Will there be Aimbots?

98 replies to this topic

#41 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Good to know Bryan. The less cheating in MWO the better!

#42 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Are we talking about something to practice on to test out your mech, like a Jenner running amok like a chicken in a random place? Wouldn't bother me but I'm unlikely to use it.

Are we talking about third party programs designed to help people cheat to win? No, no, hell no. If another player ever approached me and asked if I wanted one or admitted to having one I'd immediately report them. I'm playing and likely paying for the game for my enjoyment and I will always play fair (meaning within the rules - I will bite, kick, charge, jump, and do whatever else I need to to win) and never use an outside program.

#43 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

The amount of people meme-ing up these forums is definitely on the rise.

Not surprisingly, the rate at which I find the memes amusing, has stayed at an ever-constant 0%.

As for hacks, all games WILL have them. A nice thing about Steam integration is if you determine the player is cheating, you can subscribe to have Valve lock their account out. Freestanding on its own, I'm not sure what kind of punishment you can invoke on a F2P gamer.

#44 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Honestly as far as cheats go I'm more worried about ways to override torso twist speed and such, though as said below, it might be really hard to do.

Keep in mind people even figured out how to fly in Living Legends and started exploiting that and that has less than 1% of the community size MWO will have at launch even.

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 April 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Due to the nature of the game and how we've designed the code. This should be rare.

As long as you folks don't ever implement PunkBuster, I'll be extremely happy. That program seriously does more harm than good!

#45 Mattiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 400 posts
  • LocationAthenry

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Wow. A joke topic I made got a dev response. Hopefully the nature of the code will cut down the jokers who load up on long-toms and have 100% accuracy with them.

#46 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostMattiator, on 22 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

...the jokers who load up on long-toms and have 100% accuracy with them.

Just plain skill. :rolleyes:

#47 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 20 April 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

I am not in favour of automatic aiming, that's for poeple who cannot shoot. :rolleyes:

This...I always turn off auto-aim in all games i play

#48 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I know auto-aim from WoT, unreliable as ****.
When it does not predict movement of target & trajectory drop its practically useless.
3rd party advanced aimbots are big problem, big cause CryEngine 3 already have plenty of them.
As anti cheat, Pbuster is semi-successful (BF3, APB are still swarmed with hackers), or develop own a.c.

#49 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

successful troll is successful!

#50 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Not sure if i understand the question right. You mean a build-in aimbot? From what i read from the devs, surely not.
For cheaters; there are always ways to cheat, so there will be an aimbot/something sooner or later.

View PostMattiator, on 20 April 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

After all that, it's less funny than when I wrote it in my head. Oh well.

Please, every question is just a question. Posting something like this is what for? I hope we get a good game and the forumites stay clean from just rack postcount up, thank you.

#51 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

AFAIK, most stuff will be server side ...... ala WoT....

The only way to "hack" the game when its done that way is to hack the actual servers which is quite a feat in of itself.

Basically it means you can't just start a proggy and get 50% more health as all of that stuff is held on the devs servers, not your client, and thus cannot be intercepted or spoofed.

All your client does is exec/draw the game & recieve the information the server is giving you.

So your client is really just a control platform...it sends out your inputs to the server and then the "server" interprets them within its rules....ie if your client is saying turn torso fully right at a speed above what the server says is your limit it doesn't matter, because the server KNOWS the max speed etc etc.

Thats just how WoT's / server side games work...it hasn't been confirmed that MWO is 100% like this.

#52 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

aimbot is client-sided

the game may use peer to peer architecture, it was not mentioned yet

#53 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

View Poststeel talon, on 23 April 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

aimbot is client-sided

the game may use peer to peer architecture, it was not mentioned yet

An aimbot only works when there is mostly everything calc on the client.

To the best of my knowledge.....

