• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

"Would you play Clan or IS?"

Clan! (Smoke Jaguar)

I love the Clans, the lore and their culture, rules etc. I don't care of their weapons and OmniMechs. Yeah, the superior clantech is a part of the clans, but that's not the reason why i wanna play as a clanner.

#82 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

IS FRR. Duh. BTW, the clan Ghost bear Allies with the FRR soon after the invasion :P

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 April 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#83 Lailoken

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostHangfire, on 17 April 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

...it's about the folk in your team and the kicks you all have together.

I like this guy.

When it comes down to it I'm a merc (with some level of conscience / morals) so that I can field what Mechs(or vehicles) I want, when I want, for/against who I want. Though the morals can change based on my mood or the rewards (just money won't cut it) which reinforces me being a merc.Which means I'll play IS. Though that doesn't stop me from fielding clan tech =P.

Also like someone said IS beat the clans. And some of the clans are struggling with becoming Inner Sphere'ized, showing even clan culture isn't immune to outside influence. If the Clans could get over their single combat/glory in death mentality and fight like a team they'd be unstoppable. 'Trial Under Fire' (the novelization of MW3/the novel MW3 is based on) is a great example of teamwork beating a group of individuals. A well written short story if I might add, download MW4Mercs for free to get it.

If I went clan, it would likely be a warden clan or a crusader turned warden. I don't know enough about the lore to commit to one though.

For an Inner Sphere nation... Federated Suns (Davion) I think (again my lore is very rough). I do know the Lyran Alliance (Steiner) concept of 'social generals' disgusts me so I couldn't see myself being loyal to them.

EDIT: Death the the Blakists!

Edited by Lailoken, 17 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#84 aidan pryde

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Clan: Jade Falcon
Merc: Northwind Highlanders
House: Kurita

Probably my preference in that order.

#85 Kedma

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

CLAN GREY BEAR !!

#86 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

ComStar, we always win. And if you mistakenly think we've lost, you're clearly thinking far too short-term...

#87 SweeperGroup

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

IS

#88 DozyBugger

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMuntedChurch, New Zealand

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostCycKath, on 17 April 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

ComStar, we always win. And if you mistakenly think we've lost, you're clearly thinking far too short-term...

I was thinking the same, ComStar as a tabletop player of Battletech, from the late 80's I would pay IS with the Unseen :P

#89 Durandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Oh, I forgot mercs...would definitely be a Kell Hound if I was a merc :P Michael Stackpole's BattleTech books were the first I read of that universe, and you have to admit, he makes the Hounds sound pretty great...second choice would probably be the Eridani Light Horse though.

#90 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 16 April 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

The IS couldn't do squat without help from Clan Wolf/Comstar at Tukayyid and later all the Warden Clans during the Great Refusal.

Ok, I am NOT really into the lore and stuff like you guys are, so don't hound me like this please. I would appreciate it.

View PostAndrew Sarchus, on 17 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

The ONLY reason they won is the IS fought without honor. When a clan would challenge an IS world through the rite of possession; the IS leaders would lie claiming they had fewer mechs than they actually had. Example: "We have one company of light mechs" (not mentioning the medium,heavy,and/or assault mechs they have buried under debris powered down around those light mechs) so yes the IS had a lot of early victories. But then the clans quickly grew wise to the IS's dishonorable ways and started mowing over worlds throughout the IS. Were it not for COMSTAR's timely intervention (which was planned by them so they could control the WHOLE Inner Sphere... after all they were playing both sides against each other during the whole conflict; for their own profit I might add.) the entire IS would have been overrun. But COMSTAR had to stop the invasion or there would be no IS for them to rule; which was all part of the plan. To that end I choose neither IS or Clan. I AM A MERC.

Although if I am forced to pick an IS house I'd say Marik or FRR. If I Have to choose between IS or Clan I might go clan Wolf or GhostBear but would really like the option to go MERC

All is fair in love and war. Plus, in my opinion, the better man/woman in a conflict is the one left standing and going home to a family.

