They should remove the base capture!

60 replies to this topic

#21 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Its been suggested and ignored by the dev. team to create some bigger maps. with muti objective to break things up into solo and lance fights.

One I suggested was a map called Battleline with a river running horizontal through the map that had 3 objective markers and 2 bases.

They just not done any chages to the maps its the same 4 small maps run over and over again.

#22 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

They shouldn't removed it before adding pure team death match

#23 Clay Pigeon

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

imo base capture shouldn't unlock until 5 minutes have elapsed.

#24 rythex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Anyways, its no skin off my back, I have no money invested in this game, the lack of balanced game modes serves to do is scare away any potential casual gamer customers (bread and butter customer base of a F2P) That only affects PGI and the long term viability of this game which is going to be precarious in my opinion for the next bit.

"hur dur, go into here, go join a merc corp, load up team speak and talk to some nerds for 15-30min if you dont want to get graped in the A" sorry, most of the game playing populace doesn't want to join a clan/corp/guild, they want to drop in and have fun for 30-60min. The current game does not encourage that and is anti-fun and probably discourages people from investing anything into it.. Sorry, thats reality for you.

#25 LogicSol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postrythex, on 30 October 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

they want to drop in and have fun for 30-60min.

Congratulations, you just described what it's like to hop on a public TS server and join an drop ship for an hour.

You drop in, join a group with an open slot, have fun, then leave when you are done.

#26 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

View Postrythex, on 30 October 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes, he's not there to cap it.. yet the little life bar keeps going down. Stop making up ridiculous lame ******** excuses or justifications for lame strats used by premades against random queue people.

When people who don't know how to play the game make random complaints, this is what you get.

If you'd actually listen to what people are trying to explain to you, you might not lose all the time.

Lights hitting your base immediately is a team splitting tactic. When half your team turns around to chase the squirrel, you just lost; the ones that didn't turn around are now fighting at a disadvantage because they are outnumbered. The only thing that should go back to the base is your lights. If you've managed to lose all your lights, then the next fastest thing goes. If you have nothing fast left at all, everyone goes.

It has nothing to do with "pre-mades" it has to do with players who are bad at the game. As a light pilot who PUGs and plays on TS3, I do the same exact thing in either case ... and it works exactly the same way.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostJason McComrade, on 30 October 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

I dont know what you people think (and obviously those of you who are fast base cappers and easy credit goers will not agree to what Im going to write now) but base capture is actually killing all the mood of this game...

There are tons of reasons I can count that my point is actually valid. For example if we're goin by fluff in the BT universe, you can't just go to some planet atack them and then say to the enemy " Hey we capped your base! you lost!" they would answer you with some salvo of PPC, AC, LRM or whatever they have in their hands so this actually makes base capture obsolete...
and then there is the Grey Death Legion "Capture" of Defiance industries:

The Legion were deployed to support Gareth on Hesperus, but instead turned around and took over the Battlemech factories for House Steiner.
That is a capture.

#28 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Two reasons it should stay.
  • if some guy on the opposing team runs off and shuts down somewhere, you would have to wait the entire 15 min to end the match. Right now it would end as a tie too. They could make it so the majority wins, but still, do we want to sit around doing nothing for 15 min.
  • In a way, base cap can kind of breaks up camping. Many matches, light mechs start capping a base early in the match. This forces the other team to break up and have some mechs chase the light out of their base. I have seen teams use this tactic to break up the opposition. Often it even isolates players (when their buddies turn back without them knowing) and makes the now alone mech an easy target.
Overall a descent system. The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a target that needed to be attacked at each base instead of a counter. This means one lone light couldn't capture a base quickly. This might help promote base rushing though. Plus, if you are the last one on your team and have no weapons...your in trouble. Then again, you are probably in trouble anyway.

#29 Qayos

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Base capture is fine for "assault" maps. One reason, while it's not like "hah I have your planet now" because you capped the base, there is plenty of lore from novels and previous games where you have maintain a close distance to an objective to download an enemy computer or scan something with your sensors. So it's not so much that "I have your base" it's more like "I got my objective." whatever it is. Either sneak around the enemy and get the goods or blow the enemy away and get it afterwards.

#30 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostEldragon, on 30 October 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Wait until your last guy is an Atlas and the last enemy is an Jenner; And the Jenner just runs away from the Atlas. With Base Capture the Atlas can end the match. Without base capture you have to wait out the mission clock.

Base Capture gives you an objective and a purpose for fast moving light scouts. Previous mechwarrior games that were Team Death Match only turned into camp-fest waiting out the other team to come out of hiding.

Why would a jenner run from a atlas.

#31 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostJason McComrade, on 30 October 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Sorry but you cant... nowhere in the BT universe can you just drop to some planet with mechs (with assaults and all that! were talkin about 2 lances 8 mechs here for a scouting mission that kinda force is too slow and it will end with an disaster, and besides to drop on a planet with 2 lances you need 1 union class dropship or 2 of the dropships that was carrying 1 lance [forgot the name of that dropship now]) to just scan somewhere. To go on a scouting mission you have to drop in fast and get out fast... and in most cases such kinda scout missions are just given when the planetary defences are not threatening... so your point is obsolete...

