21 replies to this topic

#21 Karel Spaten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHallam

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Postlincolnsmash, on 29 April 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Really, FATE is super-easy to hack, and there are some great resources and hacks already available online.

I've heard a lot of good things about FATE, I'd certainly consider picking it up to do something with. Aren't there a number of versions?

View PostAlphadeadone, on 29 April 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

I find this to be to much of an open question.
How long is a piece of string.

Open questions generate discussion, closed questions don't.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 30 April 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

I only owe the 2nd edition (never played though), but I saw that the Field Manuals include life paths for MW3. Can those lifepaths also be used with the 2nd edition?

I seem to remember that the Field Manuals contain material for whichever edition of the rpg was current when they were written. My versions of FM: Draconis Combine and FWL are both written for MW2 (I've also got the first edition of FM: Mercs, with MW2 stats, though I think the later editions/supplements are MW3). I don't see a straightforward MW2-3 conversion, but I imagine they'd provide a broad picture of the skills the package should give you.

#22 LincolnSmash

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostKarel Spaten, on 30 April 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

I've heard a lot of good things about FATE, I'd certainly consider picking it up to do something with. Aren't there a number of versions?

There are a number of variants, all which are sort of tweaked for their specific setting, but it's modular enough and the core simple enough you can use various bits and pieces to hack together the type of flavor you want.

For scifi, specifically, there's Starblazer Adventures (humongous book that's due to get a second edition this year) that does space opera, from Star Wars, to Trek, and I've even heard of it being used for Battletech. It's a big honking toolkit. There's a sleeker version, Diaspora, which is sort of a modern Traveller, but with a focus on harder scifi and on paying loads for ship maintenance and travel (think Serenity), so I'm not sure it's really suited to Battletech, although it has a really neat tactical warfare mini-game. There's a mech supplement in the works, but it's sort of in limbo atm.

The advantage of the above two versions over other iterations of FATE is that there is no default setting -- they're built so you can import or create your own within the broad setting the rules imply without having to file off fluff.

Edited by lincolnsmash, 30 April 2012 - 01:58 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users