23 replies to this topic

#1 CMD Corgi

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Quick question, what are the stats for Medium Lasers? Does 4 Pulse lasers stack up against 8 medium lasers dmg wise or heat wise? Thanks in advance

-Cmd Corgi

#2 RoBroCop

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

http://www.mwowiki.o...ium_Pulse_Laser

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

I think it's ML 5 dmg and 4 heat to MPL's 6 damage and 5 heat. The MPL has a lot smaller duration time, though.

#4 Derpycobra

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

Assuming you're talking about large pulse lasers (there's no way 4 medium pulse lasers will do better than 8 medium lasers) you will have the same damage output but with an increased heat of 4.

One medium laser has 5 damage, 4 heat and weights 1ton.
One medium pulse laser has 6 dmg, 5 heat and weights 2 tons.
One large pulse laser has 10 dmg, 9 heat and weights 7tons.

Now about the 8 med lasers:
5*8 dmg, 4*8 heat, 1*8 tons = 40dmg, 32heat, 8tons, a cooldown of 3s and a Heat per Shot of 1.

4 MPS:
6*4 dmg, 5*4 heat, 2*4 tons = 24dmg, 20 heat, 8tons, CD of 3s and HPS of 1.33.

4 LPS:
10*4 dmg, 9*4 heat, 7*4 tons, = 40dmg, 36heat, 28tons, CD of 3.25s and HPS of 2.25.

So, 8 medium lasers are better than 4 Medium/Large pulse lasers in damage, heat and tonnage.

#5 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

I'm relatively new to the scene, so take my perspective with a grain of salt:

What you are paying for, so to speak, is the shorter duration on the pulse lasers. They do their slightly higher damage in a faster window than the beam lasers, which have to be held on the target for the longer period of time to do their full damage.

So which is "better," in my opinion, is a function of how steady your hand is. If you think you can hold the beam on a target for the full 1-second duration, the medium lasers will be best, every time. If you want to get all the damage out that you can, as quickly as you can, the 4 pulse lasers won't add up to the 8 mediums on paper, but you might end up dealing more damage on those "glancing blows" that characterize the majority of shots fired.

#6 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Something else to consider is how many energy weapon hardpoints your mech has.

According to the hardpoint map, there is only 1 mech currently in the game with 8 or more:
http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/

So if you are not piloting an HBK-4P then you won't be able to put 8 lasers of any kind on your mech.

Edited by knnniggett, 10 November 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#7 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

8MLAS will do 10DPS and generate 8HPS, with a max range of 540m.
4MPLAS will do 6.4DPS and generate 5.32HPS with a max range of 360m.

Other considerations:
MPLAS are easier to hit with than MLAS due to their shorter beam duration. (It's easier to keep steady aim for 3/4 of a second rather than a full second).

When I used to pilot the HBK-4P (the only mech with 8 energy hardpoints) I always pulled out 2MLAS and replaced them with Heat-Sinks; it gave it a much higher sustained DPS, with a very respectable 30point alpha strike.

Edited by EtherDragon, 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#8 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

No contest
5 MPL Cicada wins every time
Yeah it's an expensive mech, but worth it
300 XL engine, 17 DHS
It's a nice balance of more dps than a gausscat, with pinpoint accuracy.
You have less range, but that just makes you more accurate.
The best part is you don't have to stay on target very long with the pulse lasers, so you can do the "swooping" attack.
Running at scout speed with respectable amount of armor and internal makes you survivable.
You can get on those Atlases rear and have them dead before they can get a shot on you.
It's even more fun to do it to a catapult with too small of an engine.
I can't tell you how many mechs I've killed this way and I'm pretty sure they never saw me on their screen.
If your big and slow, you better have a buddy covering your flank.

