Community Q&A 6 - MechLab

119 replies to this topic

#101 Hao Yu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

Despite the general love of tabletop canon, many players are aware that the classic rules weren't perfectly balanced. There's a reason why energy weapons are loved by more players than ballistics.

Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)?

#102 Redburn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Will weapon dependencies be enforced or as options? If enforced, are they automatically placed on the mech in predesignated locations?

For example :
- LMS with Artemis IV or LMS with and without Artemis IV
- Arrow IV with TAG or Arrow IV with and without TAG

Same Q but concerning CASE locations. Are these selectable, as in LMS with CASE and LMS without CASE, or AC10 with CASE and AC10 without CASE? Are the CASE units automatically assigned adjoining slots when selected, or are they user designated?

If Arrow IV System is available, are load options available, I.e., Air Defense missile, homing missile, cluster missile, etc, etc.?

#103 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Will any variant be able to switch out standard components for higher tech options such as XL engines, double heatsinks, Ferro- fibrous armor, and endo steel interal structure?

Edited by =Outlaw=, 06 April 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#104 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Can ammo be moved to any location?

It sounds like ammo can be removed and added where space is available (and space available appeared to use the TT rules, except for specific hardpoint locations), does this mean that ammo located in the arms can be moved to the torso or vice vera?

What about heat sinks and jump jets? it is often beneficial to have heat sinks in the legs for additional cooling in water, or in the Center Torso or Head to absorb hits that might otherwise go to the pilot or gyro.

#105 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

1) Will you have fractional accounting? IE can I add armor by the point, not the ton?
2) Will I be able to change engine sizes in steps less than a full movement point. IE I could effectively make a mech with 4.6 mp walking if I didn't have tonnage to goto 5.
2b) Will unused weight affect performance?
3) Will IS structure type be locked to the variant/chassis?
4) Will engine type the locked to the variant/chassis?
5) What components will be non moveable? Just the standard TT ones, or are there additional component that can not be relocated?
6) Is there a cost/downtime associated with changes?
7) Does changing your mech affect the cost to repair?
8) Is it possible to save your loadouts?

#106 Mattiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 400 posts
  • LocationAthenry

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

1. This Mechlab seems very similar to the one seen in MechWarrior 4. What, if any steps have been taken to alleviate one of that Mechlab's flaws: The inability to create certain canonical variants (The Swayback has been mentioned a few times now)?

As an extension of the above: Would a player, as opposed to purchasing a standard 'Mech, be allowed to purchase a specific canonical variant of a 'Mech? Instead of purchasing a Hunchback, would the player be able to purchase a Swayback if that was the variant they were planning on using?

2. In the 'Mechlab, when selecting weapons to place in a hardpoint, will the selection menu show only the weapons you currently own, or will it also show weapons available for purchase in the shop that would also work in the hardpoint?

#107 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

With the combination of a hardpoint and crit system, how is ammunition being handled? Does it need to be in the same location as the weapon, an adjacent location, or loaded anywhere? For example: Could I move a Centurion's AC/10 ammunition from the RT to the legs?

#108 Morquedeas

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

How will the hardpoint system apply to body sections that do not normally have weapons (but could) like the Centurion's left arm?

How will the hardpoint system apply to variants? For example would the Centurion's CN9-AL variant have a laser hardpoint in the right arm instead of the typical ballistic hardpoint? Or will some other method be used?

#109 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostMattiator, on 06 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

1. This Mechlab seems very similar to the one seen in MechWarrior 4. What, if any steps have been taken to alleviate one of that Mechlab's flaws: The inability to create certain canonical variants (The Swayback has been mentioned a few times now)?

As an extension of the above: Would a player, as opposed to purchasing a standard 'Mech, be allowed to purchase a specific canonical variant of a 'Mech? Instead of purchasing a Hunchback, would the player be able to purchase a Swayback if that was the variant they were planning on using?

2. In the 'Mechlab, when selecting weapons to place in a hardpoint, will the selection menu show only the weapons you currently own, or will it also show weapons available for purchase in the shop that would also work in the hardpoint?

I think the underlying question here is a good one. I'd like to ask this too, but with less emphasis on the canon of variants: I can't expect every canon variant will be possible under any given hard point system. Instead, my curiosity is if different variants will have different hardpoint configurations? I know you stated that the module slots will change, and I think it's a good idea if it's the case. I'm really wondering though!

(Good question, Mattiator, I just wanted to rephrase it a bit for the Q&A)

One more question: I noticed in the mock-ups you have "Lower Arm Actuator" such listed; will Actuators fit into the game play in anyway and offer more movement? Will Hand Actuators have a role of any sort?

#110 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Will Merc Corps be able to save and share configurations which are available to all members of that Merc Corp to access, download, and utilise in the configuration of their Battlemech?

In MechWarrior 4 you could share variant files with new members. It makes more sense however, considering the persistent nature of MWO to allow members of any given Merc Corp to have access to a set of approved configurations. It helps that Merc Corp get pilots into a specific configuration that they need without messing around.

#111 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ok i know that this has been asked in a few ways so far but i wanted to put it in my words using my example...
Ok I have always been a scouting mech fan, my fav being the wolfhound.. for those that don't know this mech is a laser boat sporting 1LL and 4ML.. the LL being mounted in the right arm with an extra hardpoint.. I would like to know if we can send the battlemech "back to the factory" and have say that hardpoint changed to like a ballistics hardpoint were i could mount say... a gauss. and the 4ML for some LRMs (if i have the tons)

as a suggestion this should cost a buttload of cbills and maybe even make that mech unusable for a few hours whatever you want Paul just let it be so... don't troll me or i swear my mech will be pink and purple camo

Also if we can do this will it change the model of my Wolfhound in any way?

#112 Kedma

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Will there be multiple levels for weapons..? Weapon Grades? A , B, C.. ect ect..

#113 Damien

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas, USA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 04 April 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

This thread is for questions you guys have about the MechLab blog (and only MechLab - other questions will be skipped) - we will answer next wednesday, and will answer one question per person.

I can't seem to find the answer post does anyone have a link or directions to the post?
Thanks

#114 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Check back next Wednesday.

#115 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

There is a big difference in performance between customized mechs and stock variants. What steps, if any, will be taken to balance the difference when it comes to matchmaking? In other words, will mechlab-optimized mechs be accounted for when it comes time to balance the teams and will we be shown how that will be done (higher bv, etc) when we are making changes in the mechlab?

#116 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Will hardpoints be limited in the number of critical spaces they contain and would a particular mech or variant have unused hardpoints?

#117 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

I've already asked my 1 question per person. So can someone else ask "Can we set up weapon groups in the mech-lab & save them for that particular variant, or do we have to manually assign weapons to groups at the start of each battle?" please? Thank you in advance. :)

#118 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Can we set up weapon groups in the mech-lab & save them for that particular variant, or do we have to manually assign weapons to groups at the start of each battle?

#119 lashropa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Will we have the chance to customize a chassis's hardpoints? Creating legendary variants of our own would be a great motivation to max out an XP tier!

#120 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Gathering Replies...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users