Rejoin Battle In Progress

78 replies to this topic

Poll: Rejoin battle option (262 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a rejoin battle option?

1. Yes (255 votes [96.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.96%

2. No (8 votes [3.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Straften

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Currently, there are crash glitches, as well as some debilitating and annoying graphical glitches. These range from making the game unplayable, to minor annoyances.

This suggestion would be an out for PGI, buying them much needed time to work on certain bug hunting. Allowing players to rejoin would clear up a lot of forum posts, and would keep players happily playing longer. It's good for the players, it's good for PGI.

View Postltwally, on 09 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Questions: In what state is your mech? Where do you rejoin the battle?

These two questions could be highly relevant in situations such as disconnecting while at the enemy base.

You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You're sitting at the enemy base. You see them coming, you disconnect, they trash your now zombied mech at their spawn and move off. You rejoin, your mech restored to the condition it was when you abruptly exited. What condition are you in? If you rejoin as things were when you left off, you're in good shape and in position to resume capturing their base. That seems ... problematic.

Or,
You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You see massive flights of LRM's heading for your Atlas and know you cannot hide in time. You hit the button and kill MW:O. Two minutes later, your buddy tells you the lone surviving Dragon is all tore up and close to capturing your team's base. You rejoin, returning back to base, slay the enemy Dragon, and win the game. That seems... problematic.

Two minutes later you rejoin and your mech is dead and you are in spectate mode. I don't see a potential for abuse here.

#22 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

The only reason MW:O doesn't allow free joining as far as I can tell, as it's definitely not a technical issue with Crytek, is that you would need a 'mech to spawn into.

However, if you leave the match and your 'mech is still in match anyway, rain or shine, I can see no reason you shouldn't be able to reconnect to the game and get dropped back in your 'mech.

You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You're sitting at the enemy base. You see them coming, you disconnect, they trash your now zombied mech at their spawn and move off. You rejoin, your mech restored to the condition it was when you abruptly exited. What condition are you in? If you rejoin as things were when you left off, you're in good shape and in position to resume capturing their base. That seems ... problematic.

All that this would change is that people would have a reason to kill AFK 'mechs instead of ignoring them. I don't think that is too unreasonable.

#23 Aedensin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 337 posts
  • LocationN.C. United States

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this!
With all the crashing and disconnects taking place throughout the community, this seems necessary.

#24 Straften

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostAedensin, on 28 April 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks for resurrecting this!
With all the crashing and disconnects taking place throughout the community, this seems necessary.

Yeah, it's a fairly simple fix. They don't need to rush and fix all of the bugs. They do this, and they can take their time with the bugs, without missing content releases. More importantly, it would reduce stress for them, as the player base would be greatly satiated.

#25 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yes, I would like to see this, and TBH expect it to be a pivotal feature of the coming UI 2.0.

There are a few "contingencied" that may need to be worked out, for example having a destroyed mech and then (re)joining, or being LMS but DCed and the team having (fairly) given your location to the other team(the latter being of tactical nature so therefore not really "the devs problem").

But esp. in teh case of a "pure" CTD at the start of the match, I think this would be a noticable improvement for all involved ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 28 April 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#26 Neolisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostZerberus, on 28 April 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

... TBH ... LMS but DCed ... "pure" CTD

No offense, but I cannot understand your English.

#27 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Rejoining a match you got dropped from is basic functionality and needs to be in. It would help curb the current instability leading to one player dropping on average from every single game. I swear it's so common I've begun to think the engine can't handle 16 players and has a hard limit of 15.

#28 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

View Postltwally, on 10 November 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Even if there is such a feature, there is remarkable potential for abuse. A simple rejoin timer would not really address the issues I was concerned with, above.

So, you're saying that a rejoin-er will return to his zombied mech in whatever state the opfor has left it in... but his repair bill will be something different?

I just don't see that working out either easily or well.

I'm not against the rejoin idea. But I do think very careful consideration should be taken prior to implementing it.

Here's the thing... Repair and rearm is currently dissabled... and i think that even when its back on the repair and rearm would count no matter whether you disco or not.. thats the way it was before anyway... if thats fixed to being repair only for the time you were actually in the fight then thats great but that would already be being calculated and you wouldn't be liable for that....

View Postltwally, on 09 November 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I may be wrong about this, but as things currently stand, your finances only reflect the point up to you exit the game. If you disconnect with only minor damage, you only pay for that minor damage, regardless of how much damage is inflicted to your zombied mech after you're gone. Likewise, you only get profits that you've earned up to that point.

How many players will be willing to reconnect knowing that they may be coming back to not only a trashed mech, but a huge repair bill?

