[Guide] Why you should love Fatlas! (A C-Bill grinding guide for the Atlas)

51 replies to this topic

#21 Aladine

Dezgra

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

Was wondering a good mech do do this with? Non-Founder.

AS7-D-DC cram 3 LRM 15
or
AS7-D-D basicly the same exact build as the founder?

Is it worth it for the extra LRM? Or should I just go for the AS7-D-D? Or is there a better choice?

#22 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostAladine, on 04 November 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Was wondering a good mech do do this with? Non-Founder.

AS7-D-DC cram 3 LRM 15
or
AS7-D-D basicly the same exact build as the founder?

Is it worth it for the extra LRM? Or should I just go for the AS7-D-D? Or is there a better choice?

I've always liked the RS personally, because you can switch to doing four Large Lasers in the arms when you want to "play seriously".

I also like the DC because you can fit 3 Streaks or 3 SRM6's on the thing.

AC20 + 3 SRM6 = 65 damage alpha in a brawl, and you can have the sinks to do it constantly.

#23 CrazyPenguin

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

I wish I had taken a screenshot, but I just used this build and managed 1,450 damage dealt, with 6 kills and 2 assists. I also took 20 damage, if that. Not your typical fight I'm sure, but it made me giddy.

#24 Malavai Fletcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 143 posts
  • LocationErrrrr....C3?

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

The problem with this build is you take out the left torso and no more LRM spam,you are then stuck in a heavily armoured 100t monster sitting way way in the back with a bunch of med lasers.This problem becomes even worse when people start using AMS more and grouping together,your LRMs are just gonna get shot down.

I run the Atlas k alot,like 75 games now since the last reset,a full brawler/tanky design.With dual AMS plus AMS from friendlies around me,LRMs are just meh,an annoyance at best.The Atlas is so much better suited leading the charge rather than hiding in the back.

I have no doubt this works well against people in trial mechs(no AMS) and others who dont think to shoot the left torso out,but they will learn.

#25 Xymor

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thank you, Vechs!

#26 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostMalavai Fletcher, on 06 November 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

The problem with this build is you take out the left torso and no more LRM spam,you are then stuck in a heavily armoured 100t monster sitting way way in the back with a bunch of med lasers.This problem becomes even worse when people start using AMS more and grouping together,your LRMs are just gonna get shot down.

I run the Atlas k alot,like 75 games now since the last reset,a full brawler/tanky design.With dual AMS plus AMS from friendlies around me,LRMs are just meh,an annoyance at best.The Atlas is so much better suited leading the charge rather than hiding in the back.

I have no doubt this works well against people in trial mechs(no AMS) and others who dont think to shoot the left torso out,but they will learn.

Your Atlas K isn't for grinding C-Bills.

This is a C-Bill grinding guide.

-___-

#27 h00n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I've had some extreme success with what I call the Hatelas.

Hatelas because it hates everyone.

2 LL
1 gauss rifle
DHS
SA
SS

Yes, DHS.

I haven't overheated firing both lasers constantly in between Gauss volleys.

It won't make you the money on damage bonuses, but a good player (i.e. someone who can aim) can easily kill 3-4 mechs a game with similar payouts.

It's a bit more expensive, though. I never repair items, only armor and structure, so 3-5k a repair bill on a 250k payout is livable for me. DHS and playing around with FF and ES sucked a bunch of money (neither are worth it, DHS works wonders for less weapons, more alphas).

You can't carry your team, but you can assure the win out of sheer hatred and sustained firepower.

#28 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

View Posth00n, on 06 November 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

I've had some extreme success with what I call the Hatelas.

Hatelas because it hates everyone.

2 LL
1 gauss rifle
DHS
SA
SS

Yes, DHS.

I haven't overheated firing both lasers constantly in between Gauss volleys.

It won't make you the money on damage bonuses, but a good player (i.e. someone who can aim) can easily kill 3-4 mechs a game with similar payouts.

It's a bit more expensive, though. I never repair items, only armor and structure, so 3-5k a repair bill on a 250k payout is livable for me. DHS and playing around with FF and ES sucked a bunch of money (neither are worth it, DHS works wonders for less weapons, more alphas).

You can't carry your team, but you can assure the win out of sheer hatred and sustained firepower.

I do a similar build, only with 3 Large Lasers and about ~30 single heatsinks.

That build isn't crippled by losing your gun rack.

2 Large Laser
2 Medium Pulse Laser
2 Streak2's works well too.

#29 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostVechs, on 04 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I've always liked the RS personally, because you can switch to doing four Large Lasers in the arms when you want to "play seriously".

AC20 + 3 SRM6 = 65 damage alpha in a brawl, and you can have the sinks to do it constantly.

So if you had to pick one Atlas which would it be? Im about to buy one and im not sure which to get. Thanks.

#30 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostGoregrimm, on 06 November 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

So if you had to pick one Atlas which would it be? Im about to buy one and im not sure which to get. Thanks.

I prefer the Atlas RS. I really wish my Founders Atlas was the RS model and not the D.

Oh well.

It's the fact that it has 4 energy hardpoints that are arm-mounted. That makes an amazing difference.

Run a 4 Large Pulse Laser build and watch any scout that tries to mess with you proceed to crap his pants when you pop him with an alpha.

