I need a good scout killer.

55 replies to this topic

#21 Funkwad

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I find that Streak SRMS are effective killing scouts, everything else depends on the server liking you or not since their screaming around the map like a bunch of headless chickens.

#22 Kahna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 31 October 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

SSRMs will make a light mech have to pay attention to you, but try to bring something else with them if you can. If you come up against an experienced Jenner pilot it will know how to avoid streak missiles in open ground.

View PostKunaizel, on 02 November 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

What you want to kill scouts are lasers (small, medium), SSRMs, and arms (to get wide angle shots as they circle). Doesn't matter what mech as long as they have those hardpoints.

View PostMason Grimm, on 31 October 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I prefer using scouts to kill scouts...

The only three posts here with actual advice against good Jenner pilots. Streaks are useful, but on slower Mechs any good Jenner pilot will simply either call down the rain from LRM equipped Mechs (no one likes Streak boats) or get in close and cut back and forth to avoid lock-ons.

The best defense against a good Jenner pilot (rare) is another good Jenner pilot (again rare).

And sorry, Ravens and Commandos are not good counters. The Raven is ridiculously slow and the Commando lacks the armor to trade blows and Jump-Jets to keep up with the Jenner's maneuverability.

#23 AlphaPiAlpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Bought a Centurion, swapped the LRM 10 for 2x Streak SRMs.. that is a close range fighter and hits jenners and other little buggers very well.

#24 Buttski

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

jenner d is the best scout killer imho.

#25 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

View PostKahna, on 02 November 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

The only three posts here with actual advice against good Jenner pilots. Streaks are useful, but on slower Mechs any good Jenner pilot will simply either call down the rain from LRM equipped Mechs (no one likes Streak boats) or get in close and cut back and forth to avoid lock-ons.

The best defense against a good Jenner pilot (rare) is another good Jenner pilot (again rare).

And sorry, Ravens and Commandos are not good counters. The Raven is ridiculously slow and the Commando lacks the armor to trade blows and Jump-Jets to keep up with the Jenner's maneuverability.

What? A com 2d with 3 streaks will absolutely make jenner pilots crap their pants.

#26 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

LSQ, 3 streak commandos can put out some hurt if used right, but a jenner can easily field 2 streaks and lasers while having better armor and maneuverability. If you can make the commando work in that role more power to you, but popular opinion is with the jenner being the best light right now. This will likely change when ECM and BAP are added to give raven its own role.

#27 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Any homed missile. With current hit detection system, anything else is not reliable. But once the collisions are introduced again, it will get better.

#28 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

The Cat A1 with 6 SSRM2s. It's the only Mech I don't fight - I leave my teammates to do that job.

Not only does it track the scout, your Cat is virtually impossible to backstab thanks to its insane torso twist angle.

That said it might not make a good scout killer because no scout in their right mind would attack a Streak Cat without backup when there are easier targets to kill.

#29 ehzorg

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Hayashi has it right there - don't take your light against a StreakCat. Target him and call down some LRMs from afar.

That said, a decent StreakCat pilot will force you to engage them by either camping a cap point or guarding the juicy support targets that lights typically look for.

Edited by ehzorg, 03 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#30 SimonJames1975

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

I find chaining 6x Streaks on your Streak Cat is also quite good. The constant hammering of streaks on a mech makes the cockpit shake terribly and can be very disorientating. It also looks and sounds very cool.

#31 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I like the LBX-10 on scouts. It still has equivalent damage to the AC10 but the shots spread out giving you more lenience against light targets.

SSRM2's are also good for dealing with scouts.

As for anti-scout mechs I recommend a Hunchback of some kind upgraded with a XL to go 80+ which has proven effective or a Cicada which itself is suited for the role. The only thing to remember about the Cicada is to upgrade it's armor otherwise you wont last long.

#32 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

A friend of mine uses a streak cat, and advocates using the 6 SSRM2s in grouped fire mode. Reason being - the pilots that he gets to encounter usually are good enough so that he only gets a couple of seconds (3,4) to fire, failing which the chance is completely lost. He uses chainfire SSRMs on heavier mechs though, to throw their aim off - this isn't relevant in the case of the light mech, who won't live long enough to fire much anyway.