Or do I misunderstand the way a disconnect currently works?

they way it worked before rearm and repair was dissabled was that you payed for all repair and rearm cost...

as far as a time limit to rejoin from the start of match... i can't say i agree... i have had a C2D halfway into a match... i hate to bring up Star Trek Online but this is a practice that they adopted: if you crash or disconnect... as soon as you log in... it drops you back into the pvp you were in within a certain period of time... i believe its 3 minutes from disco...

as far as the ultimate solution to the C2D being to fix the bugs.... dude seriously... have you never played any other game ever? every game crashes from time to time... it just happens... this isn't just an idea for the current level of buggyness... this is an idea for the entire game...

and to the one guy who said people could use this and you get shot in the back by a disco.... i don't care if its a disco... i kill it.... if its a mech not laying on the ground in pieces.. i destroy it... or at least take a leg... and obviously you have never run against a team pulling the Akbar Manuever...

#29 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Questions: In what state is your mech? Where do you rejoin the battle?

These two questions could be highly relevant in situations such as disconnecting while at the enemy base.

Or,
You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You see massive flights of LRM's heading for your Atlas and know you cannot hide in time. You hit the button and kill MW:O. Two minutes later, your buddy tells you the lone surviving Dragon is all tore up and close to capturing your team's base. You rejoin, returning back to base, slay the enemy Dragon, and win the game. That seems... problematic.

So, while I voted "Yes", I think this would need to be carefully considered so that it does not fall into instant abuse.

seriously... you would not come back to a restored mech... your mech persists in the world environment... so if your dead... you rejoin as spectator...

#30 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostNeolisk, on 28 April 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

No offense, but I cannot understand your English.

lol

TBH - to be honest
DCed - disconnected
CTD - otherwise known as C2D - Crash to desktop
LMS - that one im lost on too...

#31 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostTaynak, on 28 April 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

seriously... you would not come back to a restored mech... your mech persists in the world environment... so if your dead... you rejoin as spectator...

I think the 2 people that voted no and posted arguments against it didn't seem to understand thought either this would be exploitable or recon.

I can see NO way leaving your 'mech unmanned for any period of time could be to your benefit.

#32 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Needs to be implemented, and soon!

#33 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 28 April 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

I think the 2 people that voted no and posted arguments against it didn't seem to understand thought either this would be exploitable or recon.

I can see NO way leaving your 'mech unmanned for any period of time could be to your benefit.

right and if you get blown up then you get blown up...

#34 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

In actuality I would argue that you should be forced back into that match and not allowed to start another one while you have a Mech "In Game".

#35 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostTaynak, on 30 April 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

right and if you get blown up then you get blown up...

Yep - if your 'mech is dead before you get back, that's just what happens. It's entirely reasonable.

I wouldn't mind a "Disconnected" ICON appearing above living 'mechs when they disconnect as a side note, so friendlies can see who they're down. If a system like this was put in, I bet you a lot of those launch-discos would just rejoin in a minute or so.

View PostLord of All, on 30 April 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

In actuality I would argue that you should be forced back into that match and not allowed to start another one while you have a Mech "In Game".

Now this, I'd argue against. Too many times a lucky shot will get you early, and watching a PUG Raven run around hiding while the other team refuses to capture for 12 minutes with no way to get into another match when playing casual PUGs would be a nightmare.

You could argue it's a suitable punishment for dying early, but remember, almost always SOMEONE dies early - esp. scout pilots - and it would suck badly for whoever it is. Often it is out of your control in a PUG too - you run in with two Atlases thinking you're at the top of the world, only to watch them unleash machine guns and stumble towards the nearest 'mech with no thought at all... you're probably going to die and fast when this happens.

Edited by Victor Morson, 30 April 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#36 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Probably it is because rejoining would have to go through the matchmaking system everybody loves so much.

The engine would support that, the matchmaking probably not.

#37 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Three discos on the enemy team in one game today, I don't imagine that was fun for either team. So yes.

#38 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 30 April 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

...Now this, I'd argue against. Too many times a lucky shot will get you early, and watching a PUG Raven run around hiding while the other team refuses to capture for 12 minutes with no way to get into another match when playing casual PUGs would be a nightmare.

You could argue it's a suitable punishment for dying early, but remember, almost always SOMEONE dies early - esp. scout pilots - and it would suck badly for whoever it is. Often it is out of your control in a PUG too - you run in with two Atlases thinking you're at the top of the world, only to watch them unleash machine guns and stumble towards the nearest 'mech with no thought at all... you're probably going to die and fast when this happens.

No, Maybe I didn't make myself clear. As long as your mech is functional you should be forced to stay in it.

#39 Straften

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostLord of All, on 30 April 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

No, Maybe I didn't make myself clear. As long as your mech is functional you should be forced to stay in it.

This is good.

#40 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

IIRC PGI have stated that they are already working on this and you can expect it SOONTM :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users