Huginn and Muninn?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

So who's planning on piloting a Raven with the above motif?

Bonus points for naming your lance 'Odin's Spies,' 'Wotan's Wings,' or any other variation on the theme.

#2 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Had thought about using the callsign 'Raven' for a Light 'Mech or Lance, with command being callsign 'Odin' and the striker lance callsign 'Wolf'. And H&S lance callsign 'Spear'.

Edited by Haakon Valravn, 25 April 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#3 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostRamien, on 25 April 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Bonus points for naming your lance 'Odin's Spies,' 'Wotan's Wings,' or any other variation on the theme.

haha, that would be an awesome scout lance :rolleyes:
There's no Odin mech but theirs apparently a clan "scout tank" called Odin, it would fit into the scout lance at least...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Odin

#4 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostWatchit, on 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

haha, that would be an awesome scout lance :rolleyes:
There's no Odin mech but theirs apparently a clan "scout tank" called Odin, it would fit into the scout lance at least...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Odin

Well, to support the scouts, I was thinking either capture a few Loki and/or Thor when the Clans arrive, or make a custom Cyclops Variant - Odin only had one eye, after all.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostRamien, on 25 April 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Evidently Huginn is out.

#6 Klappspaten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

The question is, will we get a muninn?
And if yes, will it be another Raven?

#7 Lockgor

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I've actually named my two Shadowhawks after Huginn and Muninn; and I hope that the new raven hero doesn't cause any confusion for me going forward. Especially if a raven Munnin hero comes out. Perhapes its time to think of a new pair of names...

#8 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Well my 3L is named Huginn and my Spider 5D is Muninn (also for the record my Jenner F is Hati and D is Skoll while my Ember is Garm). Like I said in another topic, I will not get the hero. However if Muninn comes with energy hardpoints (I'm pretty sure it has JJs also), my Spider will be looking for another name!

#9 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostLockgor, on 01 April 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

I've actually named my two Shadowhawks after Huginn and Muninn; and I hope that the new raven hero doesn't cause any confusion for me going forward. Especially if a raven Munnin hero comes out. Perhapes its time to think of a new pair of names...

For a new pair of names, how about "Agrius" & "Oreius"? :o

The gigantic bear twins Agrius and Oreius were cannibals and disrespectful towards gods and humans. Zeus ordered Hermes to punish the two in whatever way the latter pleased. Hermes at first decided to dismember them, but Ares did not want this to happen to his grandsons. Instead, Hermes and Ares turned the twins into carnivorous birds where Agrius was turned into a vulture and Orius was turned into an eagle owl.

The story of Agrius & Oreius (and their mother Polyphonte, who was also turned into an owl by Hermes and Ares) serves as part of the basis for the story of the strix ("...birds of ill omen that fed on human flesh and blood..." that, since the Middle Ages, have come to have a certain level of association with vampires).

#10 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I'm really curious as to what mech they'll make the Muninn, if they make it at all. Does anyone think they'll make it a light, or perhaps another chassis like a medium? My hope is that they'll release a new light all together with the Munnin as it's hero. Anyone care to speculate as to what mech it would/should be?

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 April 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

For a new pair of names, how about "Agrius" & "Oreius"? :blink:

The story of Agrius & Oreius (and their mother Polyphonte, who was also turned into an owl by Hermes and Ares) serves as part of the basis for the story of the strix ("...birds of ill omen that fed on human flesh and blood..." that, since the Middle Ages, have come to have a certain level of association with vampires).

That's quite a fitting story :)

#11 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

Maybe it will be the Vindicator Hero

#12 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Perhaps a Whitworth or Wolf Trap hero?

Edited by Tabu 73, 23 April 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#13 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

As far as I know Russ Bullock has said on twitter that the next Medium Mech would be a Vindicator.

#14 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:45 AM

I was pretty happy with myself when they released the Huginn.

I already had two Ravens Named Huginn and Muninn :(

got there first PGI!! :ph34r:

#15 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Perhaps the Munnin will be the Vindicator AA since the Capellans "gifted" a bunch of those to the FRR.

Edited by Tabu 73, 25 April 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#16 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostTabu 73, on 25 April 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Perhaps the Munnin will be the Vindicator AA since the Capellans "gifted" a bunch of those to the FRR.

I would buy that ^^

#17 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Me too :P

Waiting for the Huginn to go on sale and then *swipe* - mine!

#18 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I found the Huginn mech, and the whole Huginn and Muninn thing rather ironic. You see, for a very long time, since Ravens came out in late 2012, I have had them. My 4x was Huginn, my 2x was Muninn and my 3L was just called "Odin's". Yes, Odin's with the possessive apostrophe "s". The 3L was just that good for a long time, so it was a deserved name. It was the carrion scavenger of the battlefield, and it did not matter that it couldn't actually fly...that was what my AC20 4x was for... though often it was a uac5, 2med laser 4x... or a ac10, 2 medium laser 4x... point is the other ravens were "also ran's".

