About the grind.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Khell3770

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I'd like to take a minute to talk about the prolonged grind for new players. I want to start by saying that from a gameplay viewpoint its bad. It discourages new players and leads to noob rage like nothing else as well as creating the issues with zombie mechs, afk players, and suicide players just to grind out the base earnings and get a better mech.

With that said I'd like to suggest a alternate viewpoint. Think of it as realism and a challenge. If you role play the game and treat the trial mechs as say standard issue mechs for new recruits to prove themselves and start to make a living and a difference then it makes since. I gave myself the challenge of trying to play well in a trail mech. I settled on the centurion cause its tough, agile, and powerful enough to make a dent. I would upon starting a match start team chat, basic things at first. "Stay together and focus fire" followed by things like "scouts on point, but stay close" then add things as needed like "scouts pick a target and hold in together" and then start to coordinate basic attack plans such as "don't get bogged down chasing scouts, go for the big mechs" or "blitz for cap." In game I have found that if anyone started to take charge, players will work together and follow. Don't argue or contradict other players, work as a unit. Everyone pitch in and take the initiative or follow another's lead.

When it comes to how to make a trail mech work remember the basics, stay in a group, b a team player, pick our targets, communicate, and AIM!! The last one is important, I've learned to kill atlas's with a trial centurion by NOT using LRM's and instead using a combination of zoom, throttle control, and AIM. Salvage bonus is earned by killing mechs without damaging them too much. Go for the head, leave the arms and shoulders intact. If your at full throttle and fully zoomed you can't aim precisely, instead slow down to half or three quarters throttle depending on terrain. Also time your shots to interrupt your targets aim. A head shot causes an enemy mech to jolt and often miss. This is how I kill assault mechs with a trail centurion and how I feel I'm "earning my spurs"

#2 Khell3770

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

wow, not even any views, I'm so sad, lol

#3 Spectre999

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I think the grind is only a problem if you absolutely, positively need to get that fully kitted Atlas ASAP.

From my experience, after 3 days of really intensive playing, the stats tell me I earned just over 14 mil.
I was able to afford my first family hatchback after only one day of playing (not grinding, just honest playing, learning the ropes, tactics, watching people in spectator mode etc.)

I advised a friend of mine to use Commando for grinding, the little ****** is fast and fun to pilot with Large laser and 2x Pulse laser, and the repair costs are below 10 000, which means with good spotting action, a few assists and on a win he's earning an average of 100 000 per match.

I think there are several common misconceptions about the game that may ruin a new player's experience.
One is the residue from online FPS, that no kills means a bad player. That's not the case in MWO, as there are ways to be an asset to the team without firing a single shot.

Another is to see trial mechs as "flawed" or inferior in any way. Yeah, they are not finely tuned, and some of the loadout choices are a bit weird, but they are fully capable machines with strengths and weaknesses. It's better to have your own mech, but it's no shame in piloting a trial. It's a shame to suck at piloting it, which is a different thing.

Next is the misconception that you need a heavy or an assault mech to compete (this usually stems from misconception no 1).
Not at all, medium mechs are super fun to pilot and design, and are capable damage dealers. So are Lights. Each has a defined combat role, and remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
(Translating this to game terms, if you bring an Assault to the fight, it means the opposing team will also have one, courtesy of the matchmaker, which means it's your responsibility to bring it down and even the odds.)

#4 Hulron

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Agreed, you don't need to be on top or have the most kills to be good. This is a team based game and playing as a team wins the match. The best thing any player can do is work with other players and learn to play the role of their mech efficiently.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users