Disable Heat?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Disable Heat for matches (347 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like an options to turn off heat and/or unlimited ammo for matches?

1. Yes (8 votes [2.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

2. Voted No (339 votes [97.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 97.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 06 April 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I've never known Aegis to be a troll and I would stand by his opinions even if I disagree.

The world is full of, well, bigots. (Not in the traditional sense, but for the literal translation) A bigot is an intolerant person who believes only their opinion is what is right. They believe all subjective topics have a definitive objective answer; theirs.

You can either let the bigots get to you and scold them for not understand what an opinion is, or you can ignore it. I used to be of the former, but due to the overwhelming number of times I've come across them, I'm leaning more towards the latter now.

I mean, when it comes down to it, if I have an opinion of A, and you have an opinion of B, and neither sees the other person's point, then that's pretty much the end of discussion. Some people instead take any opinion other than theirs as personal assault on them and they then start in with the insults and arguing.... I don't understand it, but it definitely happens a lot. I usually only get defensive when someone tells me my OPINION is wrong. What an absurd idea. :)

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 06 April 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

So unless we bow down to 9 year olds who can't grasp, or wont grasp the game mechanic, we should be ready to pay for it. Where do I sign up for my monthly subscription. Far as I'm concerned, good money, well spent.

Insults however you want to justify it, I'm just saying that HOLA players need to come correct and make sure they're actively buying things in the market as a way to thank PGI for any lost sales they might have incurred from players excluded from the game due to a preference.

I got my wallet open and am ready to both buy and to have buyer's remorse once cooler things come out. :angry:

#82 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

A preference? Really?

Of course I'm bigoted, and you can bet I'll remain so. But if the person who remarked had ASKED if i was referring to you rather than making statements, I would have had the chance to clarify that I was not... under the bridge.. Its a badge, worn with pride now :)

Shall we give them unlimited armor as well, how about the other illimitable items... like spawns? or no crits? or how about Omni's at the start, with infinite hardpoints to mount Behemoth like weaponry on a Jenner, with a 400 rated engine. Because the game is to hard for them otherwise?

As for an insult, the very concept is insulting, and as evidence I think the voting speaks to that. NH/UA.

When have Mech players been so lazy as to not be willing to learn or grow and to help new players LEARN rather than concede its too hard? Never in my experience.. I spent hours learning, and teaching this game to new players, and I am still learning and still teaching. No one I have ever played battletech with ever got so frustrated as to throw in a towel and say "that's just too hard."

And if they are insulted, or you feel I have been insulting to a portion of the players, who might be over-analyzing the inference that SOME level of maturity and attention is required to be involved in this game or those like it and, universe forbid, an important portion of its core rules are far to hard for them to grasp, let alone attempt to interpret and incorporate and then learn to overcome... then shame on them as intended.

Then I have been insulting and my purpose was enormous success.

Give everyone everything, rules are for those old rigid fogies who simply don't get this "new generation". Its laziness, an excuse... and a really poor one at that.

Again, my "Troll" reference was not at you Aegis.. but referred to that fact that this post, the original post, is just an effort to explore how to get the most respondents in smallest amount of time, about a topic that should go without question as a core component of the game, for no intellectual gain. Wasted enough time on this, my ops stated, fairly clearly I think.

My apologies for the finger seeming to be pointed at you Aegis, blue on blue fire.
But that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 06 April 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#83 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 April 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Heat On Limited Ammo (opposite of) No Heat Unlimited Ammo

Training encompasses the exact same things between HOLA and NHUA, the only difference is you don't have the management concerns of Heat and Ammo in NHUA. A NHUA player may find that their tactics and configs are not as efficient in HOLA games.

Gotcha...missed that acronym. Thanks.

As to training, I assumed one would use NHUA as training for HOLA matches, which would be less than optimal.

I still think it would only work if it was completely separate from the "regular" universe. Personally, I think it would feel too much like a kids game. Just run and gun. Imagine the mechlab, remove all the extra Heat sinks to stick in more lasers......that's not BT/MW. It's some ******* version that I have no interest in at all.

#84 Diomed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

The fact that almost 99% of the votes are in favor of using heat tracking bodes well for this community. :)

#85 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Wow....I don't think I have ever seen such a 1 sided vote on a poll here.

For once the user base is united mostly :-)

Edited by AdamBaines, 06 April 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#86 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostDiomed, on 06 April 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

The fact that almost 99% of the votes are in favor of using heat tracking bodes well for this community. :)

True and not just "Heat: yes or no", not even the option for NH games. No to that too because once the option is there, the players will divide into two camps which do not mix. As someone pointed out, MW4 suffered from this division due to heat just being an option.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 06 April 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#87 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 April 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

If MWO doesn't support NH variants of play to sate the will of the community (and I'm fine with that), I'm still going to personally hold players fully responsible for any lost revenues from any players it would have excluded.

