34 replies to this topic

#21 Goose Igaly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostRathe, on 13 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

At one point in closed beta it was 280. It has been 180 for the duration of open beta however. LRMs arm at 180. The only problem with staying that close is that if the enemy gets mad he can jump inside range an harrass the LRM boat. That's why the MPLs are so important. Basically, your pal's LRMs will force the enemy to come so close that he gets shredded by the other 2 guys 'and' your friends 4 MPLs.

That's very nice to know. Must have missed that memo.

Yeah, I run an ER Large Laser on each arm for that purpose, with two mediums in the chest. We've practice our "Victor" formation in the past (imagine a flock of Geese and that's us moving down the field) and have drifted from it. We're about to start emphasizing it again and will use this knowledge in working it. Thanks.

#22 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostSen, on 13 November 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

"There is no I in team, but there is an I in pie. . . "

and you're so busy trying to get your proverbial fingers in the K/D pie that you've abandoned your lancemate to my Jenner's tender minstrations.

I thank you, *MY* K/D rises.

Maybe it's not your buddy that should be swapping mecha?

Or, in a slightly more constructive and less arrogant way: as others have said, if you're so concerned about it, hang back and protect your cat so he can do his job. Even if one of you runs tag and the other runs light interference for him it should help survivability. Ultimately, however, K/D is like Music theory. it's a way for one person to act all superior towards another. Put away such thoughts of glory, and focus on the goal.

Posted Image

#23 Rathe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostGoose Igaly, on 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

That's very nice to know. Must have missed that memo.

Yeah, I run an ER Large Laser on each arm for that purpose, with two mediums in the chest. We've practice our "Victor" formation in the past (imagine a flock of Geese and that's us moving down the field) and have drifted from it. We're about to start emphasizing it again and will use this knowledge in working it. Thanks.

ew, ER lasers? 50% extra heat, no extra benefit (besides a tiny bit of range). The 3LL 2LRM15 atlas is pretty popular with my Merc Corp, as is 3 LL 1 gauss rifle. That build is amazing, high alpha, great range, fantastic heat management.

#24 Tarman

• 2,080 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostRathe, on 13 November 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

ew, ER lasers? 50% extra heat, no extra benefit (besides a tiny bit of range). The 3LL 2LRM15 atlas is pretty popular with my Merc Corp, as is 3 LL 1 gauss rifle. That build is amazing, high alpha, great range, fantastic heat management.

Yeah, I tend to agree that the ER part of the ERLL doesn't usually make up for the extra heat. They are good for hand-painting targets at long ranges though. Pop on thermals and draw a big glowing line across them when they're out of lock distance.

#25 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostGoose Igaly, on 13 November 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

So here's the deal. I'm running a K/D over 2.0. My main brawling buddy is rolling a 1.5ish. One of our members who usually runs a Cat with LRMs for support is running a dreadful 0.4 ish. He's a great team player and doesn't really care that his K/D is low and is more concerned about helping us burn our targets down. It's hard for any cat not toting balistics to snipe a kill from 2 Atlases at range.

So here's the delima: how to help him without getting ourselves destroyed. We've tried the two of us run out in our Atlases and mess some people up, tear armor away down to a red core, then scream bloody murder for our Cat buddy to get the kill as we kite the dude and hold his team mates at bay. Typically a light manages to run past and snipe the kill.

Now we're all cool with our stats. As brawlers, we expect to be high, and our LRM support expects to be pretty low, especially as he has only recently began modifying his loadout to allow for short range damage. But being able to help boost his K/D would certainly be nice. Anyone got any thoughts? Or is it a lost cause?

And please don't recommend another type mech. He likes his Cat and has no desire to change.

LRMS are horrible for killing blows so really you can't do much. Just appreciate your fire support and feed him cookies. LRM boats love cookies.

#26 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

If he does not wish to improve it and does not mind then it really does not matter.

