• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostTaryys, on 08 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

This is a Mech sim and not a military sim.
There are things that are acceptable in a military arena that are not in the civilian world and vice verse.

You may run your outfit in a military fashion, but do not expect the rest of the world to do so.

A Mech SIm that emulates Warfare, thus soldiers, thus Military. I don't run the outfit I'm just a member! Just saying if you want to play at war you should be able to take some ribbing. There are things that aren't ribbing that goes on, and that is inappropriate.

I laughed till I cried when I saw my brother's stiff, dead body rolled up against the wall at my parents house. He died in his sleep. He looked like a road killed squirrel. I still laugh at the thought of that image today. I love my brother. We had a weird sense of humor. To me it was his last joke to the world.

That being read, I have a high tolerance to what I think is funny. You may not. I can't judge that unless I throw out something I think will be funny and you say otherwise. I can only judge what's funny by MY standards. If it doesn't offend me, It shouldn't offend you. And vice versa.

#62 Onyx Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'm with the OP, except...

The alt-f4 thing.... Any remotely savvy pc user/pc gamer should know what this, and what control alt del do.

The vast majority of the time no one actually falls for it. In the rare event they do, it is funny...every time :P

Ok maybe not if they are elderly or mentally ill, but I don't think we should shelve the humor just based on those unlikely scenarios. Besides it's a learning experience...they actually learn something, and they learn it the first time (I hope!)...if they don't then well they need another lesson... Sorry.

Edited by Onyx Rain, 13 November 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#63 Onyx Rain

• 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostTaryys, on 08 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

This is a Mech sim and not a military sim.
There are things that are acceptable in a military arena that are not in the civilian world and vice verse.

You may run your outfit in a military fashion, but do not expect the rest of the world to do so.

I had an experience that kinda annoyed and also amused me a little...
(For the record I'm usually pretty easy going, and all about mutual respect and being nice to people even on line. Basically treat people online like you would in real life, assuming you aren't a D-bag to everyone in real life)

I ran in one of the public TS rooms with a group, and pretty much everyone was cool except this one guy...

He basically wanted to be drop commander, and run the public room like a merc group room issuing orders. For the most part I'm fine with whatever and go with the flow, But this guy like orders us all to go to this spot on the map, one I don't particularly think is a good place to be...and I very politely said "I usually watch the side tunnel so I think I'll head over there" , we had no one watching tunnels for a rush, and I was close enough I could get to that spot to help out if they needed it. He about had a hissy fit.

A few rounds later he ordered us all to tunnel rush...I said ok, i'm going to cut across to the side tunnel at E4 since that is faster. He said "Congratulations you're now drop commander"...because I had an independent thought. So I stuck with his plan and started calling targets. Turned out me and one other guy (not him) were the only ones that followed his order to go into tunnel, and we got slaughtered when most of the enemy team tunnel rushed us LOL.

I'll give the guy credit though, he was smart enough to not follow his own dumb plan LOL.

If you run in a merc group room, you should bend a bit to how they do things, and be respectful...though I think there are limits. If it isn't your kind of environment and they aren't willing to give you a bit of leeway to play your game the way you like, or improvise a little...you leave, no hard feelings. But...

Don't order me around on a public channel like I'm in your merc group and you're the God we're all supposed to bow to.

(For the record I never once raised my voice to this guy or was nasty to him...I was polite the entire time.)

Edited by Onyx Rain, 13 November 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#64 Kilroni

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Makes me Sad Panda. :ph34r:

Best quote ever. The goofy players do make me sad, but not as sad as sexual harrassment. :(

#65 Kilroni

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostOnyx Rain, on 13 November 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I'm with the OP, except...

The alt-f4 thing.... Any remotely savvy pc user/pc gamer should know what this, and what control alt del do.

The vast majority of the time no one actually falls for it. In the rare event they do, it is funny...every time :(

Ok maybe not if they are elderly or mentally ill, but I don't think we should shelve the humor just based on those unlikely scenarios. Besides it's a learning experience...they actually learn something, and they learn it the first time (I hope!)...if they don't then well they need another lesson... Sorry.