I don't subscribe to the point of view that hypothetical people are worth real world dollars.

Anyone who refuses to play a game because they can't alter the ruleset at will isn't really a loss to me as a player, and I really doubt they'd be a financial loss, either. My experience tells me that anyone who wants to be hand-held and catered-to on that level, or who can't be bothered to figure out heat management, is likely to bring lots of complaints and long wish-lists for the devs, and plenty of grief and emotional meltdowns to unleash on their fellow players, but not enough cash to make any of it worthwhile.

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 April 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

There's conviction, and then there's putting your money where your mouth is. All I'm saying is that if MWO is HOLA only, make sure you thank PGI with some $$$ ! :)

If somebody builds me a game worth playing, they've earned my money,

#88 HepatitisTK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSpace-Jello!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Just a quick question off topic. Earlier posts talked briefly about training. Does anyone know if there will be anything of the sort in MWO? I haven't seen anything official about it but I may have missed it. I certainly could do with brushing the massive amount of rust off my mech piloting ability... when i say brushing i mean needing a salvo of bunker busters to crack the shell of rust. :)

#89 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostHepatitisTK, on 06 April 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Just a quick question off topic. Earlier posts talked briefly about training. Does anyone know if there will be anything of the sort in MWO? I haven't seen anything official about it but I may have missed it. I certainly could do with brushing the massive amount of rust off my mech piloting ability... when i say brushing i mean needing a salvo of bunker busters to crack the shell of rust. :)

I can't imagine the developers wouldn't have a section of their games dedicated to helping new and old players brush up on their skills, but they haven't explicitly stated that anything like that will be included.

#90 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Like almost all multiplayer games, there's going to be ones that use ingame mods (no respawn time, etc), it's obvious there's going to be server mods that have no heat and no ammunition

#91 Makoraias

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

If there was no heat, I can't help but imaging the carnage that would ensue in the game (which is, I believe, is already hectic enough).

Plus, from a logical standpoint, it doesn't sound even remotely possible since Mech's are the mobile equivalent to furnaces and not, say, a blow dryer.

#92 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Solis, I'm notified that you replied to my message, but you're on my ignore list. Yeah, it's a bug in the forum software, but any one my ignore list is not having their messages read. Sorry.

#93 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 April 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Solis, I'm notified that you replied to my message, but you're on my ignore list. Yeah, it's a bug in the forum software, but any one my ignore list is not having their messages read. Sorry.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to make this known. Nonetheless, that's a shame; it's a good response.

#94 Fermius Rad

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Heat should always be tracked, but some maps should have water for quick(er) cool downs, especially if reloads are allowed.

#95 Jake Grafton

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostSquareSphere, on 05 April 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Heat and ammo should ALWAYS be on. That's how MW is supposed to be played.

100% agree here. I did my share of loading up on PPCs but it gets old real quick. I liked using the Awesome as a good analogy. Heat management was critical to that beast. There should be no way that a mech like that can fire constantly without a signifigant Heat penalty.

#96 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

NHUA is not allowed. any babbys that even think about it need to get out.

#97 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostWilliam Petersen, on 06 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to make this known. Nonetheless, that's a shame; it's a good response.

Because due to forum limitations, he isn't automatically notified when quoting someone who is ignoring him that they won't get his message. The forum also notifies you (if you've set that up) when someone on your ignore list replies to you.

#98 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I think having coolant heat and system heat would be interesting. The coolant heat would slowly match the system heat the mech would cool faster till they match then cooling would slow. It would prove interesting.

Edited by Eegxeta, 06 April 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#99 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

The poll question is:
"Would you like an option to turn of heat for matches?"

The majority is "No" - meaning people do not want to have the option available in MWO for people to choose. There are a few people who do. Why are people getting into a urinary olympics about it.

Play at your best within the constraints of the game or not at all.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 06 April 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#100 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 06 April 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

There is NOTHING that says MWO will have such options.

Because all 3 versions of the previous MW game did have that option and it widely considered a poor, game-laming, option. Because PGI considers poles important and relevant. They carefully consider player opinion on every part of the game balancing process.

The option to disable heat is the same thing as the option to enable heat and some players will look at it as, "why would I want to enable a condition in the game that takes away my shooter fun and reduces my frags." That's a whole different player mind set that would not enjoy the challenges of a BT action sim where heat is part of it. It would divide the player base and drive away people just like MW4.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 06 April 2012 - 03:32 PM.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users