Suggest a New Map (Promotion Idea)

16 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Here is a promotion idea for MechWarrior Online. It's very simple. Post your idea for a new map you would love to see in game, and try to give as much detail as possible, such as a solid description of the world, along with any sketches and/or photos. This is a chance to tell the developers what kind of worlds you would like to see in MWO. The developers could even give out in-game prizes for the best ideas! Without further delay, here is my attempt...

Red Desert
Map Size: Very Large
Temperature: Very Cold
Weather Effects: Dust Storms
Key Features: Terraforming Stations
The developers should consider adding a map very similar to Mars. Everyone is fascinated with the Red Planet. The map would be very large; roughly four times the size of Caustic Valley. The map would have a red surface with a yellowish-brownish hue for the sky. No vegetation. The map would have mountains, vast flatlands, craters, and canyons. Potential weather effects would include dust storms, which would limit visibility on the battlefield. Multiple Terraforming Stations would be dispersed around the map. These installations would include the following: atmospheric processor, research complex, solar power array, satellite communication dishes, civilian vehicles, etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 04 November 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#2 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

The more ideas we give to the developers for the Inner Sphere, the more diverse and varied worlds we will see.
I'm excited to see what the community comes up with. Please post your ideas!

Edited by Maverick01, 04 November 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#3 Eraed

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I thought this one was a good idea.

http://mwomercs.com/...852#entry835852

#4 Hubis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

This is a good idea for a thread

#5 Hubis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Shamelessly stolen, but... SPACE. COMBAT:

The Ruins of Gabriel

One of the Word of Blake's five hidden worlds, the Ruins of Gabriel is a large facility capable of repairing large WarShips. Built into the side of an asteroid, it has remained safely hidden amongst countless such asteroids in a belt in the Odessa system.

But in 3073, its location was discovered by Chandrasekhar Kurita and his coalition of mercenaries. Early the next year, aided by forces from the Lyran Alliance and Clan Wolf-in-Exile, they assaulted the Ruins of Gabriel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hubis, 04 November 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#6 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostHubis, on 04 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Shamelessly stolen, but... SPACE. COMBAT:

Fighting on an asteroid would be awesome!

Edited by Maverick01, 04 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#7 Magovai

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

"Moon Bases" or how about "Underwater"!!

#8 FLes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'd like to see some sort of jungle map, but only if you could destroy trees and set them ablaze with lasers and so on.

Posted Image

The second idea is a map on some planet where there's active vulcano, with lava rivers everywhere, ash falling from the sky...

Posted Image

Third is a map on some planet with extreme weather conditions, where there is strong wind and lightnings in the sky all the time.

Posted Image

Edited by FLes, 01 December 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#9 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Posted Image

Imagine a curved landscape with the gravity pushing downward but your enemy are on the other side of the 'ring' and you travel either direction towards them. It would be long narrow, different, unique, yet undulating. Tactics based on the curve of the map, you could fire only a certain distance if you had LRMs [due to the roof].

Posted Image

Misty 'alien' world, full of swamps, trees, lack of sensor range and weird foliage that is VERY different looking.

Posted Image

Fighting on the 'deck' [perhaps inside as well] of a giant jumpship.

#10 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostMagovai, on 04 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

"Moon Bases" or how about "Underwater"!!

The question here is one of physics.

MOON: Without atmosphere and with severely reduced gravity, weapon ranges and movement speeds will see serious increases.

This should be do-able... but I hope that if they do, they do it right (by which I mean adjusting things for real-world physics effects).

UNDERWATER: Ever tried running while underwater? Yeah. It doesn't work. Resistance increases proportionately to velocity. Weapon ranges and damages will be seriously reduced. Unless they're specifically designed for it, you would expect autocannons to explode when fired, and likely missiles as well. Laser and PPC range would be next to zero.

Now, it's only a video game... so the dev's can suspend real-world physics as they please... but at some point it starts getting kind of cheesy when you're underwater but it doesn't act like you're actually really under water.

#11 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I vote for desert sandstorm.

Modestly high heat.
Really terrible visibility, interspersed with the occasion period of modest visibility.
Comms having difficulty due to interference.
Jump jets are risky -- heavy winds the higher you go. (decent chance of getting blown into the grown by a 300kph cross-wind.)

#12 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

It is awesome that the red desert idea is being undertaken by the devs. I like the maps we have now, but my main complaint is that all of them appear as if they could occur on an earth like planet. We need maps that suggest an alien world, a hereto unknown landscape. Something a little different than earth like conditions.

-k

#13 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postltwally, on 01 December 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

SNIP

It should be noted that MW2 did, indeed, boast both of these environs. A moon map in 31st Century and an underwater (and hull of ship!) map in Ghost Bear's Legacy. How they handled Low Grav was nice, with Jump Jets getting vastly improved efficiency, mech speeds getting around a 10% boost, and (for some reason that defies physics as the map was in vacuum) extremely low heat generation. In MWO, I could see it also affecting ballistic drop and maximum projectile and missile range (though energy weapon range boosting is dubious).

I did not personally play the underwater/dropship hull missions, however. I do know they by default switched out LRM's and SRM's with long and short range TORPEDOES in the underwater maps, though.

On the flip side, a HIGH GRAVITY world is something I do not recall seeing in a Mechwarrior game, where it would have the inverse actions in regard to a low grav world. IE: Increased ballistic drop, reduced top speed, reduced jump jet effectiveness.

I would personally also love to see a swamp, a dense multi-tiered canyon map (such that verticality can be game changing), a full on nothing but city map similar to BIG CITY from MW4, a starport, a heavily mountainous map, and a grassland. There are no shortages of map ideas to be found.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 December 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#14 Kerosene

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

We need an o'neil cylinder...

Been hooked on the idea of mechs in artifical space stations since Vanquish came out....

http://www.youtube.c...bed/zBIQCm54dfY
Posted Image

Edited by Kerosene, 01 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#15 Magovai

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Underwater

#16 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

A Mangrove Swamp:

Murky green water to wade through. Large boled trees in clusters to hide within and navigate around. A partial canopy of green leaves overhead, occasionally broken through by sunlight. Insects in the air. Alligators sliding into the water every time a mech approaches.

(make the alligator's killable - I want alligator boots when/if we get avatar clothing.) :D

Edited by Khanublikhan, 27 April 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#17 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Poppy Filled Meadow (Day):

A picturesque valley of gently rolling hills. The hillside is covered in colourful flowers. Red Poppies. A beautiful summer sky with fluffy white clouds. A trio of Overlord Dropships descending as a distant backdrop.

Poppy Filled Meadow (Storm):

A picturesque valley of gently rolling hills. The hillside is covered in colourful flowers. Red Poppies. Stormclouds rolling in across the horizon. The sky darkens and it begins to rain; raindrops pattering against the cockpit glass of your mech.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users