[Guide] Ammo Depleting Priorities Or In What Order Is Your Ammo Being Used

62 replies to this topic

#41 OPLoN

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHellas

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostAtheus, on 02 May 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Just wanted to update this thread (which is cited in the wiki) which apparently contains inaccurate information. In my own testing, I was able to verify that my Highlander uses its Center Torso ammo before the Head. (also, it definitely fully depletes each ton of ammo before moving to the next). I just had a conversation with Thomas Dziegielewski about the order in which ammo is used, and he indicated that it varies depending on not only chassis, but also what order the ammo is added to the mech. I guess that means that for the moment, it's not going to be possible to be strategic about ammo placement without some serious trial and error.

Thank you for your very interesting info , Atheus ,
as I said I cant test all mechs obviously , only those I refer to in the prologue.
For those Mechs I vouch that they have been extensively tested and that Ammo Depletion WAS NOT dependent on the order that the ammo was added to the mech (!!!) , SO OBVIOUSLY the developer's statement is NOT TRUE.
That means that for Dragons , Stalkers and Hunchbacks at least what Mr. Thomas said is absolutely fairy tales .

But I am glad now that this is cleared out ,
developers should pay more attention to this delicate strategic ammo deployment issue ,
because honestly sometimes they have no clue what they are doing .

#42 Ryankamun II

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

One of these times (should it happen again) try being 'right' without being 'obnoxious'.

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

#43 DHeth

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

It would be nice if we could number the ammo pods in the loadout screen to tell our mechs which ammo we want it to feed first. Or some type of interface to manipulate the "ALS" screen as you called it to decide where ammo is currently loading from (Or possibly even eject ammo!)

~Edit~
Just for nostalgia:
Reminds me of some of the tabletop advanced rules and house rules we had regarding ammo.

-Each ton of ammo constituted individual "pods" or "packs". Ammo "pods" could also be purchased in 1/2 ton lots but still occupied one crit slot.
-Since the severity of ammo explosions are dependent upon how much ammo is left, we tracked what critical slot the ammo was being loaded from as it was used.
-Ammo needed to be situated in the same location or adjacent to the weapon systems it was feeding, otherwise linkage was required that occupied 1 crit space, per ammo type, per location. IE 2 Machine guns in the left arm being fed from the right arm would require "machine gun ammo" linkages in the LT, CT and RT. An LRM launcher in the Left torso with a ton of ammo and a LRM launcher in the right torso with a ton of ammo could not share ammo without a CT "LRM ammo linkage".
-Players could eject ammo the START of their firing phase. Ammo had to be ejected in entire "pods" (all the remaining ammo in that crit space).

Edited by DHeth, 22 April 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#44 Chaldon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLeft behind as a smoking ruin on Tukayyid

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:58 AM

Bump
[Pinned Request]
[Guides Request]

#45 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

*BUMP*

#46 Jcoll

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

I actually started noticing this pretty acutely with the Kitfox 4 SRM6 loadout seen above. I'd lose my right arm and there goes almost 300 rounds of unused ammo (which is usually the remaining ammo) just because it's not using the ammo in a logical sense. Why would it feed ammo all the way from the opposite side of the 'mech?

Wouldn't it make more sense if the component used the "contained" ammo first? The ammunition feed system in these things must be absolute mess.

Edit: typos

Edited by Jcoll, 26 February 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#47 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Even cooler would be a menu to simply select your ammo consumption order for each individual weapon in the mechlab. Closest thing really possible to letting you just tick off whatever box you want in BT, since deciding that each time you fire the weapon in the heat of combat would be a bit ridiculous.

#48 Draconeran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 101 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

This is still great info for planning ammo placement. :) Glad I found it. Bumped for all to see again.

Edited by Draconeran, 16 April 2015 - 05:51 AM.

#49 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

Bump

#50 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

bump

#51 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

This should stay up near the top where new players can see it!

#52 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

View PostBoulangerie, on 10 August 2015 - 02:39 AM, said:

This should stay up near the top where new players can see it!

Unfortunately, it's changed and this thread is a bit dated. The main change is the head used to be first, it's now last. Also, clan mechs don't behave exactly like IS mechs as regards ST order in some cases. The current order is (and I may have STs and limbs wrong within each (but torso then leg then arm is right) because I'm going from memory, I just spent ten minutes failing to find the answer I KNOW is in the Karl Berg thread...):

CT
RT
LT
RA
LA
LL
RL
HD

#53 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

*Bump*

#54 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

*BUMP*

#55 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Necro

#56 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

Happy to see this is still in circulation. Please, if you are a first time visitor comment on this thread in order to keep it active.

Cheers,

G7

#57 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

Is this order still accurate? Last update was 3 years ago.

Edited by OPLoN, 22 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

And Terciel's correction is almost a year old and comes with lots of qualifications.

#58 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 16 May 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Is this order still accurate? Last update was 3 years ago.

Edited by OPLoN, 22 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

And Terciel's correction is almost a year old and comes with lots of qualifications.

I'm pretty sure terciel correction is right, but I know a lot of people still think head drains first.

Ammo explosion in head is pretty much impossible/overkill . A stripped head is dead anyway.

#59 TankBadger42

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostENOVA, on 08 August 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

Thank you. I think this one looks better: http://images.akamai...165987691276D3/
I made it cause I think MWO deseves better quality content. And to promote my people )))

404 page not found...

#60 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...77#entry5368177

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users