[sarcasm]Yeah, that'll teach those stupids... now they know you can't trust people on the Intarwebs. I also find that scamming people once just to teach them that people can and do scam you is another important lesson we don't teach enough. I've often resorted to shooting people once so they know to avoid guns, or perhaps I'll poison them to teach them not to drink poison. It's a learning experience after all.[/sarcasm]

The press "Alt-F4" trick usually only works in response to a newb asking something like "How do I change my view to 3rd person" or "How do I do...?" and isn't helpful. Otherwise it's a blatent "Press Alt-F4 for free Cbills" type thing that again is only designed to prey on the gullible. I'm hard pressed to figure out why you think it's funny? Mentaly ill, elderly, or just plain dumb, no one needs to be tricked for my humor.

-Kilroni

#66 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

On afk farming.. I decide to take out an AFK on my own team in frustration, though 1 minute into the game he moves, I cease fire and his friends decide to attack me.. lesson learned :(

Frankly it's not up to us to do any of these things, it's up to PGI to do something about it, they've known about it for a while and have acted slowly on it till this point.

#67 SkyKensa

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postrenahzor, on 02 November 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Suicide farming is a massive failure of game design in general around their rewards system, and locking trial mechs until the end of the match will not fix it. They can try all they want to stop it with systems that are unnecessarily punishing to new players, but it simply won't stop it from happening and makes the overall NPE worse. The current stable of trial mechs are bad, I like the Cent but none of the others, essentially the proposed change is terrible for me, when I die I now get to wait up to 15 mins to play. All to try and stop something that is caused by a completely broken trial mech and trial rewards system.

On top of it not fixing the problem, AND being bad for new players in general, you still can't do anything to payers who do it unless they exhibit the behavior across dozens and dozens of matches. I have died legitimately within the first 45s - 1 min of a match sometimes more than one match in a row, typically by doing something silly because I WAS NEW to the game, (ie: don't stop on a crest of a hill, gausspaults will kill you). This approach they've taken by handwaving it as an exploit is ridiculous at best.

Edit: clarity

I do agree with this, but have my own approach to it. ->IMO<- I think a rather intelligent way to help mitigate the issue is to make it so that if you DC AFTER you are dead, you are not penalized. If you DC during a match, before you died, then you are to be penalized. If you are inactive for 3 minutes, you DC from match and are penalized. The servers understand if it is a DC or if the "Server is not responding". Hence why you get those messages from time to time. So losing connection or the servers not responding -shouldn't- be an issue. This won't do much for suicide farming, but a penalty to your cbills for not repairing damage taken for 2-3 matches consecutively could help mitigate this.

Just my opinion on the matter.

#68 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

That is essentially the way it is.
You can disconnect after death no probs.
You can disconnect before death and it counts as a loss.

They have not implemented the idle thing yet, but that is to come.

#69 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Positive post is positive and deserves positive bump

#70 SkyKensa

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

That is essentially the way it is.
You can disconnect after death no probs.
You can disconnect before death and it counts as a loss.

They have not implemented the idle thing yet, but that is to come.

Yes, but I'm referring to a net loss in cbills, aside from losing the match, instead of earning the match loss cbill reward.

#71 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Ahh.. yea.. agreed.

The current problem with some of that determining if it is a loss in connection or other thing going on or perhaps crash to desktop, etc, but otherwise, I would like to see that too once they get all of that basically ironed out.

View PostSkyKensa, on 21 November 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Yes, but I'm referring to a net loss in cbills, aside from losing the match, instead of earning the match loss cbill reward.

#72 Barushkukor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationAwaiting Orders

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Bump for a great post.

#73 General Kaos

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I know that I have argued with you on some points, but this post is spot on. NICE :( I wish others would take that stance instead of simply adding to the problem of pug vs premade.

#74 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'd really love for you to show me where in the ToS or CoC it tells me I cannot run with the free repairs alone.

#75 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

• Alt-F4 - trick (not cool - really)

Au contraire, It's actually quite funny especially when you mask it. Like this for example, 'hold ctrl and press all the number keys and after that function keys, if that doesn't work hold alt and do the same'. I lol so much when someone actually dose it :( , hell my main reason for playing PUGs is trolling. I can't help it when it's so easy.

