Would you pilot a Quad Mech / Quad Mechs (merged)

518 replies to this topic

#501 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostTeulisch, on 15 April 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

i suspect the problem is that in this era, we only have two quads, both unseen,

As those are from Fang of the Sun: Dougram - not Macross which is where the urinary olympics lie, and so, they are not considered "the unseen". That animation company could care less if they were reproduced.

Frankly, I would rather have battlearmours, tanks, artillery, aerospace and VTOLS instead of quads, oh yeah, I'll just go over to MW:LL then. The reluctance to quads from the majority of hard-core BT fans is that they were found in the one game anybody with any sense (i.e. REAL mechwarriors) stayed away from - mechassault.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#502 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I most certainly would. It would, at least, make for very interesting combat styles.

#503 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'd love quads, but they should have an unique control scheme. More FPS-like maybe: Can't twist torso, that control would make them turn, but the normal leg turn control would make them move sideways. "Strafe" as it is called in FPS.

#504 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

Samples of quad mechs, in Chromehounds and Armored Core V. Both incidentally, from the same developers. The videos is for studying the animation and movement purposes only. The way they implement the intricate movement is fantastic. Note that there are rotating torsos on top of the quad legs, which allow you to twist and aim the guns at any direction.

Armored Core V and Chromehounds have similar design principles ( every mech is user constructed from the ground up via combining modules ) in that both have a stability factor. The higher the stability, the more shots that can be fired off a gun and the higher the accuracy (less error --- an accuracy firing cone is implemented). Quad legs gives superior stability over bipedals for use in artillery, where you got a lot of recoil, and when powerful rifles are used, like for sniping purposes. In Chromehounds, quad legs are often used for artillery mechs, and in ACV, sniper mechs often use quad legs. If you remember, artillery guns and antitank cannons in World War II are supported on four legs.

Playing these games also gave me the differentiation point between forward jointed bipedal, as in human like legs, vs. reverse jointed bipedal, as in bird like legs. Forward jointed legs are actually superior for climbing, and negotiating rougher terrain, but reverse jointed legs are better running, sudden acceleration and jumping.

Edited by Anjian, 06 April 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#505 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

For this game's purpose, I would have to vote no on the idea. I suspect the game engine used for MWO would make it difficult to implement quad mechs --- after all it is from an FPS where the primary player forms are human or humanoid. There are way, way too many nice bipeds between now and the time of Age of Destruction that I am sure people would want to pilot first. Also the game engine also makes aircraft, helicopters and tanks more possible for implementation for now, and combined arms should be the eventual (not necessarily short term) goal for MWO. Right now, I think MWO has higher priorities in mind --- CW, more maps, more mechs, clan warfare, and a way to differentiate mechs from one faction versus another.

Edited by Anjian, 06 April 2013 - 05:01 AM.

#506 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 15 April 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

go hit up armored core 5, its got biped triped quads treads hovers, you name it.

mechwarriors pilot bipeds exclusively.

Posted Image

#507 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Goliath! I want my tank on stilts! Please! :P

#508 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

it all depends on how they're implemented and how balanced they are it would be cool if they could crawl up vertical surfaces as well spider mech spider mech does what ever spider mechs do

if ya willing to trade off weapons load out for the additional armor or speed i think the tarantula from mech warrior 2 was cool and if ya don't like em don't buy em ya can have ya fun killing em instead, the little elamentals would be a laugh too, but really i dont care how many legs a mech has its the carnage that counts

ps web blasters to temporarily immobilize mechs would be good for the lols but im getting carried away now

#509 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

Posted Image

'Nuff said.

#510 LightningStorm

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts
  • Locationİstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Implementing quad mechs in MW:O might be quite hard but I'd love to see them, especially Celerity. I'm also bored with the almost identical design of most mechs, I hope they won't make anymore humanoid looking mechs.

#511 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 15 April 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

How in the hell is there any anime flavor to quads? I don't even recall any anime that actually USE quad mechs (Except for Ghost in the Shell with its Tachikomas, and those are markedly different from any Battletech design). Most quads are rather slow-ish, and a good deal of them are decent, but not outstanding (except the Tarantula), designs.

I have no clue how people are getting any sort of anime out of this. I guess its like the word "hipster" or "mary-sue". Its long lost its original meaning and people use it to describe things they don't like.

You should do some research.

