Painted -Table top ELH lance

4 replies to this topic

#1 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Change of scale today for me (instead my large scale B'tech models). I wanted some table top counter parts to pose next to my Large mechs to demonstrate scale. So here they are in the ELH desert ridge line camo.

Posted Image

I also tried out a new technique of painting reflected light to give my atlas that MWO glow.

Posted Image

Finally the existing highlander miniature looks like something out of 60's sci-fi show. I wanted something that looked more like the MW4 version the Highlander IIC miniature comes close. I modified the torso and the arms, deleted the neck and cut down the legs to getting us closer the MW4 concept art of David White (mechmaster). I also added the reflected light effect from the cockpit.

Posted Image

If you like too see more of David White's work you can here:
http://mecha-master....gallery/9755897
And if you like to see the Reflected light tutorial I used you can watch it here;

Edited by lyonn, 05 April 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

very nice :mellow:

#3 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Awesome work! I wish I had half the skill you do (and a fifth of the patience no doubt required) at painting minis. You've really got the detail.

I'm the first to admit I'm not a big fan of the ELH- but even I have to say these are great 'mechs! <_<

One thought though is while I can see definately where you're going from the refracted light, the impression I get from the concept art example you used is that the light source is close to the ground and behind the mini- probably the sun is setting.

The effect doesn't quite work for me where you fully illuminated the mini...which is needed to see all that awesome detail.

Maybe you could try turning out the lights, and then setting up a warm light behind and below them? So that the top is covered in shadow? The real refracted light could be enhanced by the paint job...might make a really nice effect.

As it is, with no real shadows on the top part, it looks more like paint, or like a 'mech that's painted grey and been wading through the dirt and sand :mellow:

#4 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

omfg dat highlander :0 :0 :0

#5 Chatanith Raeven

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

wow, great work man!