In a client based game (which is peer to peer like most console games) when you press shoot your telling the other peers you shot here and thats where the bullet goes, the other peers recive this weither they got shot on their screen or not. (thats 1 reason you can be shot behind walls sometimes and the reason for host advantage.....hacks/aimbots can work here)

In a client based game (which is server run like most fps games with dedicated servers) when you press shoot your telling the server you shot here and it relays it to the other peers. (hence hacks/aimbots work here also)

In a server-side game (which is server run no dedicated servers run by the playerbase) when you press shoot your telling the server you want to shoot and the "server" does the shot and tells YOU where it went. (hacks/aimbots cannot work here as you cannot override the speed at which your torso turns, or your mech runs, or your guns converge....the "server" is telling you what it is and good luck hacking pgi's server hosting all just to increase your torso twist =\ .)

Even if MWO was run on dedicated servers or peer2peer an aimbot would be useless because of torso twist speeds / mech turn speeds / convergance speeds etc it might make it easier to keep your aim on target but it wouldn't be instant headshots all over the place.....

Edited by Foòóoo, 23 April 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#54 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostFoòóoo, on 23 April 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

An aimbot only works when there is mostly everything calc on the client.

To the best of my knowledge.....

In a client based game (which is peer to peer like most console games) when you press shoot your telling the other peers you shot here and thats where the bullet goes, the other peers recive this weither they got shot on their screen or not. (thats 1 reason you can be shot behind walls sometimes and the reason for host advantage.....hacks/aimbots can work here)

In a client based game (which is server run like most fps games with dedicated servers) when you press shoot your telling the server you shot here and it relays it to the other peers. (hence hacks/aimbots work here also)

In a server-side game (which is server run no dedicated servers run by the playerbase) when you press shoot your telling the server you want to shoot and the "server" does the shot and tells YOU where it went. (hacks/aimbots cannot work here as you cannot override the speed at which your torso turns, or your mech runs, or your guns converge....the "server" is telling you what it is and good luck hacking pgi's server hosting all just to increase your torso twist =\ .)

Even if MWO was run on dedicated servers or peer2peer an aimbot would be useless because of torso twist speeds / mech turn speeds / convergance speeds etc it might make it easier to keep your aim on target but it wouldn't be instant headshots all over the place.....

Even server side based i would imagine GPU driver based aimbots, or client side ones will still work (client side ones could remove recoil, remove objects from the field of view or make them see through.

#55 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'd even count hitbox skins in this category. If you really need a visual cue to tell you that hitting this tiny square will make you the winrar, you're sorely lacking in skill. Use brains. Learn from experience. Gain more bearing.

#56 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Due to the nature of the game and how we've designed the code. This should be rare.

That statement has been said by many a developer. How about lets wait and see while promising to let Paul code in fun troll like punishments for aimbotters the likes of;

Limp lasers,
ammo explosions
sticking throttle/controls
Disappearing equipment

#57 WAR SilverZ

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

It's good to know that PGI is at least thinking of possible hacks.

There will always be individuals who attempt to create hacks for popular games.
It's up to the game creators / administrators to monitor and punish those who use the hacks.

Edited by WAR_SilverZ, 23 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#58 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostFoòóoo, on 23 April 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

AFAIK, most stuff will be server side ...... ala WoT....

The only way to "hack" the game when its done that way is to hack the actual servers which is quite a feat in of itself.

Basically it means you can't just start a proggy and get 50% more health as all of that stuff is held on the devs servers, not your client, and thus cannot be intercepted or spoofed.
Thats just how WoT's / server side games work...it hasn't been confirmed that MWO is 100% like this.

Actually it isn't that simple, but i try to explain it simple:
Example: The damage you do to something is going to the server, the damage you get comes in to your client. So hacking the client software to get godmode is possible.
Some ways to prevent this are that the server is "cross-checking" in/out packets or shield-software that checks the running exe and background programs that fiddle with the RAM and/or network traffic.
If the server checks ALL vars it would be too much load, so you must decide what to check and what not.
See WoW, there is the possibility to godmode, but there is no gold-cheat.

So yes, there will be hacks, mostly you can only stop them when they occur with

#59 Mason Ventris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Aimbots......ummmm.....errrr.....What?

#60 Phaetul

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Here is the topic that this was modeled from.

http://mwomercs.com/...-there-be-nhua/

54 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users