15 replies to this topic

#1 Waffles 2pt0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Dearest PGI game designers and executives,

My name is S. Morgenstern. For most of my life, we're talking decades, my love of Sci-Fi has consisted of and has been shaped by the greats of futuristic storytelling. Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Buck Rogers, Battletech, Battlestar Galactica (original series), Mechwarrior, Flash Gordon, Firefly, Farscape, and Logan's Run. I have followed these stories throughout all of their incarnations. Some better than others. Most truly great. Alas, I think I do not yet fall into the category of über fanboy, though I endeavour to achieve such status whole heartedly. I share this to impress upon you how devoted, to what you folks do, I am.

This is my humble request to implement a way of allowing mechs to surpass the recently imposed max engine size limit. If this is accomplished through hours of grinding to unlock some achievement that allows me to equip a larger and faster engine in my Hunchback, then please. If this is accomplished through hours of grinding to earn enough c-bills to pay the special larger-engine-than-the-limit-allows fee, then please. If this is accomplished through MC expenditure, then please. If the only way feasible is to combine all three previous methods, then please. Pretty please. Pretty please with a Mammoth Dropship shaped cherry on top.

Very respectfully yours,
S.

#2 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

NO! it would only make base capping worse its bad enough now a light can reach your base in under 30 seconds from start what do you want to get to the other base in 5 seconds now?

#3 Waffles 2pt0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

B.uyable
U.rban
M.echs
P.lease

#4 Sevaradan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

No.

#5 Comassion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostS Morgenstern, on 14 November 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

This is my humble request to implement a way of allowing mechs to surpass the recently imposed max engine size limit.

I quite like the varying characteristics the engine size limits give to 'mechs. What I'd love to see beyond that is variable armor limits, so we literally get faster, more lightly armored chassis and heavier, more durable chassis.

#6 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

I remember the days of the 220 kph Commando.

Bad idea.

#7 Clay Pigeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Netcode/latency interp need to be improved before the caps can be lifted.

But the caps do need to be lifted otherwise the spider and flea are going to be useless.

#8 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I hope they get it sorted in time for the (canon) 216kph Fire Moth

#9 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

My humble request is to not consider this guys humble request.

The mech engine limitation is probably one of the best calls they made with respect to balancing between the different weight classes. Light mechs need their speed advantage to remain useful on the field of battle. Hunchbacks running around at over 110 kph was silly back when it was allowed early in the closed beta and I applaud their resolution to the issue.

I am a Centurion pilot who runs around at the 90kph limit and I approve this message.

#10 Waffles 2pt0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostComassion, on 16 November 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

I quite like the varying characteristics the engine size limits give to 'mechs. What I'd love to see beyond that is variable armor limits, so we literally get faster, more lightly armored chassis and heavier, more durable chassis.

This would add some pretty cool bits of additional customization. Squeeking out that extra 5-10 kph could be very advantageous.

#11 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure what makes this humble... other than you are asking and not demanding. ;P

#12 Neovalen

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I do think the Engine limits need another look. The catapult (heavy) should NOT be outrunning/matching my max engine hunchback (medium). Other than that though I think the engines are fairly good right now.

#13 Khavi Vetali

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 277 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Any hunchback variant can already hit 90 KPH with a 260 engine and speed tweak. It is fast enough. If you want a faster mech, use a different chassis.

#14 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

This feature is already in place. In the form of Yen Lo Wang.

Eventually there will be an MC mech to circumnavigate many of the limits people don't like. Like engine sizes, hardpoints, maybe even modified hitboxes (up armored Veritechs anyone?).

Be patient my son, and wait for the cash wringer to begin separating you from your money.

#15 Waffles 2pt0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostVermaxx, on 16 November 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Be patient my son, and wait for the cash wringer to begin separating you from your money.

Oh good. every once in a while those pesky surplus pennies can get under foot. :)

#16 Anubis6

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think your onto something here, Make it a module that lets you equipment an engine SLIGHTLY larger than normal (say 10-20 Engine ratings). That way it lets the speed freaks get a little boost but not enough to be broken.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users