On a more serious note, 'Darwin rules here, fish. Darwin, not Einstein.'

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#76 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

agreed in spirit but ... its the internet... gl with that

#77 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

The repair system adds nothing but work for PGI: they threw out the tabletop rule that all criticals 'break' something, and gave everything hitpoints (work). The game then rolls a critical multiplier (work) - x1 x2 x3 and then multiplies weapon damage by that. That applies to some piece of equipment (possibly also internals, which isn't fair), and does damage which either partially or fully destroys the item (work). They even want to design 'partial function' levels for items, theoretically like your damaged lasers don't hit where you aim, or do less damage, or fizzle, or whatever (work).

Right now, you get all equipment repaired up to 25% FOR FREE, and nothing functions at diminished capacity when damaged. Items only have 10 hp, meaning just about any crit totally destroys them. Repairing is optional, and really doesn't cause you any more headache than the tabletop system should have.

All of this is work they didn't need to do. The tabletop system is simple and efficient. If you shoot someone without armor, you roll a crit. You can roll zero, one, two, or three. EVERY CRIT 'DESTROYS' AN ITEM. The only exceptions are engines (require 3 crit hits to break), and gyros (require 2). Everything else dies in one hit, no need to program in 'diminished function' and repair costs for partial damage.

1) Set the crit system to tabletop - a crit kills an item/weapon/part of engine or gyro. Repairs are static fees based on whether the item is 'functional' or 'nonfunctional,' or partially damaged as with an engine or gyro. Even those are easy, since they're either 100/50/dead (gyro), or 100/66/33/dead (engine). This will eliminate work and a lot of the BS in the current crit system. The PGI argument is that they don't want people losing equipment all the time. You do anyway, everything has 10HP and a x2 or x3 crit means almost every gun in the game can one-shot your items.

2) Make repairs mandatory, eliminate free repair and ammo levels, and adjust pay if they see fit. Eliminate the repair mechanic in mechlab ENTIRELY - repairs deduct on the end of mission screen and you get net pay in mechlab.

#78 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

in before TT doesnt translate to fun in fps (thought this was a simulator)

holy cow did I really make a post before someone SAID that? O.o

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 21 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#79 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I will try to find that for ya.

View PostVermaxx, on 21 November 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

I'd really love for you to show me where in the ToS or CoC it tells me I cannot run with the free repairs alone.

You are the problem. Do not be a ****, please.
There is nothing funny about taking advantage of the trusting natures of others.

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 21 November 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Au contraire, It's actually quite funny especially when you mask it. Like this for example, 'hold ctrl and press all the number keys and after that function keys, if that doesn't work hold alt and do the same'. I lol so much when someone actually dose it :( , hell my main reason for playing PUGs is trolling. I can't help it when it's so easy.

On a more serious note, 'Darwin rules here, fish. Darwin, not Einstein.'

What Mechwarrior Budda said. This is not table top.
Helmer has a great post about this. I wish I could find it.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

in before TT doesnt translate to fun in fps (thought this was a simulator)

holy cow did I really make a post before someone SAID that? O.o

View PostVermaxx, on 21 November 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

The repair system adds nothing but work for PGI: they threw out the tabletop rule that all criticals 'break' something, and gave everything hitpoints (work). The game then rolls a critical multiplier (work) - x1 x2 x3 and then multiplies weapon damage by that. That applies to some piece of equipment (possibly also internals, which isn't fair), and does damage which either partially or fully destroys the item (work). They even want to design 'partial function' levels for items, theoretically like your damaged lasers don't hit where you aim, or do less damage, or fizzle, or whatever (work).

#80 hanitora

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostDagger906, on 02 November 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

People suicide/afk farm in order to repair their Atlas.

The alternative is using their Atlas unrepaired. Pick your poison.

I know devs meant for them to buy sub, but that aint happening... :(

WTF r you talking about. Atlas is cheap as dirt to repair & rearm. No FF or endo steel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users