After many 3L nerfs it's no longer what it once was, but the improvement of engine sizes really didn't help the 2x and 4x all that much. But I guess all that was really needed was to make them mediocre, more viable and it did that somewhat.

Piloting the Huginn in the Public Test server I got a good exposure to it. I find it has two fairly annoying things in common with the Oxide. One is that utterly eliminating energy from the build has really been a disservice. Not because it lowers fire power, but because it makes the weapons it does have less effective than when used in any other mech. I am specifically referring to the use of TAG. Because TAG was made energy slot dependent way back, when they make the "flavor" decision to remove all energy from a mech like the Oxide, or the Huginn, I think they really are not recognizing that they are in some ways also watering down the very UNIQUE features they are adding and using to justify the removal as "payment" for this uniqueness.

So for the Oxide for example, not denying that if you do specifically the 4x streak ssrm2 you can be effective in putting out raw damage in numbers, especially if you devote tonnage to having enough ammo. However, a streak mech with even ONE energy slot open, taking TAG is much more powerful than even if that mech took an extra medium laser. The streaks, all four in the case of the Oxide, now have far better tracking when ECM comes on the scene, something the BAP will only help with in the case of one enemy mech sporting it. So a kintaro, or a shadowhawk with 4 missile slots can run the 4x streak srm2 and know that they are effective and thier BAP will help, but if double teamed, they still can be effective using that TAG to cut ecm.

The Oxide, none of that. Reliant on the BAP, soon as two ecm mechs are around, not uncommon when they've a DDC plus some lights, well that fellow is out of luck. Sure, he can move away from the DDC, so that its' one on one vs. an ECM light, but that ecm light on the enemy team often knows this. It's deliberate that he's stacking ecm vs. BAP and he intends to force said OXIDE to have to deal with him and the ATLAS, completely shutting down any ability to fight on the Oxide's part. Very often the Oxide also falls to this happening with the very frequent pairs or even 4 mans of light ecm carrying mechs. I still see 2 raven 3L, and 2 spider 5d lances these days.

Sometimes it's split between groups, premades mind you, but it only makes sense to hunt streak mechs with two ecms. Likewise to hunt light mechs with 2+ ecms so you can effectively counter. Hence we see these as light hunter lances. And an Oxide is toast. But this about the Huginn, right? Well yes, I explained the Oxide, because like the Oxide, the Huginn's paying for extra missile and extra ballistic by losing all energy hard points. This has the same disproportionate weakening effect on those supposedly special extra missile slots. First off, like the Oxide, if you run streaks, your inability to mount TAG shuts you out of seriously pursing that load out. 2 streaks CAN be effective, but not if you can't guarantee those weapons can always fire, by having TAG+BAP. That leaves the ballistic that the Huginn gets in reward for sacrificing those delectable energy hardpoints. More dakka, right? Nawt.

4 machine guns on arms are again forcing you to face the enemies. So you paid the price of your energy slots to be able to mount two extra ballistics - so now you have to use Machine guns in close facing on your opponent. So this precludes LRMS and leaves you open to your CT being cored, or your cockpit focused as there is literally no way to use machine guns without a "staredown", even if it's a circling staredown of death. So the loss of energy hardpoints has dictated less variety in the mech, less effectiveness and dictated what missile weapons need be used as well. Short Range Missiles are about the only sane option there and the recent speed increases in Srm 2 & 4 might be promising for the Huginn and the Oxide both, but it still comes down to the price being paid in the "balancing scales" for these mechs was out of line with the advantage gained. This may keep them from being "pay to win" but it also keeps them being anything other than masochistic endeavours demonstrating that you really are a good pilot.

I really think TAG should be a piece of equipment not necessitating an energy hard point. It would serve to mitigate some of this inequity, unfairness, without forcing the devs to add in single energy hardpoints on these mechs, which they are evidently not willing to do.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 25 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#19 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Really? All that text to basically say nothing that hasn´t been said a hundreth times already?

#20 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yup, and I'll say it a hundred times more if I care to, with or without a german or french regional accent, done poorly of course while catering to a number of shallow and pointless stereotypes that I don't resemble, just to sound silly. I'm sorry if you are sad of seeing people comment on subjects you already have had your final word on, but it's the nature of things. People will comment and they will say things you feel you and others have already said. It doesn't make you any cooler to point out that another person said it in a way, or with details that you personally felt were excessive because you already know. Doesn't make one cooler to say one said it first either... haven't you heard? There's nothing new in the world today. Ever.

I

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users