81 replies to this topic

#21 dilluminati

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Have a bump.
I was disappointed to see that, as of today, you now require registration to view mech builds.
Because of this I won't be returning to your site.

Edited by dilluminati, 01 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#22 Clogman

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Nice site i like it. Just missed a section for the Yen-lo-wang :)

#23 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

View Postdilluminati, on 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Have a bump.
I was disappointed to see that, as of today, you now require registration to view mech builds.

Sorry to hear that... I'm not affiliated with the site just a user and it has lots of great builds!

It costs nothing to register, just like almost every other website in existence.. use your email and make a password?? Sad you won't use a sight because of something trivial :)

Well Happy Fragging :)

#24 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

View Postdilluminati, on 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Have a bump.

Awwwww, thats too bad man! But we can't please everyone :D

Surprised more people don't have "Catch All" Accounts for their email. I know I use a specific email account to sign up on sites, forums, games, whatever. My mains never get spam because I don't give them out.

View PostClogman, on 01 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Nice site i like it. Just missed a section for the Yen-lo-wang :P

The YLW build has been incorporated into the Centurion section however nobody has yet posted a custom build of it. Apparently it's just that awesome as it is? (shrugs)

#25 Longshank

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Like most I see the reason to require to register to post specs but it is rediculous to require a login to just view specs. For that reason alone I have no use for that site. Curious how many game spec sites require login's to view the forums? None that I know of, so the second question is why?

Good luck but someone will make a similar site that doesn't require any hoops and it will become the reference site. Most clan sites will already have this information on their own forums too, especially the min/max.

#26 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I registered. I understand why the mandatory registration. In order to "sell" an idea or a website, you have to have a following. If there are 5000 users, it has more "value" than an idea with only 35 "identities".

Since it took me all of 30 seconds to do, I don't mind registering to support the cause.

I was really shocked that my JR build wasn't posted. I thought it was a "cookie cutter", but none of them incorporated the AMS, 4xML, 300XL, 2xSSRMs all in one build.

#27 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostLongshank, on 02 November 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

Good luck but someone will make a similar site that doesn't require any hoops and it will become the reference site. Most clan sites will already have this information on their own forums too, especially the min/max.

Perhaps that is true, but I find it unlikely.

The game mechanic prevents all that "Z0MG Super Secret Build" type mentality. When you target an enemy you can see exactly what he has in terms of weaponry. By looking at a targets speed you can figure out (within reason) what type of engine he has. Once you have that information you can reverse engineer any "super secret clan build" within an acceptable margin of accuracy. In fact I know a fellow who uses spreadsheets who can reverse engineer a mech quite quickly and easily. He may not get the armor value per location exact but that is really personal preference anyways.

While I can appreciate your perspective, I don't agree with it.

A community is built by those who participate and give, not by those who lurk and take. MechSpecs is about bringing the community of Mech builders together so they can exchange ideas in an organized and targeted place more than it is about feeding the masses.

Like Lanessar said; in order to "sell" a site you have to show traction.

For instance, if I were to send a proposal to IGP for official endorsement they would want to know things like; How many users are actually utilizing the site? Is it something we want to present to our valued customers/players? Is it something we can give an official nod to?

Those types of questions require factual answers.
Those factual answers must come from somewhere other than "Guest" metrics or users with 2 posts.

If we ever decide to go that route then we will have the data.
If we ever go that route and a proposal for endorsement is rejected then we may remove the registration requirement and allow anyone access to anything.

250+ people HAVE registered in the last 24 hours so I'm pretty sure the community at large is okay with things.

Like I said before; you can't please everyone and I'm not about to try. Thanks for the bump though! :D

View PostLanessar, on 02 November 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

I was really shocked that my JR build wasn't posted. I thought it was a "cookie cutter", but none of them incorporated the AMS, 4xML, 300XL, 2xSSRMs all in one build.

Then post the build man!!! :P

#28 Indroow

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

I can definately recommend this site to any Mechwarrior. The forum helped improve my already succesful build, and gave me some better insights in the heat sink department.

#29 Larshas

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm throwing in my vote with the lot who are annoyed you have to register just to view material and see what you all have to offer. I could understand if this was a clan forum, and you wanted to keep your builds and strategies to yourselves, but this is supposed to be a public site for all to come to.

You're supposed to sell us on how great your site is and show how we should WANT to be a part of your new community before asking us to make an account and contribute. :blink:

#30 Athomahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Mechspecs.com healed my **** and turned my wife into a jenner.

THANKS MECH SPEC!

#31 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostLarshas, on 02 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm throwing in my vote with the lot who are annoyed you have to register just to view material and see what you all have to offer. I could understand if this was a clan forum, and you wanted to keep your builds and strategies to yourselves, but this is supposed to be a public site for all to come to.

