Full Joystick Configuration

10 replies to this topic

#1 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCazenovia, NY

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

VarietyOfCells deserves the credit for figuring this out during the Closed Beta, but since those threads are closed out, I'll repost here.

To get full support from your joystick(s) you have to create a file called [redacted] in your equivalent of the "C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Libs\Config" folder. If you don't have the Config folder, create it.

If you mess anything up too badly, the original [redacted] file is stored in the [redacted] file, which can be unpacked by your favorite unzip tool with a change to the extension.

Anyhow, here is my current file (in the spolier box) which I use to enable my CH Pro Throttle and CH Pro Pedals. My joystick is also configured although I'm choosing to use the mouse instead. Your joystick numbers (j0, j1, etc.) will vary on your configuration. As new key presses and modes are added, sometimes you have to go to the new patched defaultProfile.xml in the .pak to get the new keywords.

Good luck and thanks again to VarietyOfCells!

March 19th Update: Lots of new keyboard bindings. Most of these can be set in-game and should be set that way. I've been able to slowly remove my joystick bindings from this edited file and use the conventional in-game settings. The only unique command in the modified file below is the "lock-on" for weapon group 6, which I use for perma-tag. You can still edit this file to you heart's content, but at some point I expect PGI to put the squash on that, so your mileage may vary.

Original WG 6 line:
<action name="m_wg6" onPress="1" onRelease="1" retriggerable="1" keyboard="6" joystick="j1_button9" />

My WG 6 line:
<action name="m_wg6" onPress="1" retriggerable="1" keyboard="6" joystick="j1_button9" />

My modified file:
Spoiler

Original [redacted] as of March 19th, 2013:
Spoiler

Edited by Egomane, 20 July 2014 - 05:01 AM.
you shall not change game files except for the user.cfg

#2 nytmare banacek

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello,

I have CH stuff also and eager to get it all working.

I am, however, a little confused.

Paul's post about JS support talks about placing commands in the user.cfg file.

This thread it notes placing the command in the [redacted]

From my installation, I do see this:
[redacted]

So my question is...

So which file exactly is that I am supposed to edit? ...the user.cfg in Paul's post (not sure where this file is in my installation or the above [redacted]) ?

THX!

Edited by Egomane, 20 July 2014 - 05:02 AM.
Filenames removed, file modfications no longer allowed

#3 Vorg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

My understanding was that they want all user changes done in the cfg file and the other files not messed with. But a someone from PGI will have to confirm this.

#4 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCazenovia, NY

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

user.cfg, AFAIK, does not allow binding of keys/controls. It only allows configuration of how those controls work. In fact, for video changes, the user.cfg is now deprecated. I've never seen anything useful in the profile.xml file, and my current one is essentially empty.

One can theoretically edit the [redacted] file to do key binding, as this seems to be what gets edited when you make changes in game. I can't speak for how well this works, but I know that not all of the controls are configurable in game.

So, until I hear otherwise, I'll continue to create and edit the [redacted] file.

View Postnytmare banacek, on 30 October 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

So which file exactly is that I am supposed to edit? ...the user.cfg in Paul's post (not sure where this file is in my installation or the above [redacted]) ?

As to what we're 'supposed to' edit, I can't say, maybe a PGI member can say something. Paul's post about user.cfg is quite old and predates ANY joystick support in the in-game options.

All I can say, is that if you create the [redacted] file in the path identified above, it will work completely. In a clean install, you will also need to create the 'Config' folder under .../Game/Libs/

Note that not all of the controls that exist in the file actually connect to something in-game (e.g. the debug controls don't work).

Edited by Egomane, 20 July 2014 - 05:03 AM.
file modifications

#5 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

still waiting for analog turning support, otherwise good to go with the default [redacted] and options/editing. Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick.

removed file name

#6 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCazenovia, NY

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 31 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

still waiting for analog turning support, otherwise good to go with the default [redacted] and options/editing. Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick.

Ahh, you must not be mapping the same things I am.

Examples of commands which cannot currently be mapped in game:
  • show_battlegrid (Posted Image
  • Various in-battlegrid commands (zoom, pan, toggleInfo)
However, the list is considerably more lengthy than it was, so perhaps most people don't need to resort to creating the [redacted] file.

file modifications

#7 PeptoB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUSA, Bread Basket

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Come on PGI, please, let's get with the analog turning....been waiting a long time for this...

PeptoB ;)

#8 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCazenovia, NY

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Edit: Added vanilla config file to first post.

#9 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

@Lightfoot I use a 3d pro also, and have yet to be able to make it work.
Can you do something for me: (if not to much trouble)
copy your file send it to me in a pm?

and a general question Is there a way to "unbind" torso twist with the 3d pro?
(I hate torso twist on the joy stick, Im constantly POUNDING on the "C" key)

what program do you use to edit a .XML file?

Bow
Muskrat

Edited by muskrat, 05 November 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#10 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Lentil I will give it a shot.

Bow
Muskrat

#11 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts