Casual Players

41 replies to this topic

#1 NapalmRat

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

I know this is constantly discussed but I feel this game is going to quickly lose a lot of casual players. It's very difficult for a player that wants to put in a few games after work, without coordinating a team or premade or being on TS3, to be able to effectively go into matchmaking and be efficient in combat. This is regardless of which mech, or how much was spent on the mech.
I say this only because during the week work limits me to 20-30 min of gaming and the majority of games are a wash. On weekends with nothing better to do and enough time to get together with some guys and get TS3 and the team coordinated it's hard to be beat.
I know the MM system is in a 3 phase overhaul, but I doubt it'll be enough.

#2 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

yeah. 30 min/day play time, sure hope you spend some real money, otherwise it is going to be a LONG grind. if you do not have a founders mech, i HIGHLY suggest purchacing yen lo wang mech. 30% CB bonus plus the XP you will not get with the trail mechs.

#3 00dlez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Once they implement a "challenge" system for premade teams to drop against one another, as well as the meta game aspects, a lot of the "strict coordination" will disappear from random drops and will level that playing field.

Besides that, a lot of casual players are also free forever players... PGI doesn't need to bend over backwards to cater to them,

#4 SirriusLee

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCanis Major

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

30 min. is only 2 games.This game has a high learning curve if u have never played a mechwarrior game.I ve played most of the older mech games so I was familiar with the game.It still took me about 70 games before I registered my 1st kill.I dont have teamspeak and I dont play on a team(however, I eventually do want to play on a team).This game requires some skill to play, not like a lot of othergames out today.But if u like the game, and u keep coming back, I m sure your skill level will improve, and u will really enjoy this game.The value of something is directly proportional to the amount of work u have to do to aquire that thing.

#5 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

View Post00dlez, on 14 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Besides that, a lot of casual players are also free forever players... PGI doesn't need to bend over backwards to cater to them,

Not bend over to the freeplayers but they should make it so that these free players actually hang around for a while, because eventually they'll spend money, some more, some less, some none - but the game will not survive if you don't give them reasons to stay, which would be in the interest of the founders as well.

#6 00dlez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostTaizan, on 14 November 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

so that these free players actually hang around for a while, because eventually they'll spend money,

Really? you honestly think that?

Look at TF2 after it went free to play... How many of those players do you think spend a dime on TF2 items? There's even less incentive to do so in MWO, as items (mechs) aren't super rare or hard to achieve, Any novice pilot can achieve an atlas in relatively short time without paying. IN TF2 however, you could play for months... or a year... and still not get what you want without paying.

#7 Mildmanor

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am the same way i have very limited time. after a week of tolerating being killed all the time i finally started looking at house units. you can find them further down in the forums. Most use teamspeak, while its nice for you to talk, im sure they will play with you even if you dont.

I belong to House Liao we can be found at www.houseliao.com you can also find us further down in the fourms under the house discussion area.

Come look us up we are always willing to help and we have alot of fun together in drops

The one thing about all the houses you will find is there are friendly players who were once new and want to help you succeeed to keep you in the game and become part of a family and team, even if its only for 20 or 30 mins a night.

#8 Dictatorfish

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

While I'm not convinced MWO is really the game for me (nothing wrong with the game, it's just not to my personal taste), as a casual player I haven't had any problems what so ever. At the moment, the key is to do what several people here have mentioned: the join one of the many open MWO groups or TeamSpeak channels, find a group of fellow casual players like yourself (this literally takes a few seconds) and play a few games together.

Once PGI get in-game VOIP sorted out I feel this is likely to make these semi-PUG/semi-premade groups easier to arrange and make the game far more accessible to the wider audience.

#9 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

I agree that this game does have a high learning curve for new players. I also have been playing Mechwarrior for a long time and the only thing I had to get used to was using the mouse and keyboard to control my mech. As for not being efficient, I also only play a few games a week and average 2-3 kills per match. What I see in pugs is a lack of focus firing. When I play, if I see a teammate hammering away on an enemy, I'll join in and focus fire on that target rather than look for my own. I see many pug players look for their own target rather than work over one with a teammate. If you go looking for your own target and attempt to 1v1 your chances of survival are 50/50. Whereas if you focus fire on a target that a teammate is working on you increase both your survival and theirs. Too many pug players seem to do this so that they can get the kill. Kills don't matter, winning the match is more important and will net you more c-bills.

#10 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

View Post00dlez, on 14 November 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Really? you honestly think that?

I don't think that, its the basic principle of the F2P model in several successful games, how else do you think they survive if no one would eventually pay.

Even in TF2 there are enough people buying stuff that make Valve see it as viable income stream to sell virtual vanity items. I agree with the current lack of incentive except for hangar space, premium time and hero mechs (and soon to come camo).

Edited by Taizan, 15 November 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#11 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

there is a saying, "If you don't pay for the product, you are the product." and that is exactly how f2p works. You need a big player base for your 10% paying customers because these don't won't to play alone.

On top of that, every free player that get teased enough buy the game will possibly drop a coin or two.
And that's why you have to make the early game content as interesting and thrilling as possible.

(get stomped to scrap metal isn't soo thrilling as it may sound)

#12 Ewigan

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

well, i am a F2P player. i mostly only do a few matches every few days.
i do not play in teams, i do not use Teamspeak right now.

and you know what? i still have loads of fun! yes, my KD ration sucks, but that is mainly cause i just love piloting my commandos :rolleyes:

#13 Famhair

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostMildmanor, on 14 November 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I am the same way i have very limited time. after a week of tolerating being killed all the time i finally started looking at house units. you can find them further down in the forums.

As a casual player, I can tell a MASSIVE difference when I get a random drop with a 4-6 mech team. In one drop they softened up an Atlas so I could take it out with my Commando just for giggles. I've never lost in one of these matches. I will certainly be seeking out teams that play in the 7:00a-8:00a, 11:30a-12:30p, and 5:00p-6:00p CST (GMT -6) time slots.

#14 NapalmRat

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'm not saying MWO online isn't great, i'm just saying i believe it'll lose a lot of clientele unless they make stock/trial mechs more effective. People are going to download the game, jump in the cockpit of a 70 ton monster, and expect to do some massive carnage and instead are going to be eliminated like they're driving around a schoolbus on the battlefield.
Maybe for the sake of the casual player they could allow a starter kit in your garage. Pick one of the mechs, some weapons, an engine, etc for free customization. This mech will always be free and will work as a trial mech but it'll be your custom mech set up with the better than stock weapons and you'll be able to move around heat sinks/jump jets/weapons how you see fit. Now if you want to improve this mech, say the best engine available in the starter pack was a 260 and now you want a 280 or whatever, you have to buy that on your own.

#15 Fox Fire

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Since I'm rather new and have played Mech Warrior since the old Dos game, I'm just thrilled to be here. I would like to know where MWO is going with the game play. Will it stay a pvp arena type missions or will there be a chance for 3-5 players to fight against the computer like one of the Single player MW3&4 games? With time being a factor in everyone's life, players cant expect to be here all the time. Rat I can relate to where' you're coming from but I'm also sure MWO will not change to the point that players with very limited time can't have their fair share.

#16 Aedensin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 337 posts
  • LocationN.C. United States

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Post00dlez, on 14 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've played F2P games with this mentality, they are generally full of "Get the ___ out" Elitists. Games like that tend to become stagnant very quickly. If you don't cater to the free crowd at least a little in your F2P game then you're doing something very wrong.

Edited by Aedensin, 15 November 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#17 Azariah

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I want to play this game more, and get that premium, but how can i as i can't buy the packs any more? (unless i missed it)

#18 Vosje

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostNapalmRat, on 15 November 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

I'm not saying MWO online isn't great, i'm just saying i believe it'll lose a lot of clientele unless they make stock/trial mechs more effective. People are going to download the game, jump in the cockpit of a 70 ton monster, and expect to do some massive carnage and instead are going to be eliminated like they're driving around a schoolbus on the battlefield.

I just visualized your last remark and got some great ideas for a completely new scenario ;)

Humor aside: I agree with your first line as well, but not your proposed solution. Building a mech or renting a mech are thing that are separated and most likely remain to be the incentive to get a few round under your belt, before making costly purchases (And I mean C-bills here).

I have the same time-problem you have and had the luck that they had a decent stock Jenner and later a decent stock Cicada to do trial runs. They were nowhere near optimal, but I got a good feeling of what i liked and what not.
Most of the trial mechs (like the atlas) overheated before I got a feel for it, which was rather unpleasant and from what I hear a lot of others are the same.
So I would say: Make the trial mechs more starter-friendly: Yes, but give everyone a starter kit: Not likely.

#19 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Make money on casual players buy putting advertising banners on the launch screen. Make them scroll down for the ISN announcements. Keep them around by implementimng simplified controls (I have seen this point on the forums before). Not everyone WANTS the super advanced controls of legs independent from torso and 3 weapons groups. (I know, crazy right?) I am a Mech pilot of old and want all my over the top mech complexity, but if that is ALL there is, MWO will be destined to a small cult following. As hardcore mech pilots, we need to make small sacrifices to get the general population to pap and play. Otherwise, no advencements in mechs, no sequels or expansions, and for that matter.... no noobs to shoot at!

#20 AtomicFrawg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 173 posts
  • LocationLafayette, La

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostNapalmRat, on 14 November 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

I know this is constantly discussed but I feel this game is going to quickly lose a lot of casual players. It's very difficult for a player that wants to put in a few games after work, without coordinating a team or premade or being on TS3, to be able to effectively go into matchmaking and be efficient in combat. This is regardless of which mech, or how much was spent on the mech.
I say this only because during the week work limits me to 20-30 min of gaming and the majority of games are a wash. On weekends with nothing better to do and enough time to get together with some guys and get TS3 and the team coordinated it's hard to be beat.
I know the MM system is in a 3 phase overhaul, but I doubt it'll be enough.

Soooooo, you want PGI to change the way the game is played because you cant put more than 20-30 mins a day during the week on their game? Just play on the weekends, problem solved.

And I get what you are saying about casual players, but your allowed time, during the week, puts you in the category of the casual Farm ville/ cafe ville player. Not being rude or anything, but come back into reality and realize not everyone has the same issue you do.

I would say you are only able to get, what maybe 2-3 matches in? That's not real worth playing this game at all during the week. Again play on on the weekend only.

It seems the real issue is that you like the game but you can't play as much as you would like. Family, Food, Work, Bill, then video games. If you don't have the time for the last one, its best to move on.

Edited by AtomicFrawg, 16 November 2012 - 06:57 AM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users