Mechwarrior Online + Sweetfx(Modified Shaders)

77 replies to this topic

#1 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thanks to CeeJay.Dk @ Guru3d forums and many others who create the shader code we have this wonderful new tool for games. It allows you to adjust many shaders and add some new ones to a game. Increasing the visual quality.

I decided to try it with MechWarrior. I have some decent results but I am not finished tweaking yet. I have only started. The changes may not be that apparent in the screenshots but you will definitely notice it ingame.

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Now as stated this is not in anyway finished. I am tweaking constantly, I am not currently happy with the config but I decided to show some screens to show you what is possible. If you want to test the tool yourself you can get it here.

http://www.guru3d.co...e_download.html
To make this work you need to copy all the files into the games root folder AND the bin32 folder. Make adjustments to the SweetFX_settings.txt in the root folder.

My Config

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ Choose effects /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/
// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines.
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 // [0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0 // [0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0 // [0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 1 // [0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX 1 // [0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 0 // [0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP 1 // [0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE 0 // [0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES 0 // [0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA 0 // [0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 // [0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 0 // [0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN 0 // [0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/ SMAA Anti-aliasing settings /
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.12 // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 16 // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 6 // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 0 // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.
// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0 // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/ LumaSharpen settings /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 0.50 // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.035 // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035
// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias 1.0 // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
// I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen 0 // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/ Bloom settings /
#define BloomThreshold 20.25 // [0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower 1.446 // [0.0000 to 8.0000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth 0.0142 // [0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/ HDR settings /
#define HDRPower 1.00 // [0.0 to 8.0] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2 0.87 // [0.0 to 8.0] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/ TECHNICOLOR settings /
#define TechniAmount 0.2 // [0.0 to 1.0]
#define TechniPower 2.8 // [0.0 to 8.0]
#define redNegativeAmount 0.88 // [0.0 to 1.0]
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.88 // [0.0 to 1.0]
#define blueNegativeAmount 0.88 // [0.0 to 1.0]

/ Cineon DPX settings /
#define Red 8.0 // [1.0 to 15.0]
#define Green 8.0 // [1.0 to 15.0]
#define Blue 8.0 // [1.0 to 15.0]
#define ColorGamma 1.5 // [0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
#define DPXSaturation 2.0 // [0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.
#define RedC 0.36 // [0.6 to 0.2]
#define GreenC 0.36 // [0.6 to 0.2]
#define BlueC 0.34 // [0.6 to 0.2]
#define Blend 0.2 // [0.0 to 0.1] How strong the effect should be.

/ Lift Gamma Gain settings /
#define RGB_Lift float3(1.000, 1.000, 1.050) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gamma float3(1.070, 1.015, 1.000) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain float3(1.000, 1.000, 1.005) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/ Tonemap settings /
#define Gamma 1.40 // [0.00 to 2.00] Adjust midtones
#define Exposure 0.00 // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust exposure
#define Saturation 0.078 // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust saturation
#define Bleach 0.00 // [0.00 to 1.00] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors
#define Defog 0.000 // [0.00 to 1.00] How much of the color tint to remove
#define FogColor float3(0.00, 0.00, 2.55) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to remove - default is blue

/ Vibrance settings /
#define Vibrance 0.20 // [-1.0 to 1.0] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/ Curves settings /
#define Curves_contrast 0.30 // [-1.0 to 1.0] The amount of contrast you want
// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula 7 // [1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use.

/ Sepia settings /
#define ColorTone float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to tint the image
#define GreyPower 0.11 // [0.0 to 1.0] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
#define SepiaPower 0.58 // [0.0 to 1.0] How much to tint the image
/ Vignette settings /
#define VignetteRadius 1.00 // [-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -1.00 // [-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope 8 // [1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // [0.00 to 1.00] Center of effect.

/ Dither settings /
//No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.
//Note that the checkerboard pattern used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
//This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/ Splitscreen settings /
#define splitscreen_mode 3 // [1|2|3|4|5] 1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split

Edited by devast8ndiscodave, 09 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#2 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I am ok with it and think it looks pretty darn good

Question tho - does it violate terms of service? Kinda on the edge...some things The devs were ok with, others they were not so much, so i dont know...

