Hunchback 4Sp "the Bulldozer"

62 replies to this topic

#41 Sorho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Slight derailment, but I notice 'File created using MWO mechbay' at the end of their builds.

Is this an offline version of Mechbay that can be used to test builds and if so can anybody point me to a download?

#42 Eclipse186

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postsuperteds, on 27 November 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Try this;

4x MPL (2 groups, 1 group per arm) for swatting lights
2x SRM6 w/ 3t ammo
1x MLas in the head for zombie work. drop this for a tag+more armour/1t SRM ammo

For hit and run you don't run into heat issues, and a 3rd group with the MPLs on chain helps keep you cool for a sustained brawl.

Way too much damned heat.

#43 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostEclipse186, on 27 November 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Way too much damned heat.

not really. you're rarely running everything non-stop for more than a few seconds... a lot of the time is spent on either just the arms, followed by some running, followed by the SRM's, followed by more running. you don't just stand there and brawl. Also note the head laser throws the heat eff. down further - this very very rarely gets used (your main lasers are arm mounted, you're only using the SRM's for a split second).

#44 Eclipse186

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postsuperteds, on 27 November 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

not really. you're rarely running everything non-stop for more than a few seconds... a lot of the time is spent on either just the arms, followed by some running, followed by the SRM's, followed by more running. you don't just stand there and brawl. Also note the head laser throws the heat eff. down further - this very very rarely gets used (your main lasers are arm mounted, you're only using the SRM's for a split second).

I understand that, however, you're still running quad MPL's with a ML and 2x SRM 6's. Plus, with a 250 engine means you're really cutting into your heatsink tonnage. Not only do MPL's run hotter, but are significantly heavier as well (twice as heavy if I'm not mistaken). Tell me you won't run into heat problems on any map other than Ice City.

#45 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostEclipse186, on 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

I understand that, however, you're still running quad MPL's with a ML and 2x SRM 6's. Plus, with a 250 engine means you're really cutting into your heatsink tonnage. Not only do MPL's run hotter, but are significantly heavier as well (twice as heavy if I'm not mistaken). Tell me you won't run into heat problems on any map other than Ice City.

I don't, and i didn't all the way through to mastery v0v

#46 Lavrenti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostEclipse186, on 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Plus, with a 250 engine means you're really cutting into your heatsink tonnage.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the answer is clearcut. Remember that heatsinks in the engine function at 2.0 efficiency if you've upgraded to DHS, not 1.4 like the external ones. The 2 extra internal sinks you get from using a 250 engine instead of a 200 are almost as effective as 3 external ones would be without requiring any critical slots, and you still get all the benefits of the extra speed. This includes turning faster, which can be handy against light mechs.
It's a bit of a balancing act what combination of engine and heatsinks will get you the best cooling for a given weapon fit, but the 250 isn't automatically worse.

#47 Golden Sentinel

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostSorho, on 27 November 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Slight derailment, but I notice 'File created using MWO mechbay' at the end of their builds.

Is this an offline version of Mechbay that can be used to test builds and if so can anybody point me to a download?

http://widowmakers.c...opicID=10257355

#48 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

That many medium pulse lasers run a bit too hot for my tastes. I tried them, and... sorry, this thing isn't so fast that you can run away from everything. Engage lights and start shooting at them, and any amount of sustained fire overheats you quickly. And when I tried this, I was even running without the extra head laser.

#49 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just as a side note, you can pretty much make the exact same build with the 4J, for when you are grinding xp up on other chassis to master.

However the 4J has all the missiles in the right torso, so if you lose that, and your right arm goes with it, you are losing most of your firepower. Whereas losing a torso in the 4SP usually leaves you with half your firepower (Maybe more if you put a laser in the head to zombie).

#50 VALKYRA

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostKivin, on 11 November 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Upgrades:

Ferro Fibrous Armor: No.
Endo-Steel Internal Structure: Yes.
Double Heat Sink: Yes.
Artemis: No.

Loadout:

Head: Empty.
Left Shoulder: SRM 6, Double Heat Sink.
Right Shoulder: SRM 6, Double Heat Sink.
Left Arm: Medium Laser (2), Double Heat Sink (2).
Right Arm: Medium Laser (2), Double Heat Sink (2).
Centre Torso: Standard Engine 245.
Left Leg: SRM Ammo (2).
Right Leg: SRM Ammo (2).

