Favourite 'Unseen' battlemechs to be 'Reseen' in MWO and would you pay for them?

98 replies to this topic

#1 Gwenaelle Focht

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPlanet Wyatt, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi folks,

Most of you know that some of the 'Unseen' battlemechs are among the most popular that the BattleTech universe has to offer and there are plenty of future MechWarrior Online players that would 'die' to jump into a cockpit of one of these mechs, that had to be excluded from BattleTech/Mechwarrior products due to legal issues involving the matching design of battle robots found prior to Battletech in Japanese anime series:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Anyhow, some of these battlemech models were altered and became 'Reseen' and I was wondering how strongly you feel about the exclusion/inclusion of 'Unseen' mech types in MWO and whether you expect the developers to redesign them in order to become 'Reseen' and not a license issue?

Which of these 'Unseen'/'Reseen' mechs would you like to see most in MWO and why?

#2 Johannes Falkner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 442 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Making me choose one is evil. Rifleman should be in for flavor. Its tissue thin rear armor is axiomatic in universe. The Archer is a classic mech used by several commanders (Morgan Kell and Jamie Wolf...). The Thunderbolt is one of my favorite brawlers. I went with the Phoenix Hawk because I would play it most.

#3 Zhanna Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

While the answers to the first two questions are really unambiguous to me, question three really gave me a hard time but ...

... a jet-black Warhammer it is ... what else (?) ... bound by name and firepower :) ...

... otherwise (if the Warhammer would have not been listed), I would have chosen the other iconic heavy mech, the Marauder ...

#4 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'd love to have all of them "Reseen"! It's a daunting task and probably won't happen but one could always hope.

#5 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

THE SEEN CAN NOT BE UNSEEN, FOR I HAVE SEEN THEM THEY MUST BE SEEN BY ALL!

I HAVE SPOKEN

LET IT BE DONE

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

I would love to pilot my Shadow Hawk one day. Or a Marauder /Warhammer once again, but if they can't do the justice, or can't do them at all, I think there are other perfect mechs that I could ride. :)

#7 Gwenaelle Focht

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

The Phoenix Hawk is the optimum blend of weapon power, sufficient armour, and speed/agility for me and it can be incorporated in mech troops for any type of mission, also due to the various modifications available for this mech model. Thus, it seems to be the most logical choice for me, although I would also be very happy to get the chance to pilot a Crusader (actually, rather than an Archer ... probably, not being as glorious a pilot as Galen Cox though) or being in command of a mech unit piloting a BattleMaster.

#8 MostlyHarmless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Most all of the unseen are iconic mechs that I'd enjoy but they are iconic as they were back in the day, the last redesigns never caught on with me that much. I do trust FD to be able to redesign them if anyone can, he has taken a couple of mechs that I never really cared for and made me excited to see them in the game. I would love to have a shadow hawk or most any of the mechs from mw1 to play with again but not as much as I want a really good Battletech game. If the time and effort to resee any of these takes away from the quality of the product PGI is making for us then I am against it. There are other games that we can go back to in order to play with a number of these without hurting the new product.

#9 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

All the unseen need to be seen, I would love to see a Battlemaster in the field. I would even pay for a few of the unseen to be seen again. ( note ) I would want them to have the correct weapons or weapons slots not a re-skin of another mech in the same weight class.

#10 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

The Battlemaster I really liked the RS-7 design and think it should be interpreted for this game.

#11 Neovenator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I love the 'Unseen' mostly because they were the iconic mechs when I was introduced to Battletech and started reading the novels. I remember many games played around a tabletop with these designs and aruging amongst friends about the merits and shortcommings of each mech.

My only gripe with the above poll is that I had to choose just one mech :)

#12 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone has an idea how much a license might cost?

#13 Gwenaelle Focht

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostMostlyHarmless, on 15 April 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Most all of the unseen are iconic mechs that I'd enjoy but they are iconic as they were back in the day, the last redesigns never caught on with me that much. I do trust FD to be able to redesign them if anyone can, he has taken a couple of mechs that I never really cared for and made me excited to see them in the game. I would love to have a shadow hawk or most any of the mechs from mw1 to play with again but not as much as I want a really good Battletech game. If the time and effort to resee any of these takes away from the quality of the product PGI is making for us then I am against it. There are other games that we can go back to in order to play with a number of these without hurting the new product.

I understand your point, but would it really be a true BattleTech/MechWarrior game without the classic 'Unseen' mech models?