I understand what you are saying; I truly do however my earlier posts cover my position quite thoroughly I believe. Besides, you don't HAVE to register. No one is forcing you to. If you decide to then it is your decision to do so and it's still free one way or the other.

View PostLarshas, on 02 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

You're supposed to sell us on how great your site is and show how we should WANT to be a part of your new community before asking us to make an account and contribute. :D

We will miss your input :blink:

#32 Ravendreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 549 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Glad I found the place, has a good amount of information to go through and friendly people willing to work with suggestions.

#33 Corwin Maxwell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

MechsSpecs.com the place to be were all the cool Techs. and Mech Bunnies hangout!..
And yes the lead Mech Bunny LAZNAZN is there as well!.

#34 drloser

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

I just had a look at the forum and there are just people posting their favorite builds. They don't use specs, math or anything to optimize them. Just random builds. Nothing special...

Exemple:

Name: 5 Round Rapid

Chassis: HBK-4SP

Engine: Standard 210(68.0 KPH)

Weapons:

5ML

2SSRM6 (sic...)

3T SSRM AMMO

1 CASE

Heat sink: 14

Endo steal

Armor : 336 (FF)

It's expensive an not heat efficient...

PS: forcing ppl to register is lame.

Edited by drloser, 03 November 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#35 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

View Postdrloser, on 03 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

I just had a look at the forum and there are just people posting their favorite builds. They don't use specs, math or anything to optimize them. Just random builds. Nothing special...

I know two builders on there who use math and spreadsheets to optimize their builds. Other people post what works for them due to their ability to manage heat or their roles etc.

Do you need to do max DPS per alpha? Gear towards that
Do you need to keep the mech running cool while you mash the trigger? Gear towards that
Do you need to act in a support role and rain down death and destruction? Gear towards that.

Currently MWO doesn't have some secret formula of weaponry or equipment that makes you invincible. At some point in time the player has to step up and become the pilot required to wield those weapons. So when people "Min Max" a ride they do so by utilizing what works for them.

Example: Garth can run in mechs that are WAY hotter than mine and still make out like a bandit. Why? Because that is his play style. He does more DPS per alpha than I do. However if you were to look at stats mine are probably significantly higher than Garth's and I do less DPS per alpha. Why? Because my play style is different than his and I am using what is optimized for me just as he is using what is optimized for him.

In terms of using formula or math? I certainly use it! Especially when it comes to heat management. Why? Because I don't manage heat as well as some other folks or because my play style is different. I may not do as much damage per alpha but what I do have to work with works quite well.

Posted Image

That was all done using the "Find 'em and Grind 'em" Jenner build on MechSpecs.com with all the mech unlocks at BASIC only (and only x1 not the full suite unlocked bonus). Is it the most awesome uber build out there? Probably not. Is it optimized for my play style? Yep! So essentially it's Min Maxing that Jenner chassis for me.

View Postdrloser, on 03 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

PS: forcing ppl to register is lame.

We didn't force you. You wanted to view builds, you registered; end of story.

#36 Heretic1311

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostLilMookie, on 01 November 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

commando d2 with 3 ssrm2's a spl with stock engine 3 tons of ssrm ammo and as much armor as itl fit, i have no problem taking on an assault mech or even a pesky Jenner

I agree with you on assaults, i ripped the heart of a Centurion out of his chest (through the back) with a simmilar config, just the laser was a standard medium. but i´m too slow, Jenners outmanouver me and i´m dead.

#37 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Wow. Just ... wow.

The number of people complaining about having to register to view the MechSpecs site is astounding. It takes a tiny amount of time and there are absolutely no drawbacks. If you're really that paranoid about giving out info, just create a free throwaway E-mail address and use that. It's not that hard, people.

For the record:
1. There are no advertisements on the site. It is funded by donations from people who like the site and want to keep it up and running (yes, including myself -- I'm proud to say I was the second person to donate! The first donor beat me by an hour or something, IIRC).
2. I've been a member for a long time, and I haven't received any spam mail whatsoever.

MechSpecs is a great site. Lots of good builds in a well-organized format (including a template to make the build post look better). Each build is its own topic, and there are prefix tags that make it easy to look for builds based on whatever variant you are using.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 03 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#38 Ravendreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 549 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I find the site very useful for the information it has. There is really no reason to not register and join it, even if you never post anything at least having a free place to post our builds and talk with others about those same builds is a good thing.

#39 Athomahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostLanessar, on 02 November 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Sounds like a good build, will have to check it out.

#40 Athomahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

So many haters on this internet. I am disappoint.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users