What Will Integrating Dx11 Do For The Game?

58 replies to this topic

#21 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 12 November 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Pentium parts would wreck his framerates.

Sounds like you don't read benchmarks comparisons =(

#22 Clay Pigeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Pentium parts are only dual core.

This game needs 4 cores.

#23 Horrorizer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

trying to fix DX11 is a waste of resources that should be put on implementing the faction fight for planets,
i have never saw a game that works properly with DX11, it is always buggy and slower than DX9,
company of heroes is much more slower in DX11 and civization V always crashes unless u return to use DX9.
i and other games that i can switch from dx9 to 10/11 which arent buggy (human revolution), there is just no difference

#24 Cant Get Right

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

You know how you know it's a lie? He said internal testing.

#25 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

all i hope is that it will allow SLI on my machine.

#26 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostHorrorizer, on 12 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

trying to fix DX11 is a waste of resources that should be put on implementing the faction fight for planets,
i have never saw a game that works properly with DX11, it is always buggy and slower than DX9,
company of heroes is much more slower in DX11 and civization V always crashes unless u return to use DX9.
i and other games that i can switch from dx9 to 10/11 which arent buggy (human revolution), there is just no difference

All I hear is "I have no idea what I'm talking about" and then you prove it.

#27 Jeye

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

The CryEngine is heavy on the CPU. In most cases your FPS bottleneck will be your CPU speed and not your GFX card. My mouse cost more than the GFX card in my 2nd PC but with a 3.8Ghz i7 it still gets 40 FPS avg in medium settings.

Each 100 mhz increment on the clock changes the FPS by ~6-7

#28 Corpse Grinder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostValder, on 12 November 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Just swap out those AMD/ATI parts for Pentium/Nvidia and you'll boost framerates by %100.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue about intel and AMD... I have what I have, deal with it.

Also, none of my resources come even close to 70% usage. So it's obviously not my rig.

Edited by Corpse Grinder, 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#29 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostJeye, on 12 November 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

The CryEngine is heavy on the CPU. In most cases your FPS bottleneck will be your CPU speed and not your GFX card. My mouse cost more than the GFX card in my 2nd PC but with a 3.8Ghz i7 it still gets 40 FPS avg in medium settings.

Each 100 mhz increment on the clock changes the FPS by ~6-7

This is exactly what I was thinking after I dropped all the settings as low as they'll go (including resolution) & there was no difference in frame rate. Then I see Masto said the same thing. The only conclusion I could come to is that the game is very stressful on the CPU & it's not using all cores. I'm hoping/expecting the multi-threading support in DX11 will help the frame rate & make it look a bit better.

I wonder how long the game's gonna be broken after that gets implemented.

View PostCorpse Grinder, on 12 November 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm not going to argue about intel and AMD... I have what I have, deal with it.

Also, none of my resources come even close to 70% usage. So it's obviously not my rig.

Valder's a fanboy & clearly out've touch with reality if he's promoting Pentiums. Nothing wrong with either one, except apparently Intel has been found guilty of illegal waste dumping, harassment, discrimination, anti-competitive practices (whatever that means) & something else I think. Vulpes Veritas could tell you more since that's who posted it somewhere in here.

Edited by Freeride Forever, 12 November 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#30 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Meh, to me DX11 is just that thing the silly fools talk about. Real men roll XP, baby.

#31 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostFreeride Forever, on 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Valder's a fanboy & clearly out've touch with reality if he's promoting Pentiums. Nothing wrong with either one, except apparently Intel has been found guilty of illegal waste dumping, harassment, discrimination, anti-competitive practices (whatever that means) & something else I think. Vulpes Veritas could tell you more since that's who posted it somewhere in here.

lol, no just stirring the pot. I actually like AMD a lot. They put out quality gear in a much more affordable and practical fashion than Pentium. I just was hoping he'd be willing to swap his entire system over based off of my post.

But seriously... they do benchmark a bit better for the same specs. Maybe they made a pact with the devil and the illegal waste dumping, harassment, discrimination, and anti-competitive practices are just their way of holding up their end of the bargain.

#32 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostValder, on 12 November 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

If you can't find the "New Post" button in the general forum, I doubt anyone's going to be able to help you here. Do all the things that guy up above said, like updating video drivers, disabling UAC, run windows update for service pack updates, etc. But again... If you can't figure out how to make a new thread, maybe battlefield is more up your alley, lol.

Edit: Are you translating to/from Russian?

All my drivers are up to date, I always disable UAC on fresh Windows install. Also my kd ratio here is above 10, but I guess it's low for an easy game like MWO.

I stopped making threads in September when all the mess started with all the newfriends making a thread. Now the devs even stated that they will delete/move topics, so why would I bother? I would post a new thread in a support section but I can't find it now.

#33 christophermx4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'll tell you what DX11 is going to bring to MWO.

HD snowflakes in Frozen City. Those trees in Forest Colony? You'll be able to classify which species they are with HD leaves. On Caustic, you'll watch in fascination as the armor of your Mech slowly melts into HD liquid metal.

As a matter of fact, they'll probably change the name of the game to Mech Warrior Online HD.

#34 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostFreeride Forever, on 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

This is exactly what I was thinking after I dropped all the settings as low as they'll go (including resolution) & there was no difference in frame rate. Then I see Masto said the same thing. The only conclusion I could come to is that the game is very stressful on the CPU & it's not using all cores. I'm hoping/expecting the multi-threading support in DX11 will help the frame rate & make it look a bit better.