That being said if you and/or your atlas friend equip a TAG for 1ton and bind it to all your weapon groups (or a macro I guess for those that use them) then you should increase his damage and kills a fair amount, if he is supporting you. ;)

Edit: Oh ye help him stay alive. Encourage him to scream for help when he first sees that Jenner! They are evil right now, they cannot be knocked over or stopped.

Edited by Wispsy, 13 November 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#27 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I've had excellent success as a support role 3-manning by using a mixture of TAG, MLs, LRM, and SRM. If he can watch his range, LRM brawling can be quite fun ;) and he would get more kills do to less wasted flight time and AMS suppression.

What Variant?

Mr 144

#28 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostGoose Igaly, on 13 November 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

So here's the deal. I'm running a K/D over 2.0. My main brawling buddy is rolling a 1.5ish. One of our members who usually runs a Cat with LRMs for support is running a dreadful 0.4 ish. He's a great team player and doesn't really care that his K/D is low and is more concerned about helping us burn our targets down. It's hard for any cat not toting balistics to snipe a kill from 2 Atlases at range.

So here's the delima: how to help him without getting ourselves destroyed. We've tried the two of us run out in our Atlases and mess some people up, tear armor away down to a red core, then scream bloody murder for our Cat buddy to get the kill as we kite the dude and hold his team mates at bay. Typically a light manages to run past and snipe the kill.

Now we're all cool with our stats. As brawlers, we expect to be high, and our LRM support expects to be pretty low, especially as he has only recently began modifying his loadout to allow for short range damage. But being able to help boost his K/D would certainly be nice. Anyone got any thoughts? Or is it a lost cause?

And please don't recommend another type mech. He likes his Cat and has no desire to change.

DON'T HELP HIM! HE IS PLAYING THE GAME THE WAY HE WANTS TOO! Play as a team and your friend will be a happy player, force him out of his comfort zone and you'll lose a good Fire Support player. Worry about how you play the game, let him get the assist tally he is looking for! We Fire Support Players are happiest help others stay alive to get kills.

#29 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would not worry about K/D. Cats are not for kills. I play one most of the time, and I do occasionally get kills.
Perhaps he needs a guide on aiming with missiles. I can be tricky to know what to look for if you are new to the game.
As long as he is having fun and is contributing to the team then there really is nothing to worry about.

#30 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Detail someone to stay back and protect your LRM boat. If it keeps dying often then no one is fending off the lights and fast mediums that often get back there. You can't do much about kills by opposing gauss cats. That's your friend the LRM pilot's issue to deal with.

#31 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

So much truth here.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 November 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

We Fire Support Players are happiest help others stay alive to get kills.

#32 Doomie77

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 123 posts
  • LocationModesto, Ca

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I want to see avg dmg per match stat.

Oh and cats get plenty of kills. There are a few effective k2 build that don't even involve gauss.

#33 Tarman

• 2,080 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostTaryys, on 13 November 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

So much truth here.

Indeed.

I play the game much more to fill a role than I do anything else. If I play support, I don't expect to be the kill-tally champ of the match, I'm too busy making sure my missiles count. I'd rather switch focus to something more critical than rain on something that's already crippled and surrounded. (YOU. ON THE HILL. BACK OFF AND STOP PINGING MY DOODS THEY ARE BUSY KILLING YOUR BUDDY) Scouting, same deal; my job is to find the targets for others to kill, and stab them in the burro when I get chances. I find all my glory in the satisfaction of fulfilling my place in the team. The game is developing in this area rather well imo, as everyone has a job to do out there and generally the tools to get it done.

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I would like to see assists tracked.

#35 Goose Igaly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Been having a lot of success with 2x SSRM, 1 Guass, 1 AMS, 2 ERLarge (Arms), and 2 Mediums (Chest). Gives me the ability to reach out and touch someone while still allowing all weapons to hit in melee range.

I'll certainly give the LRM15/LL build a go sometime.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users