Gauss Vs. Ppc

36 replies to this topic

#21 D0m1n4t0r

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

try a LB-X AC-10 put max engine in it and lots of ammo and just shotgun rush them (armor too is good)

#22 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

The shortness of most matches is what makes the Gauss superior to PPCs. In TT campaigns the Gauss would be a liability in any situation where resupply would be an issue. In MWO you fight for 15 minutes tops so the limited ammo Gauss functions very well compared to the unlimited firepower of a PPC.

Making the PPC viable is not just a bit of number shuffling, game styles would have to change a bit as well then it would come back into it's own.

#23 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Also worth mentioning is that with the FPS style aiming mechanic, ammo is less of an issue when compared to TT. If you only have a 25% chance of hitting at long range and only 15 shots, then you've only done ~60 damage to opposing mechs, which has been randomly applied across the entire mech. Now apply a 90%+ hit rate, and those 15 shots are a lot more lethal.

#24 vladimirrostov

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think, two Gauss is better than two PPC. But I experiment with my HunchBack-SP by using double PPC and have enough space to install two SSRM2 (endosteel, 6 external double heatsink). And I like this style ;). I can sniping and have backup from faster light mech. Six external DH are enough to have'nt problem with heat. And if i can strengthen the PPC's with SSRM in medium mech, a think Catapult have much more free weight to install some ballistic weapon. And then we must compare 2 Gauss on the one hand and 2 PPC with AC10 (for example) on another.

Edited by vladimirrostov, 08 November 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#25 MFToast

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

How are the PPC, Gauss, or AC20 cat-k2s OP at all? At close range they're toast, even though the gauss rifle doesn't have the minimum range it should.

#26 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

When you can have two gauss you should even have the option for 2 PPCs and a single gauss...heat burden is crazy...but you need only two salvos to break through a Atlas side torso and disable its main guns.

#27 Aileen Dover

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'm running a K2 with two ER PPCs and a load of DHS in the torso's and arms. Works well but always seems like I'm lacking punch... ;).

Think I might try a Quad LL build and see if that is any better.

As for the Gauss builds, I got it fitted, played a round, looked at it and then unfitted it. I just don't like it...

#28 WeekendWarrior

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostMercules, on 08 November 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Making the PPC viable is not just a bit of number shuffling, game styles would have to change a bit as well then it would come back into it's own.

The only thing thats needed to make PPCs (and by extension ER-PPCs) viable is true DHS.
See AWS-9Q.

As long as DHS remain the issue they are now, nothing in the Inner Sphere's arsenal will ever beat the Gauss Rifle.
Would be same on the TT, where even with DHS the Gauss is probably the best weapon overall, only the HPPC comes close.

#29 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostWeekendWarrior, on 08 November 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

As long as DHS remain the issue they are now, nothing in the Inner Sphere's arsenal will ever beat the Gauss Rifle.
Would be same on the TT, where even with DHS the Gauss is probably the best weapon overall, only the HPPC comes close.

But still nothing beats the centuries old AC/20. ;)

And unfortunately, in TT, Gauss is very dependent on ammo supply lines.

#30 MFToast

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Doesn't the gauss rifle itself explode when destroyed, now? Buffing that a bit would be a great balance against their lack of minimum range.

#31 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Dual Gauss or dual ERPPC? Why not both?

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 November 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

When you can have two gauss you should even have the option for 2 PPCs and a single gauss...heat burden is crazy...but you need only two salvos to break through a Atlas side torso and disable its main guns.

I can do you one better.
Posted Image

My ultimate glass cannon... I call it the Glassapult.

#32 Sp4wNers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

All of You just answered my ancient question. I'm going with 2x Gauss and 4x Medium Lasers :) Thank You all... All i just want to do is DAMAGE and capture enemy base :) of course.

#33 Pantha

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

I've always loved PPCs in all the MW games for some reason, so I'll probably try them first, though I love the way Gauss rifles are described in the books, ripping through everything.. Of course most of the time I've played with PPCs would've been with Clan-era Mechs, so it might take a while before they're as effective here.. :)

#34 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

View Postvladimirrostov, on 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

I think, two Gauss is better than two PPC. But I experiment with my HunchBack-SP by using double PPC and have enough space to install two SSRM2 (endosteel, 6 external double heatsink). And I like this style :). I can sniping and have backup from faster light mech. Six external DH are enough to have'nt problem with heat. And if i can strengthen the PPC's with SSRM in medium mech, a think Catapult have much more free weight to install some ballistic weapon. And then we must compare 2 Gauss on the one hand and 2 PPC with AC10 (for example) on another.

I had dual Large Pulse Lasers on my 4SP for a while and figured I might try PPCs at some point. The issue being, of course, the lack of brawling abilities inside of 90m.

The problem I have with the PPC is it has a lot of heat, the damage doesn't exactly make up for the high heat and on top of that it has a 90m minimum range. It has all of these drawbacks but no real benefit. It's like they are trying to keep a weapon nerfed that was never really OP to start with.

I think some things that could help to make the PPC a better weapon would be to add a blast radius effect where it dealt damage to neighboring components. I think an EMP effect that could scramble your HUD and ability to relay target information to other units would also be a nifty idea.

This would allow the weapon to serve the function of causing wide spread damage across a mech along with interrupting information gathering abilities. A light hit by this weapon would feel it but because they are fast they would still have the advantage in evasion. Assuming the AoE effect does reduced damage it would be akin to holding a large laser over a single component for it's duration and pelting surrounding areas with medium or small laser fire. That could very well justify it's heat and the weapon could be further balanced from there.

#35 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostSL the Pyro, on 06 November 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Deciding between Gauss or PPCs? I've seen people use both Gauss and PPCs. It's terrifying to have shot at you.

...But if I had to choose between the two? I would also say Gauss, if only just because they don't drive up the heat gauge like mad.

This made me think: has anyone had the balls to try a dual AC/20 build?

Plenty of us have yes. It's scary getting that to the face.

#36 maddogncux

• 1,220 posts
  • LocationmosCow

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

GAUSS VS. PPC?

ac20 win!

#37 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

I finally just purchased my Cat K2, and I have to say that PPCs are not as awful as a lot of the forums would make you believe. They are a kind of weird energy/ballistic hybrid with the way they shoot, so it does take a different technique than shooting straight up lasers. I tend to like the way ballistics are in MWO, so I'm okay with that. And the sound is fairly satisfying. :(

A straight stock K2 will suffer from heat problems that a Guass kitty will not, but I'd imagine that DHS would make that a mostly moot point. I'm still with singles, and heat was manageable. I set up one trigger to fire both PPCs and another to chainfire them - that way I can always just fire one of heat is getting too high.

At this point my only gripe is that the PPC still has it's minimum range when the gauss does not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users