Have you even looked or are you just spouting off? The game client makes -extensive- use of multithreading and utilizes all 4 of my cores equally. I'm not sure if you're familiar with software engineering at all, but deciding on a multithreaded approach is a major design decision that's made at the beginning.

#35 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

it will make a great thing.... NOTHING. or completely wreak the game. again. those who think that dx 11 faster and better than dx 9 - not its not. it all comes down to programming and as far as i know many fail at "bringing the best performance with astonishing graphics etc of dx11",

#36 Nightstriker

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

View Postxenoglyph, on 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Have you even looked or are you just spouting off? The game client makes -extensive- use of multithreading and utilizes all 4 of my cores equally. I'm not sure if you're familiar with software engineering at all, but deciding on a multithreaded approach is a major design decision that's made at the beginning.

He's referring to an optimization in DX11 where the API itself is multithreaded. This can be a large improvement in CPU bound areas.

Basically, your CPU is going to build a command buffer for your GPU (CPU translates draw calls into a series of GPU commands, then stored in memory). Your GPU can execute these draw calls at the same time that the CPU is issueing new ones. This means, however, if you are CPU bound, your GPU will be waiting for your CPU to issue new commands. DX11 allows all of your cores to allocate extra resources to building your buffer. In the end, DX11 can help alleviate CPU bottlenecks, in situations where your GPU is waiting on commands from your CPU.

It's difficult to give a straight answer to someone if they ask, "What runs better? DX9 or 11?" So to help, I'll explain to you all a few key differences :)

First, before getting into a few more technical aspects, I just want to say that there are MANY areas in DX11 which boost performance over DX9. However, there are also many areas of DX11 (many of which stem from DX10) that improve graphics (which, as most things that improve graphics, are detrimental to your framerates). In the end, whether DX11 will dip framerates, or increase them, is really up to what features the developers of the game you are playing decide to implement. Many developers try to go with a kind of balanced approach, squeezing the largest graphical increase out with the smallest hit to your FPS (that's actually overall what tessellation itself was meant to do, but I'll get to that).

I'm not going to get very technical here, but here's the gist of DX9 vs DX11 (11 also including what was added in 10)

Tessellation:
Surfaces in games are made up of polygons, that is, lots of little 2D shapes, making nice little wire frames. You can then imagine these wire frames are covered in fabric, making all of your textures. Imagine a flat surface, like a wall. It can be made with two giant triangles. But if you have something complicated, like a circle, you need MANY more than two triangles. If you don't, it's going to be very bumpy and ugly. To get around this problem in the past, developers use artists to make 2D things look 3D. Like a painting, the artist will make fake little shadows on the ground to look like rocks and such. Tessellation is a method of vastly increasing polygon counts, without hurting your framerates too much. Well... Compared to other methods, it doesn't hurt your framerate as much. Tessellation hardware is getting better though :)

Compute shading:
Simply put, the DX11 API allows for use of the video card for non-graphics tasks, similar to ATI Stream, Nvidia CUDA, OpenCL, and HLSL SM5.

Texture compression:
Textures in games have to be compressed, and the algorithms used for this hadn't been updated in a VERY long time. They are updated for DX11. Allows for more efficient compression, and higher quality textures.

These are some major changes, but there are many other minor ones, and many cool things you can do with DX11, like improvements to performance with AA enabled, DX11 shadows (DX10 made shadows soft, DX11 made them softer the farther away from objects they get), parallax occlusion mapping (adds depth, without any added polygons), displacement mapping (similar to tessellation), generally there are improvements to techniques used for motion blur, and depth of field, and things like particles and leaves can cast shadows on each other. There's probably more I can't think of at the moment, but most changes are really dependent on what a developer implements. Many of these graphical improvements can be difficult for a video card to render, which may lower your FPS. This does not mean DX11 is "slow" or "buggy" however.

Also, DX11 cannot be run on DX10, or DX9 hardware, due to hardware limitations.

I hope this helps :)

#37 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

Those having issues, have you tried turning off Ambient Occlusion? I know that was something discovered during CB after the graphics update to 3.4, but maybe you didn't try it?

Or am I completely off base here and I can turn it back on? Because last I heard AO was still a culprit for nVidia systems, even after the latest driver updates from nVidia.

#38 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I seriously don't understand why this engine is just terribly optimized.

SYSTEM: Radeon HD 5805
I5 760
6GB Ram
Windows 7 X64

I run any game on High at 1080p and maintain at least 40 fps including BF3 and Crysis 2 but this game I have to set it on 1680 x 1050 on medium/low just to get a weird fluctuation of 20 45 fps.

#39 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quasi related to the OP. Here is a nice piece on Frame rates and video settings?

http://www.tweakguid...Graphics_1.html

#40 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostHorrorizer, on 12 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

...and other games that i can switch from dx9 to 10/11 which arent buggy (human revolution), there is just no difference

The funny part about this is that there was one and in a game like that you were looking at it a LOT.

DX11 was used to tessellate and smooth the character models. Not much more. Visually DX11 brings a few things to the table but since everyone is only concerned with making 360 games in this world you don't see it in many places noticeably.

The UniEnge Haven demo was one of the most ineradicably obvious uses of it. The environment looked detailed with it on but had very little actual detail with tessellation off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users