I am curious, lets discuss the raven!

49 replies to this topic

#41 deXavier

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I chose to fly the Raven mostly because my favorite author, Stephen Lawhead, seems to have a thing for them (most notably in the Song of Albion trilogy, but also now in his version of Robin Hood). Besides that, it's probably one of the better looking mechs out there, at least it isn't a toaster with legs like the cicada or an armored Ithorian like the Jenner. I'll grant you that the spider looks cool, but I just can't force myself to play in a mech that looks like an elf.
Besides nostalgic reasons, the ravens seem to be amazingly versitile, and fun to play. My 2x is a fast "brawler" with four med. las. and srm4; I may not be the fastest mech out there, but I can get in and out and through brawls pretty easily, doing plenty of dammage. My 4x is an ac/20 raven--before you laugh, check out this link. And I've got a 3l that's a brutal hunter-killer with 3 med las, srm 6, srm 4, ecm. These have become my mainstays on MWO: I keep my fourth mech bay for random suicide mechs just because it's funny.

#42 Sir T

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm pretty new, only really playing for a week and a half, but I baught the Raven 3L then the 2 others with MC, and I have to say I'm having a blast.

Firstly I have to say speed is not life. I use the 2X as an LRM 15 boat, with 3 small pulse lasers and a TAG. Its slow at the standard engine speed of 84kph, but I find I dont need the speed. I can lay down the smack with the LRM 15 and TAG, and once the target crosses the 180 minimum range thats when the Small pulses start doing damage, so I swap to them. I use TAG with all my other weapon groups so if some missile user decides to help out by plastering my target I collect XP and C-Bills. Easy money.

I dont use an XL engine with my Raven 3L either. It doesn't need one, and the team needs you alive. I play it as a support scout that can assault and defend when needed. 2 MLs, 2 Streaks and a TAG w ECM. I wont beat a jenner playing the Jenner game, but I can beat a Jenner playing MY game. :)

Edited by Sir T, 31 October 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#43 Shadowscales

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Sorry for keeping this thread alive but, I like the Raven. I have gotten to master on all 3 variants. I have tried a number of ideas presented in this thread and, so far found that I prefer the 3L with its ECM best of all. I run a 235XL engine with Double Heat sinks. My load out is LRM 10 or 15 +Art 2 to 3 tons ammo and an ER LRG Laser. This with the heat sinks to keep shooting all the time is my favorite load out. It gets owned when a faster light comes hunting but, I can hold my own at range well. I usually run dry on LRM ammo and then go hunting the backs of the heavier mechs with the ER Large form range. anyway I only saw the one post for the 3M variant which I remember and which is similar to the build I use. I would really like a Hero mech of the Raven. If they could add JJ's to the 3L and make the missile slot able to shoot am LRM 10 or 15 in one salvo instead of only 6 missiles at a time then I think it would be worthy of the Hero status. As an FYI I tried a dual LRM 10 +Art 3L but the one side that had the Narc only shot out 1 missile at a time, pretty funny but worthless.

#44 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm in love with Autocannon 4X builds right now. The way people react to it is hysterical. Some games I will be completely ignored while blasting away, and on others some heavy or assault will make it his sole purpose to try and kill me (which results in him being torn apart while crossing open ground).

I got an XL270 kicking around to play the typical light build, but it's not as fun as smacking mechs with a pint sized LB10.

#45 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

I hate all Ravens!!!! I will see you on the battlefield. Mu Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

#46 DireWlf

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

Edited by DireWlf, 13 April 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#47 TheMessy

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

This thread is freakin 4 years old! What is wrong with you people!?

Edited by TheMessy, 07 May 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#48 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Holy thread necromancy batman!

#49 Baigs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Since this was Necroed... maybe someone can give me some pointers since I returned. I'm struggling with my Ravens and my Jenner loadouts.

#50 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostBaigs, on 16 August 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Since this was Necroed... maybe someone can give me some pointers since I returned. I'm struggling with my Ravens and my Jenner loadouts.

If you want fun try my Dakka-Bird

But on a more serious note, a RVN-2X with 2LL and 2ML is pretty solid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users