#9 Mechwarrior413183

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostLege, on 10 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

No contest
5 MPL Cicada wins every time
Yeah it's an expensive mech, but worth it
300 XL engine, 17 DHS
It's a nice balance of more dps than a gausscat, with pinpoint accuracy.
You have less range, but that just makes you more accurate.
The best part is you don't have to stay on target very long with the pulse lasers, so you can do the "swooping" attack.
Running at scout speed with respectable amount of armor and internal makes you survivable.
You can get on those Atlases rear and have them dead before they can get a shot on you.
It's even more fun to do it to a catapult with too small of an engine.
I can't tell you how many mechs I've killed this way and I'm pretty sure they never saw me on their screen.
If your big and slow, you better have a buddy covering your flank.

That sounds like an interesting build maybe I'll get a Cicada somewhen and try it out, never done scouts before.

#10 FLes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

View PostLege, on 10 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

What's a "swooping" attack?

#11 Vallyn

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostFLes, on 11 November 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

What's a "swooping" attack?

I'm assuming he means a hit and run. I use a 9xML HBK-4P build and it's deadly effective - unload an alpha into the fray as you run by, get cover and cool down then jump back in for another strike or two before hiding again. Really frustrates the slower mechs.

Additionally with a 45 point alpha not too many mech's survive a 3rd or 4th strike if you hit the same region. Nothing like two shotting a Centurion in the back ;)

#12 Screaming Cruiser

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

But . . . I have found that with pulse lasers I sometimes completely miss the target, whereas with regular lasers I can walk them onto the target and at least score some damage.

#13 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I used to never use the pulse lasers, too heavy and too hot I thought. I only run pulse if I can now. I play a hunch G pretty much exlusively. I will take its three mplas over laserbacks build anytime. I have had lots of duels with laserbacks and I win the vast majority. I dont think its because Im some super pilot, but I can target my damage much easier, and that is what seems to make the difference. Now, if you know you are always going to be able to take that careful shot on a non moving mech, then the 8 mediums hits much harder. I just find that those kind of shots, are the exception, not the rul.

#14 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostScreaming Cruiser, on 11 November 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

But . . . I have found that with pulse lasers I sometimes completely miss the target, whereas with regular lasers I can walk them onto the target and at least score some damage.

If you are straving with your lasers to do some damage, you will find that the damage is very minor. You should really work on getting into firing positions where you can concentrate the entire beam duration onto the same spot. It's a waste of heat to strafe fire your lasers over and over again - the damage just isn't enough.

#15 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostMalzel, on 10 November 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

What you are paying for, so to speak, is the shorter duration on the pulse lasers. They do their slightly higher damage in a faster window than the beam lasers, which have to be held on the target for the longer period of time to do their full damage.

So which is "better," in my opinion, is a function of how steady your hand is. If you think you can hold the beam on a target for the full 1-second duration, the medium lasers will be best, every time. If you want to get all the damage out that you can, as quickly as you can, the 4 pulse lasers won't add up to the 8 mediums on paper, but you might end up dealing more damage on those "glancing blows" that characterize the majority of shots fired.

True.

#16 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I find some weapons seem to fit my playstyle better than others. Ran and loved a 6ML [30pt alpha] Cicada 2A (320xl, 16DHS). ECM made me revisit my Cicada 3M, on which I mounted 4MPL [24pt alpha] (320xl, 14DHS). Both mechs would usually survive whole battle, firing alphas while running about like headless chickens. I felt most of my hits held true for the beam duration's length. Match reports seem to indicate, however, that I definately do more with the MPLs.

Incidently, are the fractional amounts of damage caused by a spread hit location beam attack lost, or do they still count? For example, if my 5 damage ML did 0.3LA, 0.7LT, 2.1CT, 0.9RT, 1.1RA would only 2CT, 1RA count?

#17 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

It's worth mentioning that ML's have a longer range and damage drops of slower than with a MPL. Depends on what you mount with it also, for one trick mechs i'd tend to take ML's, for something that's more multirole, i'd maybe think of a few MPL's instead.