You obviously know absolutely nothing about the TT rules.

#32 Redlor Fidelious

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

This game mode is just fine! I feel it is a better simulation of how a battle may actually go. Having to switch from offense to defense, release gained ground to go back and eliminate a real threat that has broken through the lines.

That said. I do think its time for some new game modes instead of "capture the flag".

#33 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Postlsp, on 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Why would a jenner run from a atlas.

To be fair, a good Atlas pilot can ruin your day. I had a 1v1 once at the end of a match (we were the last left on our teams) that was pretty epic.

Oh, well ... that was before they took out collisions :rolleyes:

#34 RedHairDave

• 1,299 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

if there is no cap, all you will see is min engine atlas's with the biggest weapons possible hiding in a corner with one entrance in a cemicircle waiting for the enemy to come in and be insta killed.

cap is critical.

#35 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostJason McComrade, on 30 October 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

So you admit that Scouts cannot perform there fluff role thus limiting their usefulness beyond simply keeping people locked (which isn't exactly hard to do) and state that since you've had bad experiences with poor teams you believe that base capture should be removed? Wouldn't a better option be to maintain the one feature that adds an extra strategic element to what would be a well worn death match and gives lights a proper role along with the other classes while playing with people who don't suck?

So with the fact that scouts cannot fulfill there fluff role due to how target acquisition works and the fact that

View PostLin Shai, on 30 October 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I know you're new here but just because your team isn't playing as a team, isn't communicating and coordinating, and doesn't understand the strategies involved in the game mode ... doesn't mean the game mode is broken.

Worst advice ever. You just (uselessly) left X tons at your base that isn't shooting at anything. Best way to lose.

Because leaving your you base completely open and unguarded is obviously the superior tactic, especially when it hinges on your team's lights still being combat capable to begin with and nothing heavier than another light actually capping the base ,right? I can't tell you how many times I've chased away Jenners and Hunchbacks with my Centurion all because I was smart enough to stick to the base unlike 7 other people.

#36 Mighty Gazelle

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

While I won't argue this from a tactics standpoint, it does allow for smart teams to do amazing things with only a few mechs.

For example: I was in a match last night where I'd died midway through, and all that remained on my team were an awesome and a jenner against a raven, a catapult, and an atlas. It looked grim, with the raven sitting on the point, and the two heavies nearby. But things got amazing. The awesome managed to keep the two heavies busy just long enough for the jenner to do a few strafing runs on the raven, and at the very end, the raven died just as the jenner overheated... Right on the now clear point. The point had been brought down a lot before then, and the Jenner capped it before it could even cool off. I wasn't even a part of that victory, but it was amazing, a really intense fight with a miraculous climax. I bet the enemy team felt differently, but I still remember thinking that it was glorious. Best spectating I'd ever done.

#37 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

View Postgregsolidus, on 30 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Because leaving your you base completely open and unguarded is obviously the superior tactic, especially when it hinges on your team's lights still being combat capable to begin with and nothing heavier than another light actually capping the base ,right? I can't tell you how many times I've chased away Jenners and Hunchbacks with my Centurion all because I was smart enough to stick to the base unlike 7 other people.

If you ever play a team that knows what it is doing you will lose giving up tonnage like that, yes. You are handicapping your team from the start.

If when making my scouting run I see you sitting on the base all guard-y and doing nothing ... your game just got very lonely because I'll immediately let my team know then turn around and go give my team the advantage of an extra mech at the front lines. In effect, you just did my job for me and I didn't even have to run all the way to your base. You might as well be an AFK'er. I guess at least you get to die last?

Tactics are always fluid and situational awareness is key. If your team loses its lights and the enemy still has theirs (and I can tell you, that's another job of lights - going after their enemy counterparts) you need to be aware of that. At that point you either need to push their base or fall back to defend yours.

This isn't team deathmatch (thankfully) and actually requires people to play as a team. If everyone stays at the base, that's a valid tactic ... but splitting up your team and leaving any significant tonnage there is a recipe for fail.

Edited by Lin Shai, 30 October 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#38 Rogue 6

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

GOtta love people who think Base cap is NOT part of the universe....I mean ofc no one would ever be sent on a mission to hack a Probe / Outpost and steal the enemies intel right? We all know the ONLY thing in the universe is TDM.

Give it a rest when and IF PGI ever actually adds the content they have promised, you will get other modes ( maybe ). Till then stop whining cuz you got capped, learn the mission objectives and plan accordingly.

#39 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Well, lore or not, the base cap is there as a practical game mechanic at the least. It ads some strategy at the most, and at the least, stops one mech from hiding somewhere and creating a 15min snore fest.

#40 LogicSol

• 2,411 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postgregsolidus, on 30 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

At any given moment, a light mech is usually 15 seconds from their base.
A single light mech is sufficient to defend the base from 1-2 attackers, and can request backup if out numbered. Running in and out of the cap zone while strafing will delay the count down while wearing down the attacking mech.

Remember that there is a big difference between leaving an assult mech back at the base, and having a mech with both long and short range capabilities play the rear field.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users