Any Love For The Flamers Coming?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Woodat

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

No, not the forum type :P

As one of my favourite weapons in games of mechwarrior past, I rigged out my jenner with quad-flamers lately and have been testing it out. I have to say, despite the sheer volume of burniness being pumped into mechs (some even full stopped, point blank range, continuously) it's all-but impossible to get another mech to shut down from overheating. I can pump 95% of my XP-extended heat tolerance into another mech and they'll just happily continue, not just moving, but moving and shooting any type of weapon they please. I'm seemingly overheating myself more than I'm overheating them. Flamers are obviously not there to do damage to other mechs, but I've never once seen a kill from a flamer, leading me to guess they're not causing internal ammo reserves to go off either.

Of the dozens of people I've hit (heavily and continuously) I think I've managed to knock about 4-5 into heat-lock, and even then when they're already pushing themselves heavily in combat. As such, if this weapon is not overheating other mechs, it's not damaging other mechs, and its not risking other mechs' ammo supplies, really what point does it have? I'm not suggesting a massive increase, but at least a little better than a 1:1 heat increase so you actually have some justification to using them rather than just making both of you slightly more useless; with you coming out worse because you still heat up even if you miss while they don't.

(I will note it does certainly get bigger mechs' attention though. I am still planning to use it for its flamboyancy and to draw heavy mechs off my teammates, but really that's not much justification for running without a decent pack of lasers. As I've only seen one other person running flamers yet hundreds of people running Artemis LRMs it can probably be assumed this is nowhere near an overpowered, or even decently powered, weapon atm).

Edited by Woodat, 08 November 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I hunted a Raven around the map in a 3 Flamer Cicada once... after 5 minutes, my opponent suicided. Still, I doubt I would have killed him for another three minutes...

#3 Woodat

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Ha! I take that back! One official flamer kill. I can't vouch for his rather beat up condition already in the middle of a firefight (though we were losing badly), but he just seemed to pop when I scorched him.

Also have had a little more luck heat-locking a few mechs this evening, though it's by no means a sure or useful thing unless they're already actively firing stuff. And this is with 4 flamers. Also doesn't help you're totally blind in the jenner when they fire

#4 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Forget your flamer what about the machine gun?

#5 Circles End

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSol III, Northern hemisphere, Denmark

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Both of them are currently borken, but Garth has confirmed that he does not envision them staying like this. Other things are however higher on the list. I imagine the hitboxes and odd crashes are priorities at the moment.

#6 Long Draw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Well, I have two confirmed kills tonight using my 6xFlamer Stalker. Not sure if it was because they overheated too much or just lucky to have consumed their last minute amount of internal health.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users