Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

SARNA.NET

"Armament

The Wolverine carries a weapons payload that is both versatile and, at the same time, limited by its ammunition dependencies. The primary weapon on board is a GM Whirlwind Autocannon/5. This weapon allows the Wolverine to cause damage to the enemy at respectable ranges. This is backed up for short range work by a Harpoon-6 SRM-6 launcher and a single Magna Mk II Medium Laser.[3]"

The above is Stock right...

WVR-6K - The 6K Wolverine is similar in many respects to the 6R. The 'Mech carries as its primary weapon a Large Laserwith two Medium Lasers and one Small Laser utilized as backup weapons. The 6K also removes the jump jets from theWolverine, adds two heat sinks, and increases the armor

That one is a canon Sarna variant...

So if I reread the armament potion of the mechlab over (and over and over) correctly, I cannot build that variant because I cannot replace the A/C with the Large Laser. Or do I have that wrong?

Note I'm not complaining here.. just want to be able to understand the fact one way or another.

#82 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 05 April 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

SARNA.NET

"Armament

The Wolverine carries a weapons payload that is both versatile and, at the same time, limited by its ammunition dependencies. The primary weapon on board is a GM Whirlwind Autocannon/5. This weapon allows the Wolverine to cause damage to the enemy at respectable ranges. This is backed up for short range work by a Harpoon-6 SRM-6 launcher and a single Magna Mk II Medium Laser.[3]"

The above is Stock right...

WVR-6K - The 6K Wolverine is similar in many respects to the 6R. The 'Mech carries as its primary weapon a Large Laserwith two Medium Lasers and one Small Laser utilized as backup weapons. The 6K also removes the jump jets from theWolverine, adds two heat sinks, and increases the armor

That one is a canon Sarna variant...

So if I reread the armament potion of the mechlab over (and over and over) correctly, I cannot build that variant because I cannot replace the A/C with the Large Laser. Or do I have that wrong?

Note I'm not complaining here.. just want to be able to understand the fact one way or another.

I know we aren't supposed to converse here, but this is a quick answer.

You are correct, you can't build the 6K from the 6R. But you could BUY a 6K, which you can then modify and put a PPC (if there's critical space) in the "gun", since it is already a laser hard point.

Edited by Dihm, 05 April 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#83 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Its been a long time since I've looked at the TT rules, can anyone point me to an online resource showing maximum armour tonnage for the weight classes?

And in addendum. The McMech is a 75 ton 'mech with a maximum of 201 armour points, how did we arrive at this when armour is "bought" in 16 point increments ?

Thank you,

Cheers.

#84 pesco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Will equipment be differentiated by manufacturer/product or simply by type? E.g. will my Dragon come with an "Imperator-A Autocannon/5" or a generic "Autocannon/5"?

PS. Another question, maybe for someone else to pick up: Once you decide to order a customization, will it be instantaneous or take some time to complete?

#85 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Is the space setup (criticals, hardpoints, however it's named) going to be the same as in the tabletop?

Weapons sizes and weights, ditto... same or changed?

----

Lastly: Given the large latitude that engine swaps will allow for min-maxing builds, have you considered giving 'mechs the ability to sprint faster than their normal rated running speed - [it's in tactical ops. pg 18]?

EDIT: I mean instead of allowing engine swaps...

The increased performance envelope might be worth playtesting to see if it makes the older assaults and such fall into a happy playable zone.

In all other respects so far: nice work. Interested to see how you will handle the omnimechs down the road.

Edited by Pht, 05 April 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#86 Vtack

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Are there currently any plans to release a Mechlab app that would allow people to purchase mechs/mods on their smart phones and then futz around in the mechlab on said smartphone rather than be productive at work?

#87 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Are hardpoints based on the critical slots of individual weapons or combined total?
Example: will a Hunchback 'swayback' have a single 6 slot Energy hardpoint in its left torso, or does it have 6 individual hardpoints? The differnce being, the able to mount 2 PPCs or 3 Lg Lasers VS. the ability only mount 1 critical slot weapons in 6 individual hardpoints.

How accurately will mech model/mesh follow customizations?
Example: If the above swayback is able to mount 2 PPCs, will the mech model reflect difference? Or if the swayback opts to remove arm mounted medium lasers, would they be removed from the model?

#88 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Jump Jet physics:

Will there be a significant benefit for a Jenner to have 7 jump jets vs only having 1 or 2? and can a Jenner, which normally has 5 jump jets add additional jump jets?

