39 replies to this topic

#21 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 10 November 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

big whoop, if it was 8 kills and your using a jenner then i'd be impressed but as it stands now aand kills being the only stat counted, the stats count for jack and crap.

8 kills yes you did fine, but how often was that your the last shot in that fight, aka kill stole from yuor team or did they call you in for fire support with your 3 lrm 15 artemis, it's not hard to get a stat to say anything if you try hard enough.

i'd get 8 kill games to if i organise my group to let me get the kill shots

You have no idea what the your talking about do you? First of all Jenners are smaller, and have more mobility than a Cicada which Antonius Prime used.

Second, If he USED a Jenner than most likely he would have stolen all those kills, No way a jenner would get all 8 alone unless he was either hanging back waiting to finish something off.

Thrid, Impressed? Jenners are far better at keeping themselves alive longer than a Cicada in a nimble pilots hands. Far too easy to get out of dodge when you need to in one of those.

And if im not mistaken, you dont get assists for your OWN kills.You can toss those haters out too.

The pilot just schooled his enemies how well a graceful mechwarrior works. Well done. Excellent work friend. Eat it Lyran lovers!

After a game like this, hes more than entitled to feel proud and share. He didnt say he was a god, and was mildly humble about it. More than I can say about something ID do or half the populace of mwo, the way he handled his excitement in the community is tactful and something we can all appreciate and learn from.

On that note. Haters gun' hate. I just try to appreciate.

Edited by Vectoron, 11 November 2012 - 03:51 AM.

#22 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Well done OP, ignore all the haters and ragers. Theyre always gonna hate.. I've gotten quite a few kill in a few games with my laser hunch and get accused of ksing, yet I have 800+ damage. If it was simple KSing OP would have low damage. Yet he does not.

Just saying bro.

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Happening to get in the last blow on an enemy isn't, in itself, that impressive, and eventually by simple odds it's going to happen with all enemy mechs in a match (especially in something as mobile as a Cicada, which has the opportunity to get over and take part in every fight, everywhere)... but with that said, this is still nicely done.

I don't care that you just happened to be the last one to strike an enemy; I care that you did the bulk of the damage to bring them down, regardless of who gets the "kill" credit, and that you did. 996 damage is a good showing. Keep it up :P

It should also be noted that you getting in the killing blows means you might have been doing a better job of focusing that damage over critical areas than the rest of your team. That's not demonstrable just from these numbers, but if so, then you did a doubly good job.

Edited by Catamount, 11 November 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#24 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

He got 8 kill shots, this does not mean he got 8 kills in the game. I hate people who see the "X kills" and claim that they killed all of those mechs. If a player single handily killed an entire team they would easily go beyond 900 damage.

Dont be so quick to toot your own horn. I would be much more impressed with 900 damage, 1 or 2 kills and 6-7 assists.

#25 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

You do realize he did nearly 4x as much damage as the next nearest person on his team right? Looks more like he carried some folks who were in trials (a few 0 xp folks in that list) than "kill-stealing."

And, :P at people who get bent about "stolen kills" in the first place.

Edited by Bagheera, 11 November 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#26 IQwrassler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario ... hunting for kimuras ...

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Good work, Antonius!! Great damage, great story, and of course, great kill count!

There seem to be a lot of jealous people around trying to spoil your pride, hehehe ...

I have been running a Cicada of late, and love it! May I ask how you like to outfit your chassis??

#27 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostBagheera, on 11 November 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

You do realize he did nearly 4x as much damage as the next nearest person on his team right? Looks more like he carried some folks who were in trials (a few 0 xp folks in that list) than "kill-stealing."

And, :P at people who get bent about "stolen kills" in the first place.

I don't base m y games off kill shots. The fact that he did that much damage doesn't impress any good pilot in an Atlas can rack up that much damage. My problem with the OP is he makes it out like he won the game all by himself. Even if they were in trials they provided him the proper cover (Or even distraction in a trial mech) to allow him to do that much damage. Gatta give credit to the PUG's and 'Mech meat".

#28 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

I'm surprised no one's said it:

Good Game man :P

...what was your Cicada using? If you said you were using an Atlas or a K2 I'd kinda go '...okay' but pulling it off with a Cicada is exemplary.

#29 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostDagnome, on 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

I don't base m y games off kill shots. The fact that he did that much damage doesn't impress any good pilot in an Atlas can rack up that much damage.

Really? Someone in a 100 ton mech can match a good showing from a 40 ton mech? I just totally never figured that that was possible :P

Yep, sorry OP; nothing you did represents doing a remotely good job, because someone else could have done the same thing in a mech two and half times more massive.

#30 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostCatamount, on 11 November 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Really? Someone in a 100 ton mech can match a good showing from a 40 ton mech? I just totally never figured that that was possible :P

Yep, sorry OP; nothing you did represents doing a remotely good job, because someone else could have done the same thing in a mech two and half times more massive.

Considering he is using another persons screenshot I cant tell what he was piloting. But to argue your point it is not hard for any mech to rack up damage if they are allowed to sit behind a pug and just damage them without gaining the attention of the enemy. As none of us were actually there we cant confirm how the game actually went. You are correct in saying I did missed the part about him saying he was "piloting a cicada".