#18 Spectre999

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

I have to agree with the guys above, it's all about fitting the playstyle and the little quirks besides raw damage.
Generally speaking, comparing raw damage and heat generation doesn't paint you the big picture.
You have to put it in the context, i.e. how many hardpoints are available, how are they distributed (4x arm slot for lasers is a wholly different story than 2x Arm + 2x torso mount) how much free tonnage is left for the heatsinks, and what is your preferred range of engagement.

Personally, I use 4x MPLAS + 2x SSRM2 on a HBK 4SP. Superb combination at close range, but I often find myself wishing for a slightly longer range.

Generally, I think MLAS is much more balanced, especially if you compare it to other weapons ton for ton, you get nice damage and pretty good range. When you choose MLAS over MPLAS, you can easily use it to score assists and let's not forget that it saves you a few tons that may be spend on heatsinks for much better heat performance (which translates into dps).

On the other hand, MPLS are easier to aim with. Not just hitting the target, mind you, but keeping the beam on the target for maxiumum damage. If you can keep the target at optimum range and have enough HS to keep firing steadily, you'll be glad for the added damage. The +1 point quickly adds up.

Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be either/or. A friend of mine has good results with 2x MLAS + 2x MPLAS (Each MLAS+MPLAS pair is bund to either LMB or RMB), so just experiment.
Be sure to test how lasers behave on chain fire. With 4x MLAS or MPLAS, it allows you to limit heat buildup while you can just press the mouse button and fire without a pause. It's brutally effective when applied to the cockpit, and much easier to hit with than a 4-laser alpha.

I'm sure you realize 8MLAS vs. 4MPLAS is a highly unrealistic theoretical scenario, as there aren't many mechs that can actually support that many lasers. However, if you really do need an answer in that vein, I would take 4x MLAS with 4 Heatsinks over 4x MPLAS with 0 heatsinks any day.

Edited by Spectre999, 10 December 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#19 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Why does everyone forget the Awesome-8Q when talking about boating lasers? 7 energy hardpoints of fun to be had on the 8Q!

Medium lasers are wonderfully efficient damage dealers with decent-ish range. I picked up my 8Q with dreams of boating 6 LLAS on it, but had middling results. They took up too many slots, I couldn't fit enough DHS in, and while the damage was nice, I had no staying power.

Now I run the 8Q with 3 LLAS and 4 MLAS. I can burn people with pinpoint damage at a range with the LLAS, and use the MLAS when they get in close to still lay out the hurt while being a bit more heat conscious. I've been torching people to a crisp with this set-up.

It is important to think about real battle situations. On paper, the MLAS reigns supreme, but in practice, results may vary. For example, I love to stay a good mid-range from a fight, 400-500ish meters or so. Just on the very periphery of what the MLAS can reach (for pitiful damage with the fall off) but perfect for melting mechs with LLAS. Very satisfying to pop off a Catapults missile box with a few well place LLAS burns.

The same may be true for a fast moving skirmisher, perhaps the higher one-shot punch and shorter duration of the MPLAS might make them more valuable overall despite the extra heat and weight and lack of range. Hell, I've equipped sniper mechs with the universally maligned ERLLAS to good effect. You just have to use them right.

The only laser I had real crap results with was the LPLAS, and it broke my heart. I wanted so much to love those glorious streaks of blue. But the weight, heat, stubby range, and hardly noticeable increase in damage made them losers in every regard. If they only weighted one more ton than regular LLAS, or generated only a bit more heat, or did a significantly greater amount of damage, there may be some niche for them, but as it stands they are useless (if cool sounding/looking) weapons.

Edited by Wrenchfarm, 10 December 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Quick question, what are the stats for Medium Lasers? Does 4 Pulse lasers stack up against 8 medium lasers dmg wise or heat wise? Thanks in advance

Medium Laser > Medium Pulse

Pulse Lasers are just not very good for their weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users