#31 Jaynen

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I really had fun with my LRM atlas before but i dont remember which model I was using. I just remember it was one that shot the LRM 15s 5 rockets at a time which meant a tighter cone? and was a bit more machinegun

#32 AkalaOubli

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostVechs, on 01 November 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

The old beta forums are gone, but I believe the devs actually suggested that people launch without repairing everything if they're trying to make some extra money. Sorry that I can't verify that by finding the quote.

I think it was something like a thread where a guy was complaining about repair bills, and then someone from PGI staff mentioned something like "You could always launch without repair everything..."

So my impression is that this is intended within the gameplay.

... and I actually kind of enjoy it. It's become a meta-game to me, of sorts, just how cheap I can run a mech and still contribute.

Both this build and the Zombie Wang build are combat effective, and are certainly not a detriment to your team. So if we can save some money while still contributing, I say more power to us! :rolleyes:

Edit: And this is why this specific build is about LRMs. This is how a Fatlas can be a cheapskate and still be useful. And that's a big distinction between someone who doesn't repair at all with a "normal" build and just runs into the fight as normal. Those guys are the ones who are being cheesy. The only reason I made these guides, is because these builds are useful in combat. One thing I'll never do is tell players to launch a standard build without repairing -- then you really are just leeching.

I find this impossible with lighter mechs. IE Jenner Commando Etc. Is this just me being a new player and performing poorly or is this just the nature of the beast? Even a partially repaired atlas, has me out classed for armor weapons, heatsinks, and for the most part staying power.

#33 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Are you guys using XL Engines with these builds? It wasnt mentioned anywhere :)

#34 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostBlacKcuD, on 08 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostVechs, on 01 November 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

The Build:

Fatlas (Similar builds work for any Atlas, and even other LRM-capable mechs)

2 Medium Lasers - Center Torso
2 Heat Sinks - Engine Slots

1 Medium Laser - Left Arm
1 AMS - Left Arm
5 LRM Ammo - Left Arm
1 AMS Ammo - Left Arm

1 Medium Laser - Right Arm
5 LRM Ammo - Right Arm

2 LRM20 - Left Torso
2 Heat Sinks - Left Torso

3 Heat Sinks - Right Torso

1 Heat Sink - Head
4 Heat Sinks - Left and Right Legs

Engine - 300 Standard

560 Points of Armor (Strip from legs)

Standard Everything - No fancy equipment. (DHS, FF, Endo, XL Engine, etc.)

Edited by Vechs, 08 November 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#35 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

as much as i feel LRMs are awful and only good for killing those who don't know how to defend themselves, i have to admit, this is probably the most profitable way to run an atlas; even laserboat atlases still need their share of armor and whatnot to be useful (granted skimping on repairs opens you up to being backstabbed by lights)

one thing to point out, the D is probably the best variant for this

the D-DC lets you pack triple LRM-15s certainly, and is probably second best, but it spits the 15's out in 3 smaller salvos (i think 6-6-3), meaning you don't get that big vomiting of LRMs you do with other variants

the RS is even worse, in that it takes even more salvos. i think it takes 4 to spit out a LRM-15, and 5 for an LRM20.(or something like that). spitting out LRM's in a long stream, once upon a time, people argued could keep your enemy shaking. now they don't shake much. even if they did shake, having a big cluster all at once means a lot more get through AMS

meanwhile, i think the D is able to spit out an LRM20 in 2 volleys.

#36 Galaxy Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationEast of Seattle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

View PostVechs, on 04 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I use to feel that way (loved the dc in CB), but now I just cannot give up my lasers in the center torso.

As long as you stay away from XL engines, it is a blast. I have had many kills from the CT weapons. One game, I got 3 kills AFTER my left and right torsos (and arms of course) we're gone. I wish I had a video of it, so funny.

I played the RS and DC to train my Pilot trees, but I felt so defeated if/when I lost my arms.

So it is Founders mech all the way.

#37 Vyviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 458 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Seriously ammo in your arms....????

Might as well overheat and blow your ammo yourself since the arms are the first things to come off...

Edited by Vyviel, 09 November 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#38 Golden Sentinel

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostBlacKcuD, on 08 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

No. I tried the initial build with the stock 300 engine. The 2 LRM20s will prevent you from an XL anyways since they wouldn't have enough room probably. If memory serves, the 2 LRM20s in the one torso slot on an Atlas-D leave you 1 slot left.

XL to me is too risky in general for a death; I don't like chancing the crits on the side torsos to the engine.

#39 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostVyviel, on 09 November 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Seriously ammo in your arms....????

Might as well overheat and blow your ammo yourself since the arms are the first things to come off...

*shrugs*
Atlas arms have a lot of armor. And if they're shooting your arms that means they're not shooting the things that really matter. Also, you have two arms, and they're far apart on the mech frame, so the armor an enemy would have to get through to take off both arms is more than what they'd have to defeat to kill your left torso. So... what's the problem?

If they waste time going for both arms, thank them, because that means you've been crapping all over their middle sections with LRMs.

Anyway, I think my screenshots defend the build adequately.

#40 SkyEstaLimit

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I tried out the zombie wang theory on a centurion 9-A and it works wonders really. I've played around with the setup a bit buts its the same idea.

It does grind good money but with an Atlas, i am not sure i see the point ? Once you have the most expensive mech around, what are you grinding money for ? I think you have done your fair share of grinding by that point, no ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users