Armor:

Head: 18/18.
CT: 54/64.
CTR: 10/64.
RT: 38/48.
RTR: 10/48.
LT: 38/48.
LTR: 10/48.
RA: 32/32.
LA: 32/32.
RL: 47/48.
LL: 47/48.

Mech Info:

Speed (KPH): 79.3 (85 /w Speed Tweak).
Tonnage: 50/50.
Firepower (Alpha Strike): 50.
Heat Efficiency: 1.19.
Armor - Standard: 336/338.

Usage:

This mech makes an excellent medium brawler. I've been routinely getting 900+ damage with up to 4 kills per match in PUGs with this, assuming I don't lose half my team in the first two minutes of the match.

Play conservatively, at first. See which way the wind blows. Find the enemies' blind spots, get in and fire your six packs at near point blank range. Use your speed to duck in to cover and break locks. Several hit and run passes easily bust up a trial Atlas-K by focusing the hip gun. Other mediums absolutely melt.

Don't be afraid to use your arms and shoulders for HP buffer. I frequently finish matches with both my arms and shoulders blown out, but still top damage.

Heat is a little touch and go, but you should have no trouble dealing out high damage if you manage it carefully. While you cool down, switch to full SRM or full lasers, depending on which is more situationally (is that a word?) useful.

Piloting identical 'Mechs is a little trite, but a buddy and I have been running a pair of these and we find it fairly easy to get at least seven kills by using our speed to isolate 'Mechs and lighting them up from behind.

This is not a very beginner friendly 'Mech, but it does make good practice. The Hunchback has excellent torso twist and arm reach - It can shoot almost 180° behind it to get an extra laser cycle as you duck in to cover, or to give an annoying scout a poke.

Speed management is key. Use your top speed to get in to a heavy mech's blind spot, but throttle down and carefully manage your steering and speed to remain back there. If you're careful, you can stay out of reach of most 60-100 tonne pilots for quite a few weapon cycles. If you are in danger of being shot, throttle up and blow by them at max speed. Come around again from a different angle.

Good luck, friends.

edit November 17, 2012:

I've been reflecting on some of the suggestions/modifications that have been posted though this thread. I still feel that this build is the best one presented for the majority of situations. That's not to say that suggestions are completely without merrit; I simply feel that these options bring too little to the table for what you have to give up. The Hunchie is just fifty tonnes of Mech and we have to make the best of it, and that means prioritization. This is supposed to be a min/max build, it doesn't pretend to be anything less.

- Artemis:

Artemis is a valid and distinguished choice for upgrading SRMs. The tightened spread makes SRMs very capable of loping off arms or torso segments. However, given the range that this 'Mech operates in, I don't believe Artemis is efficacious.

Artemis also increases the cost of rearming ammo greatly. It no longer is financially feasible to rearm every match. And, given the following bullet, having 75% ammo is a Very Bad Thing™.

- Reduced SRM Ammo:

There isn't really any middle ground here. If you aren't using up your SRMs, pull some ammo. I do use it up - frequently, in fact. I can absolutely say that I've lost kills because I ran out of SRMs; and not because I wasted them. More SRM ammo actually makes me feel better than adding Artemis.

- Tag / Anti-Missile Systems:

If you're solo, why do you want a Tag anyways? If you're grouped, I'm sure there's someone better at it than you. You've got mighty acceleration and a decent top speed, let the natural rock formations be your AMS.

- XL Engine:

Are you crazy? If you've got an XL engine on your Hunchback, you have no business brawling. If I finish a match with both my shoulders intact, either the enemy team flopped or I didn't play to my potential.

- Up-sizing or Down-sizing the engine:

My team mates and pretty well clocked out the odometers on our 4SPs and we are of like mind- the speed is perfect right where it is. Down-sizing is totally out of the question and up-sizing requires you to sacrifice something... think carefully.

I have copied this build exactly...and do not have enough tonnage required to hold a STD 245 Engine. Any Suggestions? I am fallin a full 2 tons short...only way I can make it work is to strip armor from the body

Edited by VALKYRA, 30 November 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#51 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostSmeghead87, on 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Just as a side note, you can pretty much make the exact same build with the 4J, for when you are grinding xp up on other chassis to master.