Moreover, it may take time to negotiate a deal for the rights to use these mech types in MWO or to redesign 'Unseen' into 'Reseen' mechs, but since it will be an online game, it could be implemented at a later time with a major update and will not necessarily not have be to available at the start-up (although I am sure, that many here disagree as they would want to see these mechs available from the beginning ... now that it has been brought up, the possibility/idea is just too provoking :) ).

View PostNeovenator, on 15 April 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

I love the 'Unseen' mostly because they were the iconic mechs when I was introduced to Battletech and started reading the novels. I remember many games played around a tabletop with these designs and aruging amongst friends about the merits and shortcommings of each mech.

My only gripe with the above poll is that I had to choose just one mech :P

Same here. I also started with the novels before getting introduced to the 'Crescent Hawk Inception' and 'Batteforce' (the latter being similar to the table top) computer games at a later stage, thereby, getting all immersed in the BattleTech Universe and these 'Unseen' mechs contributed a great deal to it.

If I had offered multiple choices for the third poll question, then some people would have simply picked all of these mechs or all the ones they really like (this could be done in another thread/poll. if needed), but I was more interested which of these mech types are most popular and should therefore be implemented in MWO first (ideally, I would like all of them to make an appearance in MWO, even the less popular ones, as these would also be quite neat to be seen on the battlefield and, in addition, the less popular ones would suit individualists who like a good challenge, a higher recognition value, and less of a mainstream approach).

It seems the Marauder is leading the way right now, followed by the Warhammer and the two Hawk mech types, but I am hoping for more participation and for a broader vote in this poll, although I was expecting the above mentioned models to be among the most popular ones in the poll ... surprised though, that the light mechs as well as the Rifleman, Ostsol, and the Crusader have not been chosen yet.

Edited by Gwenaelle Focht, 15 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#14 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ctual-property/

#15 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Definitely the OstBosch.

#16 MostlyHarmless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostGwenaelle Focht, on 15 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

I understand your point, but would it really be a true BattleTech/MechWarrior game without the classic 'Unseen' mech models?

Moreover, it may take time to negotiate a deal for the rights to use these mech types in MWO or to redesign 'Unseen' into 'Reseen' mechs, but since it will be an online game, it could be implemented at a later time with a major update and will not necessarily not have be to available at the start-up (although I am sure, that many here disagree as they would want to see these mechs available from the beginning ... now that it has been brought up, the possibility/idea is just too provoking :angry: ).

I will completely agree that the Unseen make it complete for me, I've read too many of the books (I think almost all of them up to the jihad period) and played the original games too often. Secretly, ( I guess not so much now), it is my hope that after the launch and the first few additional content packages that the unseen might make it in or at least some of them. Trying to model all of the unseen and all the clan and all the IS mech development that takes place in this period would be more than almost any team could take on let alone go to the level that PGI has shown so far. Once the push to release the base game is over hopefully PGI can work on the rights from Harmony Gold to allow for the unseen and reseen to appear. I remember the previous 3015 trailer had the warhammer in all its glory as a Smith & Tinker and PGI product so the rights had been negotiated at one point somewhat recently. I would suspect that after several months playing there would be enough of us willing to pay for the unseen that it would make sense to release it and pay what ever a new contract might cost if the old one is not still valid. There is always the possibility that Harmony Gold would not want to play along but I would imagine that any reasonable source of income is welcome knowing that their IP would be strongly received.

#17 Ryuu Tetsuhara

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine capital

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I will have to go with the highly versatile Crusader ... a jack-of-all-trades due to its many variants (the CRD-5M, CRD-7L and CRD-8S variants are very appealing) and damage dealer par excellence, quite popular in the days of Star League ... I will not expect that running out of ammo will become a major challenge/issue in regular MWO missions/campaigns ... otherwise, an Ostsol may come in handy instead ...

#18 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Like many of the older players I think that the game, especially given it's start date in the timeline, would be incomplete without them. There again they would make excellent money earners if they appeared in the shop after launch :angry:
Was surprised that the Griffin had no votes.

#19 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

I've seen a quick Marauder sketch by FD and I'd sleep with it so yeah hook it up!

#20 Kiff Stevenson

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCanada District, Capella

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

I was really surprised that there was no Locust-love before me!

I'm ok with a redesign. However, I really think they should put the Locust's 'hips' back on its 'shoulders'. That's really the one thing about the reseen version that I didn't like. The more conventional shoulders-waist-torso configuration made the new version of the Locust too generic looking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users