BattleMech 9: Raven

714 replies to this topic

#601 Ralkir

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationThe spaceport bar

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Love it, love it, love it! I am not a fan of light mechs but I want to sneak around in this planting NARCs on targets.

Like a stealth bomber with legs

#602 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Well, I was really looking forward to the Raven, as it has always been my favorite. And on one hand I'm lucky that it's in the game. But on the other I'm considering to switch to the Jenner now.

I'm sorry, it doesn't fit my image of the Raven at all. It's certainly sufficient for everyone to realize what this 'mech is supposed to be, but at the same time not close enough to really pass. The cockpit is much too slim, looking more like an AC-10's nose (which I'm going to guess was the inspiration for the artists) than what I've grown to love.

Oh well. I'm sure there are lots of people who prefer this new look to the older (as mentioned in this thread), but I for one have to look for a substitute 'mech now as I find no appeal in these visuals. I guess it was kind of dangerous to focus so much on a single 'mech in the first place, especially when it wasn't even announced back then.

#603 Too Tall Kowalsky

• Pip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

I can appreciate the more utilitarian look. The old-school styling of all the 'Mechs will always have a place in my heart, but the amount of aircraft-style faring on some of the older artwork looks ridiculous to me now considering that these machines are built to pound pavement (or dirt, rather), not break the sound barrier.

#604 Pawn Couch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Its an X-wing with legs

#605 RM5292

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Love the new look!

#606 EitherWay

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMech Bay 12345543211525354554535251

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

lol i can see people now saying: so i heard you like Ravens

#607 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

<sits quietly waiting for the Fire Moth to appear>

#608 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

Raven had been my choice of Light Mech for very, very long time. I've been praying and waiting for Raven to be added into the MWO since the 1st of November 2011, but released art disappointed me :D. It still has the style of FD, but leaves impression that it was done in hurry, it has unfinished look, IMO. Those curved hips, ill-proportional foots, unbalanced weapon points disposition (I don't like original weapon scheme too) leave overall feeling of disproportionate design.
I know, that most part of forum users like current look, but maybe Alex I. and PGI team could post Raven's sketches (like ones for Atlas or Dragon)? Still hope to change my impression after seeing in-game Raven footage.

#609 Hideyuki Shinjii

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

This new design looks amazing! It has more of a tank look than previous versions. I always hated how goofy the old design was. In my experience this kind of mech has been sorely underutilized. Maybe with it looking better, more pilots will give it a try and discover how cool and important this machine can be.

#610 Too Tall Kowalsky

• Pip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostIxxxI, on 09 May 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

Raven had been my choice of Light Mech for very, very long time. I've been praying and waiting for Raven to be added into the MWO since the 1st of November 2011, but released art disappointed me B). It still has the style of FD, but leaves impression that it was done in hurry, it has unfinished look, IMO. Those curved hips, ill-proportional foots, unbalanced weapon points disposition (I don't like original weapon scheme too) leave overall feeling of disproportionate design.

Just keep in mind this is concept artwork, which generally is not meant to be the last word in something's design. It'd be pretty hard to not address odd proportioning once it makes it to 3D. :)

#611 Mica Black

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 72 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIronhold City, Ironhold, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Awesome... just awesome...

#612 Cadpig

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Still kind of preferred the MechAssault style Raven design, but I can't wait to pilot this one into battle!

#613 Capt Squishy

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPomona, CA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Nice me and my son were just discussing if this would be in the line up Glad to see that it is,

#614 King Of Turtles

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

I have a question, how the hell do you get into online gameplay? Please answere me and my friend thought this game looked cool.

#615 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostKing Of Turtles, on 12 May 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

I have a question, how the hell do you get into online gameplay? Please answere me and my friend thought this game looked cool.

If you find out, let me know too, please :blink:
To be earnest, the game isn't live yet, we're all waiting for the beta.
But I have to tell you it's impolite to come in a forum and derail a thread with questions you could answer yourself with only five minutes of reading i.e. this: http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

#616 Kantoken

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIn your closet, under your bed

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

Ah yes, the Raven, the 'uber-electronic counter measure on chicken legs'-mech. Speedy and oh so helpful with the Narc. I like the design, but must say I liked the former design better (rounder and more profound "beak").

#617 Spoon

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Love the raven.
But not a big fan of this redesign of it. I needs to be a bit rounder with more of a beak to it.

#618 GreatHarlequin

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hmmm... it's going to take a while to get to like the look of this chassis. :D

#619 Crunst VanHagen

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Now I realise, what it reminds me: a baby bushwacker XD. But still I think, thats looks cool.

#620 Gromkey Blackwind

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

this is my favorite scout class mech, I wonder how usefull it will be in battle just hidding.... YAY!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users