#91 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 17 April 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

The Jade Falcons do not call them Thor and Loki....

They will if I'm there, because I like the code names better than Summoner and Hellbringer. However, you can call them whatever you like.

#92 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 17 April 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

I think that you are completely in the dark about the setting here my friend.

You cannot buy Clan tech in this era, you will need salvage it (and you probably won't be able to repair it).

MW4 has unfortunately created the image that you can easily buy Clan tech. Clan tech is rare outside of the Clans even in the Fedcom civil war era, and even then it's really expensive to buy since the sellers can ask any price.

Ok firstly, just about EVERY MMO I have been on has had some sort of player based economy called an AUCTION HOUSE or EXCHANGE which means, if player A salvages Clan Tech B he can then sell to player C for X C-Bills. Also, if I can repair MY 'mech why would I not be able to repair a bit of clan tech that I salvaged. Also, a side note here, I have this funny feeling that you and I will dance as fellow Wolves in a fight for honor. dunno why I feel that tho. Also Clan Tech rare outside the clans? Before invaision, I agree, after? not so much so, salvage will make for getting alot of tech to the players.

#93 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostDozyBugger, on 17 April 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

I was thinking the same, ComStar as a tabletop player of Battletech, from the late 80's I would pay IS with the Unseen :P

I would love to see Comstar as a player faction, those vintage SL era mechs would be awesome to fight with/against.

View PostFACEman Peck, on 17 April 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Ok, I am NOT really into the lore and stuff like you guys are, so don't hound me like this please. I would appreciate it.

No big

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 17 April 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

They will if I'm there, because I like the code names better than Summoner and Hellbringer. However, you can call them whatever you like.

These guys are the ones you should be talking to.

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 17 April 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Ok firstly, just about EVERY MMO I have been on has had some sort of player based economy called an AUCTION HOUSE or EXCHANGE which means, if player A salvages Clan Tech B he can then sell to player C for X C-Bills.

Well, we currently do not know a lot about the salvage and potential trade systems. But your system seems rather open for a lot of abuse.
A player could make a account among the Clans and lose on purpose to a friend so he can salvage and sell it.

Also, if I can repair MY 'mech why would I not be able to repair a bit of clan tech that I salvaged.

This was a major plot point since the IS cannot produce the parts. Clans are not all that keen on selling their stuff untill the Diamond Sharks open up shop (3060+).

Also, a side note here, I have this funny feeling that you and I will dance as fellow Wolves in a fight for honor. dunno why I feel that tho.

We will see.

Also Clan Tech rare outside the clans? Before invaision, I agree, after? not so much so, salvage will make for getting alot of tech to the players.

Again, it depends on the salvage model.

#94 ShadowRam

Rookie

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Ghost Bear for me.

#95 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Well, seeing as how we don't have much of an option right now, I'd play IS.

As soon as Clans get implemented (assuming they are) then I'll join either Jade Falcon or Wolf.

#96 Modi

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I would definately go with Clan Wolf. My insignia shows House Davion. In truth I have always played the game as a merc tied to Davion. That gave me the best that Davion had and the ability to go out on my own and get better gear by other means. Never had the option to play as a Clanner though.

#97 Odins Reaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationOn Eden

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 17 April 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

And you will be called freebirth every time.

#98 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostOdins Reaver, on 20 April 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

And you will be called freebirth every time.

Nipple neck. heheheh

#99 Odins Reaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationOn Eden

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Freebirth stravag.

#100 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Working my way through the clan war period of the books ... and I stand by my earlier assessment of the clans.

Not for me.

They are rigid and have sticks soooo far up their posteriors that they make us British look like free loving hippies!!

Seriously ... They are egotistical and boring in the extreme! If it wasn't for the chance of salvaging clan tech they wouldn't be even worth killing!

I will never pilot a clan omnimech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users