It isn't so much that I do or don't believe the OP it is just annoying how suddenly people find the need to get their E-peens stroked. Several threads have popped up in General discussion as well about this today. When we focus on individual accomplishments and make them a priority over how effective the entire team was in battle that's when we all become a bunch of ragging stat whores.

That's this pilots opinion anyway.

#31 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Dagnome, I don't disagree with your overall point. Most of the time, the only stats I bother to look at are win/loss and damage, the first because I play almost exclusively with FWLM groups and I care about my team winning and the second because I like to know I'm pulling my weight. Without going and looking, I couldn't even tell you my kill:death ratio or kill count, and wouldn't care if I could.

I'm just saying that "an Atlas can do it too" isn't much of an argument... about anything :P (unless we're talking about racing?)

#32 Smokewolf

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Wow!! nice game! Liked the description for the game too. Great accomplishment.

#33 Antonius Prime

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I will share my build.

First, I will make a couple quick points.

I, too, think the concept of kill stealing comes from an individual mindset and not a team mindset.
The same is true for claiming you have always earned as many kills the screen says you got.
The best done games are when your team each have one or two kills each.
I understand where the feeling of KS comes from when you have worked hard to whittle a guy down and then someone else comes galvanization in and happens to get the finishing shot.

We can't run with full teams atm. We are limited to four max. In this case I had 3 teammates that I knew. The other 7 did contribute in some way. 8-v-1, I would have been crushed. Damage was done to 4 of the enemy Mechs before I got to them. The other 4 I completely killed single-handed. The real key was that I got to engage people 1 or 2 at a time. In this scenario, I was able to out-pilot the enemy and use terrain to my advantage. If you read the story, At no point was I engaging any enemy in conjunction with a teammate. That is what made this run unique and worth posting for me.

Crazyhorse came on and testified to the facts and I could get the other two who where in the 4-man group if it really mattered. Heck, since at least half the match I was the only one left, I could probably email the PUGs on my team, since they were watching through my camera. I might get one or two of them to post in here. Frankly, I don't think it is that important as I am not trying to tout my own horn as much as share an awesome experience with a (largely) awesome community.

I am not trying to argue the philosophical point that every SS of 8 kills means 8 totally earned kills. But does that mean it is can never happen either? In this case, it did. That is why I bothered to share it.

As far as damage done:
I do need to respond to the logic of this. Would you rather do 250 damage to a Mech or 125 targeted damage?
I could just as easily argue that a large damage total shows that someone is not a skilled marksman.

Again, thanks to all who have offered congratulations. I feel like a proud member of this community, not some god pilot who any should pay homage to.

Finally, back to my build.

Cicada 2B (I think without referencing, is the one with 5 Energy)
XL300
Endo-Ferro-DblHS
15 HS (1.15 efficiency)
5xMedPulse
Max armor except for 37 of 40 in each leg.

The key here, imo, is that I line up many of my shots rather than always twitch fire (making up for the low Heat Eff.) I also use terrain and break contact while a cool a bit and use the opportunity to often come back around from a direction they do not expect. The Pulses help me concentrate the damage in one section most of the time as opposed to raking across shifting enemies. I think of each match as a contest of wits and maneuvering more than an all out melee. (Remember, I was dog-fighting in every one of those kills.) I often alpha (but not always) when I have that good shot which most often puts up to 30 points into one section.

I also look for weaknesses. If a mech can be legged fairly easily, do it. If he has a lot of weapons in one section, blow it off. If he is obviously running an XL, hit a side torso section. Try to get behind a poorly maneuvering pilot. Vs. a good pilot, don't bother with trying to get behind, just whittle down their front or, alternatively, leg them and then get behind.

So, it is somewhat the build, but moreso making a build that complements my playstyle. If this is not your playstyle, don't use this build. If you twitch fire or stand toe to toe and score the bigger or better blows, don't use this build. If you often run into terrain because you cannot keep track of your environment without looking where you are going, do not use this build. If you constantly run at full speed and circle strafe your enemy, do not use this build. This build requires a lot of positioning and re-positioning. Start and stop. The Cicada does not have Jumps Jets, but it is hands down more maneuverable than the Jenner. It turns on a dime, but changes momentum forward and backward a little slower than the Jenner. Knowing these intimate details and limitations of the Mech you are is key to truly mastering your ride. It is about truly piloting your Mech and not just shooting from it.

Your mech's maneuverability can be just as much of a weapon as those you fire. The even the field by causing them to waste shots. Know their weapon recycle times. Take advantage of them. I love fighting a Heavy or Assault pilot who alphas all the time.

#34 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

That's a very similar Cicada build to my primary mech, and I agree that it's a really nice mech. Mine is the 2A (I prefer the arms just being big shields for your STs, Cicada's got enough weapon movement range just in the torsa, IMO), and I use just 5 med lasers, and use the extra tonnage to get another DHS out of it and run a 340XL instead of a 300 so I can get around the map and dodge a little better. Otherwise though, we have effectively the same mech, and it's a very lethal machine. I think I might try your setup sometime though and see if the pulses are worth the speed tradeoff; I would have done it originally, but my mech was build with 5 small pulses in mind before they ramped the heat up on them, so I only had 5 tons to spare for weapons. The pulses do help focus damage, especially against faster opponents, though I have to wonder if the extra speed will be missed when the lag armor gets remedied (how fast does the 300XL get you?).