The first BT quad designs came from Fang of the Sun: Dougram, a Japanese anime from 1981 through 1983 (75 episodes). In fact, many, if not most of the early BT mecha designs came from Dougram. The rest were from Macross (Unseens) and Crusher Joe. The Clan mecha were all new designs

The Dougram Abitate F35C "Blizzardgunner" Walker Tank went on to become the Scorpion.

http://en.wikipedia....the_Sun_Dougram
http://en.wikipedia....r#Model_Details
http://www.mahq.net/...ugram/index.htm
http://youtu.be/B6jLeDeVvb4 <-- episode 4 -- go to 18:18

episode 1 --> http://youtu.be/cuaCdGUamco

Quads are just tanks, anyway, and Mechwarriors do not pilot tanks.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 13 March 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#512 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

yes

#513 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

I don't see why people hate Tripods so much...they're quite nice with their hilarious movement bonuses. And superheavies, those are also really entertaining. Slow? Yeah...but still. They'd make for an interesting gamemode. A lance of superheavies versus a mixed standard company could make for a really cool game-mode.

#514 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Since they have't even made Torso twist less mechs, I doubt we gonna see quads.

#515 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

I would most definently pilot a Quad mech for a variety of reasons. However, they have soo many other things to add before they can even think about how to balance+add quad mechs. Is Mechwarrior 2 the only mech game that has added a quad before? Even in Mechwarrior 2 it piloted like a normal mech (an incredibly underpowered one at that because of it's huge size for being a light, while having poor weapons).

2 of my top 10 favorite mech designs are quad mechs. (Jaguar and Thunder Fox), with the rest of Quad mechs ranking pretty high on my favorites.

However unless we get a jump to the future we only have the following available to us in 3050:
Xanthos, Thunder Stallion, Snow Fox, Scorpion, Goliath, Fire Scorpion

Though if you go by the 3 Variant rule and exclude variants that have tech we do not have access to right now:
Goliath....... Maybe Scorpion if you include 12S and 1O, while they have stuff we have access to now, they were made after 3050.
Even though, Both the Goliath and Scorpion are Unseen from Dougram.

We'll just have to hope for a jump to the future. Though, Smoke Jaguar kind of prevents that since Smoke Jaguar "dies" in 3060, even if there will be more Smoke Jaguar warrior being found for quite a while longer (Up until the Dark age according to Sarna).
It's possible to have Quads in MWO, but one things for sure, you'll have to be waiting many many years before we get to use any quads..... I'd be happy playing with the majority of the Quads. We'll just have to stick with Bipeds for now.
Besides, I really doubt they'd make it so Quads could do somethings they could in the fluff like sidestepping.

I'll be hoping, but very very slightly because it's so unlikely. :)

#516 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Besides, I really doubt they'd make it so Quads could do somethings they could in the fluff like sidestepping.

It's not fluff, lateral shifts for quad chassis is in the rules.

#517 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

In MW:LL (which used CryEngine) the devs said they couldn't do quads--something either didn't work in CryEngine or wasn't worth all the work to recode.

I doubt that this game which uses a descendant of CryEngine (2 or 3?) will be able to do quads.

#518 DragonFire1170

Rookie

• The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

I apologize beforehand for necromancy on this thread, but it's really the only one with any discussion on the topic that isn't years old.

View PostMarauder3D, on 09 June 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

In MW:LL (which used CryEngine) the devs said they couldn't do quads--something either didn't work in CryEngine or wasn't worth all the work to recode.

I doubt that this game which uses a descendant of CryEngine (2 or 3?) will be able to do quads.

I'm thinking with MW: LL it was the fact the mechs were considered vehicles, since it was a combined arms game with you starting as a pilot/battle armor. MWO Might be able to get away with it by working in more classic FPS control for the quads.

My thinking on the quads and how they'd work is by noticing how most don't seem to have a torso twist of some sort, if any at all, while at the same time noticing the weapons mounted on some Quads are on a pivot-style mount (or a full turret on the Goliath), treat the pivot/turret as a "arm" rotation, with a wider angle on the Goliath to give it a semi-turret, while keeping the mouse as your control for pitch and turning and your WASD keys as your legs, such as in an FPS game. This would allow the Quads to use their strafing ability that was noted in the TT.

And as an earlier post said, can see a Quad being legged having gradual increasing penalties, starting with the loss of strafing with 1 leg, and two legs creating the classic "limping" we already have, and a third leg being the legging kill, since the Quad wouldn't have a way to move with just one leg, unless they want to add in just "dragging" itself along the area at an even further heavy speed penalty, which practically dooms the pilot as they can't turn the hull fast enough to likely get the mech that's coming for them; in the case of a Goliath, can see them getting a 70-90 degree "arm swing" with the turret on top, mainly to avoid the pilot from having a case of owl head.

I don't know if there's any hope for them being added, but I'd enjoy seeing, and piloting, a Quad, considering they'd add an extra element to the game. Is that big Atlas in front of you a bigger threat than the Xanthos or Scorpion that's strafing around your side to get to your rear armor?

Edited by DragonFire1170, 29 January 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#519 cybex

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

I would really like to see the quads implemented on MWO.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users