BattleMech 9: Raven

714 replies to this topic

#421 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Paul, you´re so contagious! You made FD troll us. :D

#422 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Now we know the devs are going to invest in the tech level 2 mechs... I would prefer if they took their time in tech level 1 for a while.

PS: For now on I shall call this mech "Angry Whippet". :D

#423 Gerath Tanden

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

The Raven is a pretty sweet mech. Always enjoyed the long range game, using ECMs stay hidden and hit-and-run until the assault mechs ran out of leg actuators. Also a great mech for playing the bait in an ambush. Good times. :D

#424 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

Davit rats like the mech. Like the way it is played. Think it is a Clan mech.

Something is very wrong here. :D

#425 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 April 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

McDoomswinger hated this place. His Awesome – The Shatterer - could barely get any firing angles. Everywhere he looked there were more hills. Far at the rear of his company, atop the highest hill, he scanned for easy targets ahead; his three PPCs gave him ample hitting power past 500 metres.

“There it is again. What the hell is that?” he whined into his mic. Something – it looked like an enemy target – was popping up on his radar, but it kept disappearing just as fast.

McDoomswinger thought he heard a dull thud against his hull, but had taken no damage. He ignored it and continued searching the horizon.

“There we are!" he whooped as the silhouette of a Dragon crested a distant hill. "Ha ha ha! Take this, suckers!” He triggered an alpha strike, firing all three PPCs at the Dragon. The enemy 'mech juked to avoid his shots, but was too busy to return fire. Cursing, he refocused his aim on the Dragon, slowing to a halt and planting his Awesome's feet for a better shot as his PPCs recharged.

"Got you now!" he squealed, just as a piercing warning beep cut through the chatter in McDoomswinger's headset and WARNING! INCOMING MISSILES! began flashing angry red on his HUD.

His eyes flickered between his radar and his view of the field as he searched for the source of the attack. "What? No one is near me! How the hell?"

The first wave of LRMS slammed into his Awesome, causing it to stumble as he tried to backpedal off the hill. More followed, falling like rain and shredding his armor, then tearing into his internal structure. Explosions blotted out the world as his 'mech buckled under the punishment. As one of the missiles bit into his reactor shielding, McDoomwinger had one final thought:

"This is bulls-!"

In the distance, a Raven poked its head over a hilltop, the pilot watching what was left of the Awesome topple.

"Roger that, Commander. Target down," she said with a small smile. She toggled the Raven's Active Probe back on, looking for her next victim. "We'll kick these Marik dogs off our world yet."

Fixed that for you. No, really.

#426 Alter Ego

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

Not sure if i like it, i liked the old one...well, this is that we got

#427 Bombolo

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGermany (Duisburg)

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm not really disappointed, the artwork is great but but it's not perfect.

I expected the chassis to have slightly other proportions and the snout could be more pointy and curved downwards, at least a little bit.

#428 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

I liked how the original Raven's nose looked like a bird's beak and the nose of a military jet combined. This Raven has thrown away that look. I don't like that. It's a cool looking mech for now I guess, but that style for the nose has taken away some of the raven's sleekness and it takes away from the overall look.

I would give the original Raven design an 8 out of 10 on the awesome scale and I would give THIS Raven a 7 out of 10.

Edited by MechRaccoon, 26 April 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#429 91stCataclysm

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Looks much better than the original IMHO. Now I won't be ashamed to pilot one >_>

#430 Volturnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationInternational Waters

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

I think it looks great, I'll have a tough choice choosing between the Commando and the Raven...

#431 Kreisel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

Nice. Glad to see this in here. Like the look, very stealth fighter streamline. Love the theme of the Mech, it's always been highly electronic/information warfare based. But more than that it's built for TEAMWORK in it's most basic designs.

In response to how people are saying the portrays assault pilots really poorly, McDoomswinger certainly sounds like a player grown bored with a lack of targets to shoot to me. Their will be plenty of players who are 'that guy.' And he doesn't ignore the sensor bleeps, he just isn't able to respond to them effectively. and as bad as this guys performance is, certainly a couple Heavy pilots come out looking pretty good. a Dragon dodging fire and one or two Catapults effectively staying hidden in good fire support positions, until they get an opportune moment to take advantage of a narc Beacon. (also salvo after salvo of missiles consistently striking the Awesome doesn't sound like a 'one shot' to me, it sounds like firing over and over again as rapidly as possible, and narcs tend to cause missiles to all hit around the same part of the mech more consistently than typical LRM fire). The Raven may have tagged the kill but in this scenario it's someone heavier who made the kill... heavy fire support who managed to get an assault kill without giving away their position, I don't see why people would see that as playing down the importance and skill of people in bigger mechs. It's about the team working together, the raven could not have done this alone.

Also as someone who really likes to pilot both the Raven and the Bushwacker (and is hoping the Bushwacker makes it in the game too) this Raven really does not look at all like a bushwacker to me, sure the chassis is elongated and kinda jetlike, and it's a chicken walker but the similarity ends there.

I like how the narrow body should present a smaller target profile to anything it's facing than the jenner. (if you get present your flank for getting shot up by a heavy in a light like this that your own fault. atleast it is if it has nearly the torso twist the raven has had in other games.) It fits well to distinguish their varied roles of the two mechs. That being said... I hope it's not like several of the Mechshit boxes ended up in MW4 where most of that all counts as center torso and you might as well not armor your side torso cause every shot always hits the center anyway.

Really glad the raven made it in, that being said, good thing there is plenty of time before release, because they really should get atleast 1 mech of each tonnage in before release. And whatever it is I hope the next light they put in is a 30 ton.

Edited by Kreisel, 26 April 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#432 Thejusttired

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

I need to get used to it...

Interesting... though the look makes me want to rename the mech to "FOX"...

#433 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Love it!

Great work, this is a new classic.

S!

#434 Little Fae

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWouldn't You Like To Know?

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

^^ Yes please! I'll take one of those.

Always loved the light class BattleMechs... Though I was always much more of a Cougar fan than a Raven. Can't tell what the timeperiod for the game is, but considering that the Federated Commonwealth is still in once piece, there's a decent chance that the Clans haven't brought us that just yet.

Edited by Autumn Bladerunner, 26 April 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#435 Elwood Blues

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

I like that it is a pretty compact design. The original was too. As long as it is a small target, I'm happy. From a light mech piloting perspective, the smaller the better.

#436 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Looks great!! Reminds me of a light armored jeep....

#437 Cutsman

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostTorrix, on 26 April 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

The Raven is niiiice :D Target designator? Even better hehe

It used a Narc. That's what the thud sound was even though he took no damage.

#438 Canas

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTulsa,ok

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

Glass Canon. And its as ugly as the raven always has been. they're are other mechs that could do this job better

#439 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostCanas, on 26 April 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

And its as ugly as the raven always has been.

I agree with the former, but disagree with latter.
This is far from ugly:

Posted Image

#440 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

This 'Mech is top shelf material in its own ways, sexy chicken legs! :D

With all these new 'Mechs on the roster I can't help but wonder if there will be an arena on Solaris VII for FFA (or even 2v2x8) style matches *cough against players*.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users