Getting Pugs To Communicate And Strategize In-Game

25 replies to this topic

#21 EdgePain

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I've given up on PUG strategy. I just look at who is on our team and where they are going and can basically determine the outcome of the game from that (unless it's going to be a standoff). If we're gonna lose, I just go for the easiest kill or try to get the flow of mechs together to end the fight quicker. If we'll potentially win, I just hang back and pick off what I can or defend the base, even if I'm in a light.

My advice though is that if you are premade, the leader should hit the "take command" button and instruct the rest of the PUGers or premades. If you're not premade but you can type fast, you should also do the same thing. It will at least get them focused initially, but after that it tends to be a free-for-all.

The "stick together" mentality is what I call the "zebra" mentality, so I hate when people say it. You don't have the numbers to be a herd of zebras, and really all staying together does is lessen the chance you get killed first if you're slow or bad. All you're doing is clumping yourselves and that clump tends to move too far away from the base to defend it, and not fast enough to rush their base. Once you're "stuck together", rarely will anyone leave it to go back and base defend or rush when their base is open. Once that clump gets scouted, the other team can strategize around it, and it makes you an easy target for long rangers. It also allows for more FF, particularly when you've got a lot of trials.

*Note: Had a guy today on our team say something about "moving as a pack FTW" as our PUG got stomped... Before I could reply that wasn't the case, the match was over and it was all founders on their side plus one trial, and FIVE trials on my side. The point is that just because you see a team that sticks together and wins, it doesn't mean that that is what actually determined the win. Clearly superior firepower and speed will allow a coordinated team to push straight to an enemy's base FTW, or they could hang back and still win, or they could split up and still win...

Proper general strategy would be to keep your distance, stay in cover, surround the enemy where possible and focus fire. Take down over-extenders first, then finish off the rest. If no one over-extends, then it's an attrition/supression battle, you'll need to spread out and get flanks where possible. Another strategy is to rush their base if you think it won't be defended and everyone can keep fast pace, but it's hard to judge this and to convince everyone to do it. If they rush into you and have superior firepower/setups... then it was over to begin with.

As general setup, unless you're a max speed light or cicada, you should always have a long range weapon that you're capable with. Just being a brawler is useless in standoffs. Same goes for just being long range... you're useless if they get behind you or you get swarmed.

#22 Nebuzar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCentral USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I just love when you run into PUGs that run from the fight and leave the 1, 2 or 3 that will fight against the whole other team.

Just had this happen, i was on Forrest and the whole other team was coming through the cave, I announced it in team and all but me, and another centurian ran for the water.

Communication doesnt mean jack if your group is a bunch of pansies, or you're lucky enough to have the ones that dc right after match start just to get some free exp.

But when you do get lucky enough to get in a PUG that communicates and works together it usually turns out to be an enjoyable match, win or lose.

#23 Guard Bot

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Take command you get orange text and you can make pings on the map.

#24 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

/sigh, I wish it was easy. If no one has a plan , take command. If they all head off in different directions. stay near the base to defend, and if they all die in 30 seconds walk off the base area announce you are surrendering, and power down. Make sure your back is to a wall so they don't shot you in the back, this way if they start shooting you, you can at least power back up and get some payback. Personally if someone surrenders, and I see a team mate attacking them I will shoot the team mate.

Edited by Beo Vulf, 13 November 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#25 Mavorock

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDepends on the contract...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostMu, on 13 November 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

1. FOLLOW DA WARBOSS
2. WHO IZ DA WARBOSS?
3. DA WARBOSS IS DA BIGGEST! FOLLOW DA WARBOSS!
4. WAAAAAGH

You forgot #5
5. RED ONEZ GO FASTA!

It's funny because PUG's generally follow an Ork mentallity...

#26 DraigUK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationCardiff, Wales, UK

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

1. join game in Atlas
2. say "follow the big robot"
3. lead them where you wish them to go.

Most of them will follow you.
You don't actually want them all to follow you. (sometimes it happens like a lemming train though)
When you reach close to the enemy fire on the enemy you wish THEM to kill first.
The rest usually open up on same target.
Or at least one close by.
Reverse
Let them get on with it
Choose the target you really wished to kill
You will probably kill your target before the puggers kill theirs.
Assist them.
Hope for the best.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users