However the 4J has all the missiles in the right torso, so if you lose that, and your right arm goes with it, you are losing most of your firepower. Whereas losing a torso in the 4SP usually leaves you with half your firepower (Maybe more if you put a laser in the head to zombie).

Not only that, but the SP has two lasers on each arm, whereas the J puts just 1 laser on each arm, and the other two laser hardpoints under the hump.

So yes, you can duplicate the build, but it's really an inferior chassis as far as hardpoint layout is concerned.

#52 Aameris

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I m running a 4SP with 2x6srm w/2T and 4 ML on arms, AMS, switching SL on head for a tag or not, up to the mood of the day.
I was short for a Std250, and my Std 260 from a Cat was there. It s nice, even without speed tweak.
And from statics, the 4 ML are making more damage than what I was thinking. SRM are a nice blow, but ML are every time on doing damage. When I get a nice shoot angle, then SRM make my day.
So Std260 gives nice speed for starters, if you can afford it.

#53 Col T C McQueen

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Kivin for your post.
I've built my first Mech using your advice and the advice of the commentators. The second match I got ambushed by an Awesome while trying to cap. It was one on one with nobody else in sight. Luckily for me I had AMS and he had lots of LRMs. After closing in he had no chance. The adrenalin rush was ... awesome. :)

#54 Kivin

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

You're welcome. Surprised that this thread is still getting any attention at all. Medium 'Mechs are in a tight spot with the current game dynamics, but I still maintain that this is a strong build, as far as the 50 ton range goes.

In light of the fact that the time to kill has gone down so much (since I originally wrote this post)- because people are boating higher damage weapons and circumventing overheating, I am inclined to agree with the posters who, at the time, advocated reducing the amount of ammo and equipping Artemis IV. You just don't have the time to burn through 4-500 SRMs any more.

#55 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I've been having a lot of luck with a glass cannon variant with 18DHS and XL Engine, this is one of the better variant/chassis in the game, i think.

#56 m33lah

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Been running with this build and it's pretty solid (usually use a 4h with ac20).

Also been playing with a few things.. If you remove 4 DHS (1 from each solder and arm) you can fit a STD275 in there as well with HE still only 1.24.. pretty nifty :)

#57 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostRaso, on 12 November 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

You probably are. I've noticed it a lot more in my Hunchback recently. I think that people are starting to respect them... and fear them!

For sure, a good hunchie pilot will attract unhealthy attention from the other side, especially if you fade in and out from behind assaults and heavies and smack an enemy mech upside the head. Also, when you get talked about - like taking out Atlases and jaegers using just a hunchie, you become a primary target yourself.

In the end, though, it's all about the pilot, mates. I usually have no problems killing 4J's or 4H's until those pilots get better. 4SP and 4P can give me a even run . Heh, one match we had two enemy mechs trying to cap our base - a catapult and an hunchie 4G or H. They must have been new because Im in a 4G, quickly killed both and took off to look for more. the mech that went back with me, a Blackjack I think, didn't even get a shot off.

my 4G(F) build is an AC20, 3xMLas, STD 215. I've gotten 800 points in the thing so I'm comfortable with the way it runs. I also only use a Logitech JS and Razer Nostromo.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 14 September 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#58 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

IMAO after last buff for hunchbacks there is only one choice for 4SP and this is : HBK-4SP true warrior speed+power

#59 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, i made the grave error of equiping artemis on my Hunchie 4SP, so tht is money wasted :-(

anyone has a goodwewposns lodout whta could try to maeke the 'mech more efective in the battlea/SRM's obiously,but wat aboutlaser? I still need afew C-Bills tough to et it the wq I want

#60 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

My build is equally brutal, more heat efficient and almost certainly more ammo efficient.

Std 235
5 ML
2 srm4 + artemis (super tight grouping means pinpoint shots and never losing missiles)
endo
I believe 8 DHS - 2 each arms and sts
2 tons of srm ammo

Less ammo because you need less as all your shots will hit the location you want and combine with your MLs for some armor shredding devastation. You might see a small drop in overall damage on average (I believe I'm in the 6-700 range solo pug over a LOT of matches - and equal that or more in CW x2 because I run it in duplicate) - should see your kill efficient crank through the roof though. I don't spend time stripping all the armor like you would me more prone to with srm6 spreads, but when you engage with this that target is going down in a hurry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users