60 replies to this topic

#61 PinTBC

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationI'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Jason,

You got me thinking about historical examples of "base capture"

I grew up in Maine, and I've always been a bit of a history buff. You've probably heard of the 20th Maine, but I'm going to try to use them as an example, only describe the battle in Btech terms. It might be fun, it might be stupid, who knows..

Colonel Chamberlain! Take your squad and place them on the top of Little Round top. It is on our left flank, and shouldn't see any action today. Since your crew is mostly green, just keep them there and stay out of trouble.

Yes sir!

Later that morning - Colonel, we have a large squad of bad guys headed towards us!

OK gents take em down! We cannot let them hold the hill or they flank our lines!

The 20th Maine after fierce fighting managed to use their advantageous position to repel the first charge of a larger more experienced force (The PUG beat the Premade, Yeah!) The Premade withdrew and reformed. That was the first battle Now we redrop.

Next battle - Same thing, the next drop the same thing happens, the premade (only because the Confederates were seasoned soldiers) again cannot take the base as the PUG decides to play defense. Another win for the PUGs, as the premade again is forced to retreat and reform.

Third battle - PUG is in trouble - Game malfunction and they have no ammo, they are pretty much screwed until they charge in hard and heavy surprising the premade and somehow winning yet again.. This time, they not only hold the base, but they manage to kill/capture most of the other team.

Three battles - All won because someone managed to keep hold of a "base" Not one of those battles/skirmishes/scenarios won the entire battle, but had the 20th Maine lost that hilltop, there was a slim chance that the North would have won at Gettysburgh.

Having said all that, the game definitely needs some more scenarios...

Assault/Defend a single base
Assault/assault a base
Grand melee (allows all four of your ready mechs to drop in one at a time, with you selecting which you want)
Death Match
Base Capture/Base destruction

Those are a few that should be at least interesting.. There are many more..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users