11 replies to this topic

#1 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

We need a thread for new players where vets can input some game play tips so new players can get the most out of the game. So lets start it off and if anyone else has some tips/ideas please add it to this thread.
  • Do not venture out alone, unless you are in a fast mech and can run for cover very quickly.
  • Try not to advance through the open areas of any map without cover and without understanding what the LRM situation is. (The lake on Forest Colony for example) You could be pummeled to tiny bits by LRM boats.
  • Understand the role of your mech and use it to your advantage. Do not play the assault role regardless of what mech you are in.
  • Light mechs are for scouting. If you are a light mech pilot, your team depends on you to scout ahead of the main lance and quickly identify where the enemy is. Communicate with your team about what you see. Sometimes you can see a mech and not necessarily target lock them, let your team know what battle grid position they are in. Lock targets to provide targeting to LRM boats on your team. You do this by pressing R.
  • Use Y for team chat and communicate, communicate.
  • Not sure about what the controls are? See this page. http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds
  • Use the backspace and right control keys to setup your firing groups and chain fire options.
  • Suspect a bug? Report it to: support@mwomercs.com
  • If you are overheating all the time, instead of group fire, use chain fire, this is enabled by hitting the backspace key
  • N is for night vision H is for thermal vision
  • For weapon and mech stats check out: http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/
  • If you have a missile lock on you and you are behind some cover, you can hit P to power down which will break the lock.
  • Stick together as a team, or at least find a buddy to shadow so you can watch each others backs
  • You do not earn XP in trial mechs, only mechs that you own
  • Get on an MWO teamspeak server, even if you can just listen, look at this link http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/
  • Game maps available here http://mwomercs.com/...available-here/

Edited by Cochise, 02 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#2 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

"Why is that guy cycling targets so fast?! I can't possibly get a lock..."

Actually, this is a quick communication trick! In your Light Scout Mech it's much easier to hit "R" repeatedly to "flash" each target, than it is to find time to type '4 in C4' while stearing a mech running at over 100kph. We all hear a blip and see the triangle breifly on our HUD, even if we don't have line of sight.

A really good scount will flash targets, to let you know the count, then select one that is a nice target for LRMs and leave it targetted. If you are in range - that's your queue to also hit "R" and target the sucker as a prelude to bringing the rain.

#3 scius

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

While we're at it, can you tell me the typical roles of medium mechs?

So far in my hunchback I just try to hit other mechs with lasers and not die. I usually hang around medium/heavy/assault mechs if possible and try to let them soak up the damage. But I am still confused as to what their role is supposed to be?

#4 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

View Postscius, on 30 October 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

So far in my hunchback I just try to hit other mechs with lasers and not die. I usually hang around medium/heavy/assault mechs if possible and try to let them soak up the damage. But I am still confused as to what their role is supposed to be?

Others can chime in, but generally mediums have several roles such as:
  • Killing light mechs
  • Protecting assault and heavy mechs
  • Providing fire support to all classes of mechs
Mediums are the Jack-of-all-trades and depending on what medium you pilot, can be setup to do a wide variety of things and I would say are the most flexible and fun class. It sounds like you are basically providing fire support and protecting assaults and that would be spot on for a Hunchback.

One exception to this is the Cicada which can also do other things. The Cicada's speed makes it a great scout, a great light mech killer and also a fast attack hit and run mech.

Edited by Cochise, 30 October 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#5 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, at the risk of derailing this thread... This is my opinion on the "roles" for each weight class...

Light Mechs
Primary Role - Scout. It's your job to run in, gather intel, report back, and live! It's pretty exciting to do!

Secondary role - Skirmisher. Once the battle is joined you run around harrasing things that need range to win. You get in the face of LRM boats, and run circles around things with big guns (they will never hit you)... for every second they focus on you, that's a second they aren't worrying about the guy with the huge gun angling for a shot. If they are smart, and focus on the "bigger fish" it's your job to hit them right where it hurts - your speed lets you find the sweet shots.

My favorite quote, "Found something, bringing it to you..."

Medium Mechs
Primary Role - Flanker. It's your job to position for maximum damage while your enemy focuses on that guy with "the bigger gun." Don't think you have little to contribute - you have lots! A smart Medium Pilot can be near the top of the damage charts for their team. The whole time you are not being shot at, you can put out some hurt in the same sensitive spots that a Light Mech can, but with more punch; The damage you add is fatal to ignore.

