• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I've been beta testing since closed beta for 2 months now. I've seen prices come and go as the economy gets tweeked. I've used the first 2 modules for a while (support and sensor). Haven't bought the upgrade zoom yet, but everyone says it's disappointing. Anyway, since the "final" wipe (for now) and open beta, I think the prices of the modules don't reflect their value. They are way overpriced. I think the XP value to unlock them is ok, but the cost to equip is prohibitive. Given that mechs cost say $2-4M and a fast XL engine costs $5-6M, having modules start at $2M per mech and going up from there to $6M is just not worth it, unless you've bought every mech you want and every upgrade you want. I'm curious what some other members feel is fair value for the modules, relative to say basic and elite upgrades, and XL technology. My vote is that the prices are off by an entire order of magnitude. The value of the modules seem to me to range $200K - $600K.

#2 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

I agree that I think they're over priced, but I can't pinpoint where I'd like them to be. I was thinking upwards of a 1mil.

#3 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Six million for a cap accelerator is ridiculous. It costs more than half the mechs currently available. It was nice to have when it was almost free, but even a dedicated capper/scouter would have a hard time rationalizing THAT bill.

Four million for a tactical info accelerator is equally ridiculous. It also costs more than many mechs, and all it does is let you see what weapons your enemy has more quickly. To my knowledge, it does not improve missile lock because you can lock before you even know what you are shooting at.

Two million for a zoom isn't bad. Maybe a little high, but the zoom will be a huge draw once they get it working right. People will be far more readily convinced to spend some MC creating the GXP needed to unlock that gem, and then install it on all their mechs.

Ultimately, the major problem with all of the modules is that they are completely forgettable, just like the original PilotLab was. The bonuses were nice, but pretty weak before Elite compounded basic and even then not game changing. The module system will not be useful until there are a bunch of GOOD, REASONABLY PRICED modules worth using.

The Master tier in PilotLab doesn't compound the bonuses from Elite as far as I know, so the only reason to do Master is for the extra mod slot. Right now I'm not using any mod slots, so I have absolutely no motivation to do the work required to get to Master.

#4 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm the same. I went from routinely running 2 modules in my mechs, to running no modules in my mechs even though I decided to spend the XP to unlock all three available. I just don't think they are worth that kind of money, given that other goodies can be bought for that dough.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Modules should cost 1-2 million. Not 2-6 million.

#6 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I bought the advanced PIP zoom for $2mil and I like it. I think it adds something to standard 3x zoom for sniping and I think you need to use both. $2mil is still steep compared to what else that money buys, but it is the MOST useful module so far I think and so I'm glad it also happens to be the cheapest.

#7 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

I really feel like PGI or perhaps more likely IGP has created far too steep a progress curve for advancement in the game, and it all seems like it's rigged to frustrate people into paying real dollars (i.e. 3 mech variants required to purchase and max out to get the one you like maxed out). That will work for some people, but I think it will ultimately turn more people off, especially since you could literally dish out 200 dollars and still have so much grinding to do.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users