New mech variants purchaseable naked

17 replies to this topic

Poll: New mech variants purchaseable naked (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the idea?

1. Yes (53 votes [82.81%])

Percentage of vote: 82.81%

2. No (11 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

As everyone has probably seen, some mech variants cost wayyyyyyy more than others (see; every mech variant which comes with an xl engine).

What i'm suggesting is, that the player can buy a variant which does not include the items or weaponry, only the barebones chassis.

This would reduce the MC cost of the mech, if you're just for the hardpoints and not the items (see - Atlas K!) and also would make it considerably cheaper.

The price reduction does not have to transfer 100% - say you have a centurion worth 5 million, with the chassis worth 2.5 and items 2.5. The player should pay 25% more for the chassis, which would be 3.12 million.

All in all, the current system obsoletes most variants which are too expensive to get compared to others, like the awesome 9m and atlas k. 20 bucks for atlas is overprice in my opinion. With the suggested system, the price could drop to something around 14.

CHEAPER DOES NOT MEAN IT MAKES LESS MONEY - RIGHT NOW EVERYONE WILL RATHER GRIND THAN PURCHASE VIA MC

#2 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I would love to buy naked variants.

#3 PL Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

perverts :)

#4 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I would love to be able to purchase the XL Cicada variant (4E 1B) sans the XL. The only reason I don't have it is because it has an XL 320 bolted on, and frankly the moment I get it I'm going to just junk the rubbish 320 since it's not a 325.

#5 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

i read the reason for why the devs might not do this

it is something to do with MW/BT lore that they are trying to keep to for the uber die hard fans all different variants of mechs are built by certain company's much like the weapon brands in borderlands so mechs are not normally bought stripped down. because the mech builders associations with many different weapon/equipment manufactures....

but it would be nice i agree

Edited by bloodnor, 05 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#6 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postbloodnor, on 05 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

i read the reason for why the devs might not do this

it is something to do with MW/BT lore that they are trying to keep to for the uber die hard fans all different variants of mechs are built by certain company's much like the weapon brands in borderlands so mechs are not normally bought stripped down. because the mech builders associations with many different weapon/equipment manufactures....

but it would be nice i agree

I could swear PGI is the devil. They must hate fun.

But isn't it against BT lore that you fit gauss rifles on machine gun slots? Or shoot 20 missiles out of an arm which has 2 missile tubes?

#7 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostFenixStryk, on 05 November 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

I would love to be able to purchase the XL Cicada variant (4E 1B) sans the XL. The only reason I don't have it is because it has an XL 320 bolted on, and frankly the moment I get it I'm going to just junk the rubbish 320 since it's not a 325.

You must have a thing for autocannons?

Otherwise, after adjusting for engine & internal structure weight, there is literally no advantage of that build over a Jenner (w/ 285 XL). However, it will cost more up front and be (slightly) more expensive to repair.

#8 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I would speculate that the reason for not doing this is simple real-world economics. You pay more MC for a fully fleshed out mech than you would for a stripped down shell. And then you spend more of that precious MC for equipment to replace the stock parts that you never wanted in the first place.

It's the same reason cable companies don't offer a-la-carte channel selection. You have to pay for stuff you don't want, that way the prices can be kept artificially high.

Then again, perhaps I'm just cynical in my old age.

#9 Draco Argentum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I want this. Bying mechs with expensive parts that I immeadiatly sell isn't makeing me want to buy mechs.

#10 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 05 November 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I could swear PGI is the devil. They must hate fun.

But isn't it against BT lore that you fit gauss rifles on machine gun slots? Or shoot 20 missiles out of an arm which has 2 missile tubes?

I dunno about the Gauss rifles (though I think dual gauss is overrated both to use and the ammount of whinging about them) but in terms of the missiles I thought those could be swapped out modularly ?

I know that during early CB I had a Commando with an LRM 10 (prett sure it was the 10) on it and when it fired it fired like 5 waves of 2 missiles for a total of 10, so to keep with lore I assumed everything else followed suit ? Im not big on missiles on my builds so I havent really paid it that much attention, give me an A/C and some lasers/PPC any day.

I must confess I did buy the & million Cbill Cicada as my second purchased mech because I enjoyed using it for the few days at the end of the CB.

If you stop and look at it from the perspective of keeping the company financial then offering stripped out mechs for Cbills or MC actually makes no sense even though from a player perspective it would be nice.

View Postltwally, on 05 November 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

You must have a thing for autocannons?

Otherwise, after adjusting for engine & internal structure weight, there is literally no advantage of that build over a Jenner (w/ 285 XL). However, it will cost more up front and be (slightly) more expensive to repair.

Actually that Cicada is significantly more expensive to repair than a stock Jenner, I havent put an XL in either of mine yet. I took probably 70% damage and survived a match last night having fired just under half my U/AC rounds (before the darn thing jammed) with all weapons still intact and my repair & re-arm bill was $53k and change, which is not cheap.

Edited by The Crow2k, 05 November 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#11 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

the point of a battle mech is what is on it. That is a variant. It would be like buying a car with no engine, no tranny, no headlights, no interior, no suspension, and no wheels. It makes no sense.

#12 cmdr_scotty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationOutreach Mech hanger B-201, Bay 15A

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

if they're not willing to have the option to buy a stripped down mech.

It would be interesting to see some form of a mech, junkyard. Potentially allowing you to buy a stripped mech (and by stripped, even the armor could be cleaned off) and it would need repairs and work on it, but would be plausible for use after some work on it.

#13 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I would love being able to buy bare mechs. Some of them as of now are just a waste because the weapons they come with themselves are pretty useless because of high heat/weight compared to more useful alternatives.

#14 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostThe Crow2k, on 05 November 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Actually that Cicada is significantly more expensive to repair than a stock Jenner, I havent put an XL in either of mine yet. I took probably 70% damage and survived a match last night having fired just under half my U/AC rounds (before the darn thing jammed) with all weapons still intact and my repair & re-arm bill was $53k and change, which is not cheap.

I was comparing a Cicada with 325 XL against a Jenner with 285 XL. (Same speed, same available tonnage left for everything else. Repair prices should only be slightly higher on Cicada + 325 XL vs Jenner + 285 XL, not computing for other equipment.)

#15 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because its still relevant. We need this please.. or at least without the engine!

#16 Kasdam

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I would love this. I want the Raven 3L but i don't want to pay 9mill just so that I can have another missile slot.

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yes, the option to buy a mech chassis would be really nice.

#18 DevilShinigami

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

I just thought about that myself.
It would be awesome to just buy the chassis without the equipment. I mean I really dont want to pay for an extra 300 XL cause I already got one on stock :)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users