12 replies to this topic

#1 Orcish Librarian

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

... you're defending your base from being capped in your Hunchback and you decide to rather duel an Awesome than that pesky annoying Jenner - because you have a better chance to win a duel with a mech 30 tons heavier than you than messing with this little ugly fella with a bunch of light lasers.

The Awesome went down and the Jenner couldn't cap the base or me before my team capped their base, so it worked. But still feeling kinda wrong. "Hey, an Awesome. I'm sitting in a Hunchie, but what the hell, let's duel him!" vs. "Jenner circling me? I'm SO going to die!"

From my point of view, Lights (and yes, i look your way too, Cicada) have become very strong since knockdown was removed from the game and Jenners seem to be very hard to hit (or to become your hit acknowledged as an damage dealing hit, that is) lately.

I get nervous when I see two Atlantes walking in my direction. I'm concerned when I run over a hill and meet an Awesome on the other side. I totally panic when I see two Jenners and a Streak Commando storming in my direction.

Most of the time when that happens, I run. "You can't outrun them, dude!" some of my lancemates than say. And I reply "I don't have to outrun THEM! I just have to outrun YOU!"

#2 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

I agree. Lights are perhaps a bit too strong at the moment. You need to outfit a mech specifically to counter them- you don't need to do that for an Assault.

Also, lagshield doesn't help... please get this netcode sorted PGI!

#3 MEGABOT 5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hitting a light at close range with an AC20 is ******* tough!!!

#4 Harleqwin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

I have "hit" Medium mechs and Light mechs with an AC20 round, only to see no damage. Some times it actually passes THROUGH the target with no damage, other instances the round looks like it explodes properly but no damage is dealt.

I actually just had a battle wherein my Jenner with 2 SRM4's shot a Cicada that was shut down IN THE BACK with NO Damage being done. The Cicada was just standing there, drooped over and NOTHING. This happened again when he shut down, and I carefully fired dead center into him from less than 90 meters. No damage.

W T F.

and they expect people to PAY for this game? LOLZ

#5 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Between lag shield currently in game and no knockdowns Lights are way OP, I have not been running lights lately because it feels like cheating. Lag shield makes each 1 ton of armor you have act like 10 because of no hits even when they should. The no knockdown lets you circle straff without regard for mechs or there locations witch makes circle attacks go from a skill based thing to anyone with no skill can do it easy and do it close enough to tall mechs can not hit them with half there weapons. This needs to be fixed so I can use lights without feeling like I am cheating. Also so a group of 4 lights can not own matchs in the first 3 minutes.

#6 SwirlingBrain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGarland, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I can send several volleys of LRMs at a jenner. Then they get less then 200m and I shoot them with my two medium pulse lasers several times, yet they can still kill my gauss cat with just a few hits with two regular medium lasers. Jenners are way OP. It just doesn't make sense to me. My gauss cat is maxxed out on armor too! Any suggestions?

#7 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostSwirlingBrain, on 17 November 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

I can send several volleys of LRMs at a jenner. Then they get less then 200m and I shoot them with my two medium pulse lasers several times, yet they can still kill my gauss cat with just a few hits with two regular medium lasers. Jenners are way OP. It just doesn't make sense to me. My gauss cat is maxxed out on armor too! Any suggestions?

Lights weapons are in no way shape or form "buffed" so don't try to play that card, chances are they are **** pitting you which is extremely easy to do against a catapult. That or your paper doll isnt updating (Which is still an issue) and what seems like a "one shot kill" from a light mech is actually just them finishing off your exposed components.

#8 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Lead your shots, you'll drop lights in no time. My 4xLL + Gauss Atlas RS wrecks lights. Light pilots are usually some of the better players and they'll figure out very quickly whether or not you can hit them.

#9 megoblocks

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

View Postxenoglyph, on 17 November 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

Lead your shots, you'll drop lights in no time. My 4xLL + Gauss Atlas RS wrecks lights. Light pilots are usually some of the better players and they'll figure out very quickly whether or not you can hit them.

Not the best light pilot in the world, the lightest I have is a cicada (technically a medium, yeah) that hauls ***. I know really fast if the guy I'm dancing around is someone that I can take or not. If he is, he's going down. If he's going to shatter a leg or core me, I leave him for someone else or come back and harass as I can until others join the fun.

#10 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

View Postmegoblocks, on 25 November 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Not the best light pilot in the world, the lightest I have is a cicada (technically a medium, yeah) that hauls ***. I know really fast if the guy I'm dancing around is someone that I can take or not. If he is, he's going down. If he's going to shatter a leg or core me, I leave him for someone else or come back and harass as I can until others join the fun.

This.
/thread.

#11 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

there was a "mod" for the game mech commander. you essentially get a free slightly damaged madcat right at the start. I tried using it and since there are tonnage limits I got creamed by the light mechs I faced in the first few levels. So its really not surprising

a better strategy would be to use your lights but upgraded with the salvaged clan weaps

#12 Sarah Dalrymple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSkye March, Hesperus II

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostRFMarine, on 25 November 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

there was a "mod" for the game mech commander. you essentially get a free slightly damaged madcat right at the start. I tried using it and since there are tonnage limits I got creamed by the light mechs I faced in the first few levels. So its really not surprising

a better strategy would be to use your lights but upgraded with the salvaged clan weaps

Um, they aren't talking about MechCommander, but MechWarrior Online...

#13 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

yeah lights are evil, though I suppose in Cannon lights had their effectivness too. I think it comes down to skill of the pilot and weapon loadout. Lights tend to get killed fast in open areas from missle bombardmets, though they're great in hit and run situations.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users