Secondary Role - Scout Killer. You are slower than a scout, but nut by much, and have more weapons usually. That positions you in a good place to make them wish they hadn't bumped into you. Just don't get lured off into the bushes by them...

My favorite quote, "I'm carying a spare AC-20 for that Atlas."

Heavy Mechs
Primary Role - Indirect / Direct Fire Support. It's your job to help focus fire on the target of the minute. You pack a punch, but are usually specialized to a particular weapon (LRMs or PPCs, for example). A good Heavy build can stand on the fire button, though, with no fear of overheating.

Secondary Role - First Engager. You are a heavy mech! With armor to take a pounding, and guns to put out the hurt. Don't be afraid to take a bit of damage being ahead of the Assault class mechs - but then you angle off to a side and open the door for the heaviest of Mechs to do their thing, which is...

Favorite quote, "You get a target, I'll bring the rain!"

Assault Mechs
Primary Role - Assault! You are the vangard. The rest of the lance is built around you - but don't let it get to your head. It's your job to take the most hits, but it's also your job to put out a lot of damage. You want to keep them focussed on you so that your supporting staff can do their jobs and take down your foes quicker. Your Alpha Strike opens a huge hole in the enemies armor for others to exploit. Anything that isn't paying attention to you fatally learn their mistake in an instant.

Secondary Role - Finisher. When the Heavies launch their initial volley and open the sight line for you, there is a decent chance that there is a ***** in the enemies armor waiting for your special attention. Get in there and finish the job!

Favorite Quote, "Follow me!"

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Mediums are great at brawling, but terrible at tanking. Hit and run! Cower behind your more ponderous brethren, then duck out when your enemy is distracted, KICK THEM IN THE BACK, then return to said cowering. Don't go toe to toe! Unless you have an advantage, that's for soon to be dead people to do. I do well when I play a medium more like a light, using terrain to my advantage between alpha strikes and all that guff. Mediums can dish out surprising firepower, but you need to protect yourself to be able to use it.

Also, stay out of the open if you can. I mist up with joy ever so slightly in one eye when I see a medium in the open, and I have LRM's.

#7 Karasumaru

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

If you're standing in front of an Atlas (including your team's), you're doing it wrong.

This applies whenever you're piloting any mech (except an Atlas, obviously).

#8 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Assaults arent just for tanking.. ..they are a mainstay of your lance, they should be there to offer you support at any range from long down to short.

I use my atlas to rain down lrm fire on targets that the scouts spot, while slowly advancing forward. When in range and i can spot the enemy i use the gauss to do further damage, then with a few mechs down, close in and mop up the mess. If you have a mech being harassed, you can step in and take some of the damage..

#9 Melthir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Play how you want, ignore people who are telling you a mech is bad unless they give you a logical reason. There are situational/group builds that are horrible when PUG'n but shine in a group setting you wont know with out experimentation. That being said most of the trail mechs are sub-optimal stop being a space poor and buy a jener rather than be stuck in a trial assult for a month. Find people work together and don't complain when you get stomped. Think 1 is there anything i could have done to change the outcome. if yes improve if no see number 1 and stop lying to yourself. Sometimes its as easy as hopping on the FREE teamspeak server and group up. If your not running in a group and lose to teamwork the game isn't unbalanced your brain is for not trying to assist/play with your teammates. People are willing to help you if your not an ***-hat If you are well they may just let you die or even accidentally trace a laser or two across your back while your fighting someone else. Hell post you build on the forum we have some super neckbeards that will jump at the opportunity to help a new person.

#10 AidenDark

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostEtherDragon, on 30 October 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Favorite quote, "You get a target, I'll bring the rain!"

Are these quotes from in game? If so the above might have been me. I usually say something along those lines to the scouts when I'm pugn in my LRM cat.

#11 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostAidenDark, on 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Are these quotes from in game? If so the above might have been me. I usually say something along those lines to the scouts when I'm pugn in my LRM cat.

These are things that others and myself have said, that is sort of emblematic of one aspect of the primary role. My personal favorite was when I said, "I'm carying a spare AC20 for that Atlas..." everyone got a chuckle from it, and we ended up winning the match. =)

#12 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Updated original post

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users