Those that aren't good enough at avoiding fire such that he would be able to chainfire SSRMs effectively on them.. usually I dispose of them long before his Catapult can reach the battle site.

As a light pilot, grouped SSRMs are scary to me as well. When I suddenly lose all my rear armour in a single hit, I know it's a Streak cat - nothing else can come close to doing that. Thanks to buggy netcode, firing delays and all that jazz, the other weapons that would hit that hard (AC/20, Gauss) would never hit me, anyway.

#33 Death Knell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

3 missile slot commando with 3 SSRM2 and a small laser destroys other lights. Each SSRM2 does 5 damage, so you pretty much always get 15 damage on target. If they're running, that's to rear armor so....they tend not to survive long.

#34 DTheSleepless

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostDeath Knell, on 04 November 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

3 missile slot commando with 3 SSRM2 and a small laser destroys other lights. Each SSRM2 does 5 damage, so you pretty much always get 15 damage on target. If they're running, that's to rear armor so....they tend not to survive long.

This. I use a Streak Commando to hunt other Commandos, Ravens, and laser-based Jenners. A Commando with Streaks and an XL Engine is incredibly nimble and effective.

#35 Tarys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I use a Raven 3L to take down other lights. As for now only a few Jenners were able to survive without help from their team.

#36 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostRaalic, on 01 November 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

I actually really like the CN9-A as a scout hunter. XL260, 3 SSRM2, 2 MPL, 1 MG, DHS, maxed armor. Try it out. Streaks are obviously your best friend as a light hunter. This mech is relatively fast (84kph), and kills lights in a matter of 2-3 salvos along with continuous MG/MPL fire to CT.

But what is the MG for?

#37 Raz Skullcrusher

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOahu, Hawaii

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I guess my scout hunter is different from everyone else's. I prefer using my Awesome 9M as my premier scout (and pretty much everything) hunter. With an assault mech moving as fast as a light mech with its heavy armor and firepower usually scares the crap out of scout mechs. I can core out a light mech in 2 salvos and stay cool running while off to the next.

Awesome 9M:
4 MPL's
3 SSRM's
DHS
385XL engine (bout 84 kph)

#38 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

How is the turning radius on that 9M? Atlases even with maxed XL engine are still too sluggish for me to be able to use them for anything, but I haven't tried Awesomes before.

#39 Raz Skullcrusher

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOahu, Hawaii

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Well the turn radius though not as fast a light mech is actually pretty decent (espcially) once xp is used to buff it up a bit more.

#40 WarhawkX

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think I am probably going to get some laughs from this post but screw it. I set out to design a fast mech that could diliver a payload into any mech and turn and walk away.

Using the DRG-1N I found I could mulch light mechs like nothing, INCLUDING fast jenners.

Here's a loadout I use.

RA-AC 5
RT-AMS + 1 Ton AMS ammo
Head - 1 Standard Heat Sink
CT- 2 SSRM 2's with XL Engine 300 (Trust me you want this on a dragon anyway, lets you run a gauss DRG-1N config that rocks.)
LT- 1 Medium pulse laser, CASE, 2 SSRM Ammo, 2 AC/5 Ammo
LA - Medium pulse laser
LL- 2 Standard heat sinks
RL - 2 Standard heat sinks

In total you net yourself a shiny 1.29 heat efficency, with a firepower of 27, but we all know firepower is alpha strike value only. The real deal about this mech is it's speed lets you stick close enough to a light to get off 2 medium pulse shots, 1-2 streak volleys, and if you line up that AC you can fire that too.

Here is the kicker about this build. It ALSO, can engage awesome's and atlas's close range and harass them JUST like a light mech can because of its speed. Sure you have a bigger profile but even if you lose the AC there is so much firepower still there to make the opposing team turn and face you stupidly, letting your team get the drop on the backside.

I know I know, the DRN's are mostly piles of crap in most situations but this really does engage at close to medium ranges on ANY target with a pretty good success rate.

*prepares for incoming flamage, of the ignorant masses.*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users