#3 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Looks ok I guess, just seems to make the ground pop a little more. /shrug.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I need Mechs to pop more... they fade into the Brown/Black at 100m... This is a good start I'm going to try it.

#5 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

In game you will notice the difference, the colours are more vibrate and less washed out.
Vettie this injector pack has been used in alot of games like battlefield 3 etc and its allowed. It does not effect the game code or gameplay.

#6 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Why did you make a second thread about this instead of editing your original one?

#7 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Where is the second thread?

Edit:
Found it, sorry. Double post. Delete old one.

Edited by devast8ndiscodave, 09 November 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#8 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I dont know, I am a bit sketchy about using 3rd party programs to change the visuals of the game. How much of a stretch is it then to start removing textures all together to render things more visible, thus giving you an unfair advantage over someone not using the program and using the core game. I personally would advise against it till we hear definitively that its ok.

#9 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

All this mod seems to have done is... increase gamma, I guess? Couldn't you have done that from the in-game settings? I'm really not seeing a difference.

#10 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 09 November 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

All this mod seems to have done is... increase gamma, I guess? Couldn't you have done that from the in-game settings? I'm really not seeing a difference.

I mentioned already that the screenshot dont really do it justice. There's alot more going on that just Gamma. I am also not complete in my config. People that are worried about being banned need not fear. I have been using these injectors for over a year in several games and not once has me or anyone else been banned using them. All they do is add some shaders to the already rendered game.

#11 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostViper69, on 09 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

I dont know, I am a bit sketchy about using 3rd party programs to change the visuals of the game. How much of a stretch is it then to start removing textures all together to render things more visible, thus giving you an unfair advantage over someone not using the program and using the core game. I personally would advise against it till we hear definitively that its ok.

Its not a ban offense because people have been using config files since early CBT. They have promoted use in the past for various reasons. A lot of settings are locked down so there is no taking out terrain. Not even sure if most of these even work anymore because of those lock downs. It's like removing the film grain... not a huge advantage and the game actually looks better.

#12 unwary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

This makes my MWO crash :)

Though it makes Skyrim so much prettier!

#13 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Requesting comparison pics while playing on Forest Colony, please. I'd like to see how well this utility makes natural (read as: not super yellow-washed Caustic Valley) colors stand out.

#14 unwary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I tried and it definitely improved the colors BUT my game crashes way more frequently than before. So I had to remove it.

#15 Blaximus

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sweet gotta try this, thanks.

#16 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Played a couple of games with this, looks better and I can see a bit further, no stability issues noticed, but I don't crash often in the first place.

Forest colony with these settings is so dark its like night fighting. . .

edit: updated for forest colony

Edited by Lictor, 18 November 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#17 Sythe

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I have tried several times but MWO won't launch. I've tried following the directions exactly and messed around with diffident things but the client always just minimizes after I hit play.

Any suggestions would be nice.

#18 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I did it, game launches, but i can't seem to toggle it on and off which makes me wonder if its running.

#19 Britane

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

if you're trying it and have an issue where you click "PLAY!" and something starts to run then vanishes... here's the fix:

copy the SweetFX files to the main game folder, but move d3d9.dll , dxgi.dll and injector.ini to the bin32 folder

so most files go here:
C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online

and those above mentioned three files go down into:
C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32

you will want to adjust SweetFX_settings.txt

for instance you probably don't need USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING on,

I recommend you focus your tests on:
USE_LUMASHARPEN
USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN
USE_TONEMAP
USE_VIBRANCE

#20 Sythe

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostBritane, on 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

if you're trying it and have an issue where you click "PLAY!" and something starts to run then vanishes... here's the fix:

copy the SweetFX files to the main game folder, but move d3d9.dll , dxgi.dll and injector.ini to the bin32 folder

so most files go here:
C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online

and those above mentioned three files go down into:
C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32

I've done this but I still get the issue where I click "PLAY" and the game just minimizes. I have more than enough hardware to run this. Does it have issue with AMD cards?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users