4. Alpha

#22 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 04 November 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

If you like sniping with the 4P, I suggest a couple of LL (not ERLL) in the arms for precision control, then load up on small lasers in HD and RT for point-blank defense.

I think either of these does better.

#23 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

I just got a 4P and I'm running 9 MLs, mainly as a big FU to all the people who whine about boating.

I really need to improve my aim steadiness to take full advantage of this build though.

#24 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

Honestly I tried 2 LL (in arms) 2 ML 5 SL, and I still liked 9ML better... 9ML /thread imo

Or maybe try the Lazerback build if that didn't do it for you...

(the one with as many LL as can fit)

#25 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Moved to Medium subforums.

#26 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

I tried this today if you want a break from medium laser play and I can assure you this has about as much punch as anything. Advanced zoom is a must, I wouldn't try this without it. Save up your cbills and gxp, it is worth it. I use the advanced zoom on everything.

The armor is so lol ofc. I didn't have any problems with heat on the new map but maybe it is worse on the caldera.

Positioning is king. Support your heavies and assaults and don't expose yourself too much, peek alpha all 3 and then duck again. If you notice your team is getting to far in front of you, then reposition immediately. Don't be afraid to leave the fight for a minute to find a better position. Get your heat to 90% and find a better spot. If a light runs up on you I can guarantee you will die unless they are very very bad.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10b9fada3e86893

Two well placed alphas, will kill almost anything. You are even a threat to atlases and stalkers if you are positioned correctly. If they are turned 45 degrees trying to put ordinance on someone else that is what you want. The opposite is true too, if they are firing at you as well, you will not survive the fight even with cover. They can take so much more punishment, but you are not here to get in a fire fight with a heavy, just to hit them a couple times while they fire at your mates.

Edited by Regrets, 27 May 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#27 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Definitely expect to do 200+ damage and get a kill and few assists. This thing can alpha with the best of them and for the tonnage is quite powerful, but weak in some respects. Just what you want with a hunchie, great firepower in one situation and pilot that knows how to get into that situation. ;)

#28 Kifli

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I recommend 9sl. whit ml you will be overheated in 2 shoots whit sl provably newer. small lazes may be seems weak but put 9 of those together and you ll change you mind. They do 18 damage in only 1 point EACH SECOND.

#29 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

I'm a big fan of the 9 ML myself, I have a thread up with some tips on how to use them for good results. It takes a lot of practise and you NEED the pilot skills levelled up for it to really shine but if you invest the time you will become a very deadly mechwarrior. The SL make the heat much easier to manage but the lack of range is a HUGE drawback IMO.

#30 Th0rsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

I'm pretty happy with 2ERLL in the arms, 7sl, std250 and ams. stick to sl at close range so you won't have much heat issues. You can engage in the distance with the ERLL and in a brawl you still deal 21 damage per salvo with the smalls.

#31 Cleatus Jones

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86804fa4bc5f4ff This is the my best Hunchback build Period. I have got more XP than I can afford to convert with this loadout . I like using the arm lock for this set up , yet my homeboy prefers not to lock the arms. Your choice but it does help when you hit alpha. I use 4 weapon groups, 2 MPLas, 5 MLas, 5 MLas on chain fire (for those hot flash moments), and of course all 7 for alpha. With Hunchback Elite/Master I get 90+ mph and the AMS for extra insurance. Lights hate it and for the rest it melts faces. I actually feel guilty letting this out it's worked so well for me

#32 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

I call him LLL Cool J. Ran it in closed beta.

#33 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

An XL engine on a hunchback, now that's something special.

#34 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

View Postzagibu, on 24 November 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

An XL engine on a hunchback, now that's something special.

it's nothing special, just risky. but if you do it well, you're golden.

#35 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostIcebound, on 03 November 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

PPCs are worthless, pulse lasers are getting more heat added to them on Tuesday so I'd learn to live without them, and more than 1 ton of AMS ammo is usually excessive.

Endo makes your mech weigh less, giving you more tonnage to use in exchange for crit space, so if you can have it and still fit all your equipment, go for it. In your case I would think you could. However I'm not sure how double heatsinks will play out on your mech, probably will be beneficial, but you'll need to do some math before switching back and forth.

If your heat is still unmanageable after Tuesday's patch I would consider swapping in some small lasers instead of all mediums.

That is not true. get two ppcs and double heatsink's with endosteel. Keep the ppcs on your hunch so you can shoot higher. During the game press backspace. shoot mechs within 600 m. (The full length of the arrow in first person) or 90 m. As long as you are targeting a weakspot, and traveling and in a group, you shouldn't have any problems. Get a fast engine and stay behind cover.

I forgot to add. ER PPC's are not worth it for this mech. More heat gen and you will have a hard time getting maximum damage because of the distance. Just something to keep in mind.

Edited by TechWalrus, 25 May 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#36 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

i'll just assume you didn't see the date of that post...

#37 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostIcebound, on 03 November 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

pulse lasers are getting more heat added to them on Tuesday

Wait what?

#38 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

i guess you didn't get the memo either

#39 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'd like to second what Lennstar said basically. My 4p currently runs 8 medium lasers with a TAG. I fire two lasers in the arms intitally and if I have a clean, worthwhile shot the other six in the torso get used.
The 4p can be a beast if you have discipline, you don't really want to be alpha striking unless you are 110% sure you can make a kill.

#40 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostTechWalrus, on 25 May 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

That is not true. get two ppcs and double heatsink's with endosteel. Keep the ppcs on your hunch so you can shoot higher. During the game press backspace. shoot mechs within 600 m. (The full length of the arrow in first person) or 90 m. As long as you are targeting a weakspot, and traveling and in a group, you shouldn't have any problems. Get a fast engine and stay behind cover.

I forgot to add. ER PPC's are not worth it for this mech. More heat gen and you will have a hard time getting maximum damage because of the distance. Just something to keep in mind.

Hold on a minute...

ERPPC's harder to do max damage than regular PPC's? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but that's incorrect.

ERPPC's have longer range and no minimum range, so you're far more likely to be doing the full 10 points of damage than if you were just using a regular PPC.

If you meant that, in the long game, PPC's tend to do more damage over time because they produce less heat you would be correct.

Edited to be on topic:

The 9ML/SPL (or variations on that) are always likely to be the best builds on this variant. Got killed a few days ago by a -4P with two PPC's in the shoulder, which is a fantastic way to "meta up" a non-meta mech.

Edited by Lunatech, 29 May 2014 - 11:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users