GAMEPLAY: Aiming

5 replies to this topic

#1 FPViper

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo - Brasil

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'll make this short.

What if the sight had a different behavior?

Normally, people aim with the center of their vision, there is a reason why the aim sight is right in the middle of every FPS game, it's like the screen was their eye vision.

What I'm trying to explain is to maintain the torso turning while you aim with the mouse around but centering the vision at the actual sight, like the Free Look option.

It could be a nice gameplay option that would help a lot of players.

WHY:

I've seen players only shooting when the other mech is righ at the center of the screen, lot's of players have this behavior.

TECHNICALLY:

Really, just get the Free Look code to capture the mouse at the aim and join it to the torso turning code.
It should be easy... But depends on how it was coded.

#2 Thwaite

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

IMO: Mouseover shooting is the way to go for MWO... you have these advanced mech but the laser doesn't pivot? Our current weapons can pivot! ... move the mech, move the torso around with targeting mouseover = win!

#3 Chrosis

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'd like to echo this thought. Lots of trouble determining where exactly I'm aiming. Sometimes I should be nailing the target and my laser just can't seem to track that far over. Could we get a little more MW3 style targeting?

#4 direpinnacle

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

This is a good point, though I think it's actually unnessesary. The way aiming works now is pretty cool, but it's REALLY unintuitive and not explained in game. There is a video that explains it on the training grounds section but it has the worst name ever: "Weapon Convergence". That needs to be renamed to Aiming 101. It only has about 5k views as I'm writing this, as opposed to the 87k in the new pilot training vid, and it's way more important to understand.

In that vid it tells you that arm mounted weapons aim for the little circle reticle, while torso mounted weapons aim for the crosshair. This (lack of) info, combined with a new player not knowing where the weapons on a trial mech are located, makes aiming really hard to understand for someone jumping into the game.

I plan to make a new suggestion topic about the training grounds section, if I have time: it's OK, but it's missing a lot of very important things (such as: destroying the cockpit of a mech means the mech is destroyed.)

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Aiming is perfect the way it is now. I love the fact that torso mounted weapons (Cross Hair) are dependent on the torso's facing and that arm mounted weapon (Circle) have greater range of motion. It's not only more realistic, it makes for more diversity between mechs.

What the game REALLY needs is a real training ground tutorial for new players to explain things like this to them. ALL new player should be required to pass a series of tutorial checkpoints, where they learn the various aspects of piloting and combat. Players would not be able to play in a live match until they prove they understand all these concepts and graduate from the "cadet academy."

Edited by Bhael Fire, 04 December 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#6 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

The aiming system now feels really odd to new players because torso and arm speeds are taken into account. You can swipe your mouse to where your brain believes the edge of the screen is and the torso/arms don't move there. It's unnerving at first, but after you've piloted your mech long enough to get all the single variant XP slots filled... it'll feel a lot more natural.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users