I had one match where a friend (ExAstris) and I both ran small pulse versions of them (before they fixed that weapon) in an otherwise pug match and did what you did with all 8 kills between us, only we did like 75%-80% of the damage on the team (we were both close to 1k). We just ran around and two-man dropped everything on the enemy team while the rest of the PUGs just sort of... well you know, ran in circles uncoordinatedly and did nothing. That was actually the day I switched permanently from Cats to Cicadas :) Good to see others are enjoying the mech as much as me.

Edited by Catamount, 11 November 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#35 Antonius Prime

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I kind of adjust as the game does. I try to have strategies of the moment rather than set in stone doctrines. I run at 121.5kph. I just got speed tweak to get me up to 130kph. If something changes and I need the speed to survive, then I will go with the 320 or 340 and give some in the firepower dept. It's all about what is best in the practical balance of things. Is the benefit worth the cost? What is the best balance that works for you?

btw, I love when a thread gets through most of the stupid hate speech and get down to actual discussions like this. Thanks for the interest.

#36 Justin Xang Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostDawg, on 10 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Cherry picking at its finest. No assists : (

you can not assist killing your own kill.........................................

#37 N0V0CAIN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostAntonius Prime, on 11 November 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

To those who have offered congratulations: Thank you.

Since there is also a bunch of hate flying I will tell you the story. That and because it is a cool story.

My friend did the screenshot (hence the green line on his name), so that was not my Centurion cockpit. I was in a Cicada. I don't really need to prove myself to anyone. It was great fun just to enjoy it with the 3 guys in TS3 with me. I won't make too many posts after this that explain or defend unless someone has a genuine question they want me to answer.

Here goes.

Forest Colony w/Snow. I went to the right (water side). I poked my head around the terrain with Thermal View. I saw that most of their team was on land, so I ran around to try to begin capping and draw some of their team back, splitting them up. On my way, I encountered a K2 with a Guass, LLas, and a few other Lasers. I dueled and downed it and then saw an Awesome in the creek bed firing out at me. I moved in and killed it along with a Commando who joined him. (That is 3 kills so far all untouched Mechs.)

I start capping and then two teammates joined in the cap zone. I look up and see that we have 3 kills and they have 5, so us three are the only ones left. At this point I figure if they get on our cap, they would outpace us. If they charged back to their base, they would likely stomp the 3 of us. My team was a Hunchback and a Centurion. I assumed I was the fastest, so I charged out from their base. I hoped to either skirmish the enemy away from my team while they capped, or to get on our base to hold them off while my team finished the cap.

As I charged out, I encountered two enemy Mechs just across the land bridge. They were fairly beat up. I took those two down (5 kills) and looked up to see that the other team had 7 kills. My teammates had been taken down and had stopped capping. The cap only had about two ticks left before we would have won.

I charge back into their base and hope to sneak out the capture win while skirmishing with the enemy. It was a Jenner and a Yen Lo Wang. I took out the Jenner and started in on the Yen Lo. The Yen Lo was still yellow in the armor at worst. I was orange in one spot and yellow everywhere else except one arm had no armor.

Just then I see that our base had started to be capped. I debated for just a few seconds while dueling the Yen Lo. Could I defeat him and get those two ticks before the other guy capped? I decided not to take the chance. I ran from the base and back to ours. It was a Hunchback who had good armor in the front, but his back armor had been peeled off and had yellow structure. I dueled him to his demise and then ran back to their base, keeping my eyes open for the Yen Lo. I didn't see him anywhere so I charged up by the radar tower and into the enemy base.

The Yen Lo had stayed put, knowing that two ticks was all that was needed for him to lose. I dueled him and at last I took him down. The game was over. 8 kills. My teammates had softened some of them up. Still, not a single kill steal. Never once was I engaging enemies at the same time as another teammate.

Well Done - You should have waited till monday most of these kids would be in school.

Edited by N0V0CAIN, 20 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#38 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostDagnome, on 11 November 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

He got 8 kill shots, this does not mean he got 8 kills in the game. I hate people who see the "X kills" and claim that they killed all of those mechs. If a player single handily killed an entire team they would easily go beyond 900 damage.

Dont be so quick to toot your own horn. I would be much more impressed with 900 damage, 1 or 2 kills and 6-7 assists.

Wat.

In case you still missed it... He did 996 damage AND had 8 kills. Your post makes no sense.

Edited by Kassatsu, 20 January 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#39 stun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostKassatsu, on 20 January 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Wat.

In case you still missed it... He did 996 damage AND had 8 kills. Your post makes no sense.

You know the post you quoted was made over 2 months ago.

#40 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 10 November 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Impressive damage and 8 kills. Nothing to sneeze at. Good work.

this

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users