How quickly can a mech jump and can they hover/fly?
In the tabletop game, movement is based on distance over time, and a mech can generally jump up to 2/3's of their running speed. However in the mechwarrior games jumping seemed much slower, but allowed for a limited degree of control similar to flight/hovering. How will MWO jumping mechanics work?

Edited by Major Tom, 05 April 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#89 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

What about equipment like AMS?

Equipment swaps are performed exactly the same as weapons. As long as there is space and tonnage available, things like AMS, ECM, TAG etc. can be put into any appropriate spot on a BattleMech.

What are "appropriate" spots? is it a specific hardpoint type or can any mech mount any Electronic warfare quipment (ECM, BAP, IIF Jammer, TAG, AMS, etc)?

#90 Arcterran

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSwamplands-ish

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Can Merc Corps have their own personal mech bay that can be used by anyone with proper clearance in the Merc-corp? If so, can you set restrictions on who gets to modify them?

For Example: Lets say you have Three ranks in a merc-corp (lowest to highest) Rookie, Veteran, Leader, You also have a Mechbay with say three mechs. Rookies cannot access these Mechs Veterans can access these stables and use these mechs but cannot modify them, Leaders however can not only access these mechs but they can also modify them.

Edited by Arcterran, 05 April 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#91 Sym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I am fine with Hard Points.

My question is would there be a chance...that you can pay Exp, C-bills and a little real time and have a Hard Point turned into a "Soft Point" like Omnimechs have?

Edited by Sym, 06 April 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#92 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Can we switch out a standard engine for a XL version if we have the criticals for it, because If memory serves in the rules some XL engines have the same weight as others such as the XL160 and the XL170 both have a weight of 3 tons compared to there non XL versions, the 160 is 6 tons while the 170 is 6.5 tons. Is there going to be anything different about these engines besides saving weight and gaining more power for switching from a XL160 to a XL170?

#93 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

from the mech lab says , energy weapon for energy weapon, AC for AC. By that rule we could not make the swayback on our on.

#94 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Can we get a list of exactly what equipment, what tonnage, and what critical slots and placement restrictions they will have in the mech lab?

Even a disclaimer'd 'may change in final product' list would be nice.

It would be very nice to know if we'll start out at the clan invasion (presumably launch) able to equip clan weapons in slots normally filled by IS weapons or not.

#95 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Will there would be different "levels" of MechLab (with some capable of only some types of customization) and will there be restrictions with regard to when a player can access the MechLab?

That is

1.) Will the "level of MechLab" available depend on where in the Inner Sphere one happens to be and what resources are available, such that only certain planets and locations have the facilities for higher-level "refits"/customization (e.g. all possible repairs/changes, including changing engine and/or armor type), while others only offer only a lesser degree of "refits"/customization (e.g. change weapons and modules only, repair armor but not change type), and/or offer different price points for any given level of "refit"/customization?
Were the references to 'Mech Magic/Battle Magic (a mercenary unit based on Outreach that specializes in upgrading and refitting military hardware) in the ISN posts here and here portents of things to come?

2.) Will access to the MechLab be dependent on what one is doing, such as being unable to access the MechLab while in a lobby waiting for a match to start, but being able to access the MechLab between the end of a match and entering the pre-launch lobby for the next match?

#96 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I am wondering if critical slots are going to follow the standard set by table-top. Where-in every Mech chasis (excluding quads) has 47 (up to 51 if hand and lower arm actuators are removed) open slots for weapons, ammo, and other equipment. Or if there is going to be a different amount based on the size of the Mech. After all, it seems fairly obvious that there is more room in an Atlas than there is in a Jenner. To form it into a question. How many critical slots will we have to work with when making customizations in the Mechlab?

#97 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Only question I have is, "When can we get into the Mechlab?"
I like hanging out and reading the Forums, but I would really like to get into the lab and tinker around, and then get out on the field and run and gun.

So, to summarize, When?

#98 Taelon Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Will be be able to save different configurations and switch at anytime, or will they need to on different chassis and change mech entirely?

#99 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostBduSlammer, on 05 April 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

from the mech lab says , energy weapon for energy weapon, AC for AC. By that rule we could not make the swayback on our on.

The laser-boat Swayback & the missile-boat Swayback are almost certainly variants, rather than unique Mech-Lab conversions. :lol:

#100 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

This is related to Mechlab, but is a two fold question: Will we have to purchase individual parts to add to the 'mechs, and do those parts stand a chance of loss when damaged?

Bonus Question: How are typically ineffective weapons like the AC/2 and AC/5 going to be given a niche in MWO?

Edited by Victor Morson, 06 April 2012 - 03:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users