Mechs, Devs, & Beer #2!

48 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

The second Mechs, Devs, & Beer is up, and it features our very own Russ Bullock! So don't wait on ceremony, go check it out now!

#2 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

The addition of 3rd person is pretty surprising...

:)

#3 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

i guess after listening to it, i'm not able to give a vote of confidence... if all you want is positive feedback, feel free to censor/delete my opinion. the training things that anyone playing for more than an hour insists are missing are (imo) blown off entirely with a lot of excuses... but he spend several minutes justifying 3rd with less than convincing manner... reminds me of cots (commercial, off the shelf) software salesmen (and women)... and the habit of redirecting attention. considering what last tuesday was here in the states, it reminds me of another professional class... and that should not be taken positively.

#4 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 14 November 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

The addition of 3rd person is pretty surprising... ;)

You have got to be kidding me??? They are adding 3rd person?? Even though something like 90% of the community is against it? :)

#5 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I smell the distinct smell of: FINANCIAL ERROR on the scale of what happened in 2007-2008. nearly 91% are opposed to this idea. PAUL INOYUE HIMSELF stated NO 3rd PERSON VIEW. Do not backtrack or lie to us guys, please do not do this to us.

#6 RawheadRex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Frozen Tundra

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

I have posted very little in these forums.
I have allways posted positive comments about the game :)
The addition of 3RD person has just about done it for me though ;)

This female pilot just might have to take the long walk.

#7 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

1500+ players are voting NO to this. God help us if they ignore us on this, because its gonna be a disaster.

#8 stVillain

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

3rd person camera!

honestly, everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.
there are so many huge detractors that come along with moving the camera to 3rd person.
I'm not worried at all about it.
- 1st person is a much better perspective for aiming accurately. (if you can't aim down armor on a single location in MWO your doing it wrong)
- 2nd Any close in brawling, like face front brawling, will be so unbelievably one sided. Just watch as the 1st person perspective camera pilot core out the 3rd person. all the third person will be able to see is that his mech silhouette blocks out any clear view of the opposing mech.

and in return what does the 3rd person perspective mech gain? he gains better situational awareness about what direction his mech is travelling in comparison to his torso twist.

really....
really...

that anyone is worried about the OPness / unfairness / dumbing downess of Mechwarrior. because of a feature that any player after they learn how to twist and move will ever use again is ridiculous.

I very much believe it when Russ bullock says this is purely a feature to help people learn to play mechwarrior. And if your not for a larger player base for this game... then your doing it wrong.

Edited by stVillain, 14 November 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#9 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PoststVillain, on 14 November 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

3rd person camera!

honestly, everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.
there are so many huge detractors that come along with moving the camera to 3rd person.
I'm not worried at all about it.
- 1st person is a much better perspective for aiming accurately. (if you can't aim down armor on a single location in MWO your doing it wrong)
- 2nd Any close in brawling, like face front brawling, will be so unbelievably one sided. Just watch as the 1st person perspective camera pilot core out the 3rd person. all the third person will be able to see is that his mech silhouette blocks out any clear view of the opposing mech.

and in return what does the 3rd person perspective mech gain? he gains better situational awareness about what direction his mech is travelling in comparison to his torso twist.

really....
really...

that anyone is worried about the OPness / unfairness / dumbing downess of Mechwarrior. because of a feature that any player after they learn how to twist and move will ever use it again is ridiculous.

I very much believe it when Russ bullock says this is purely a feature to help people learn to play mechwarrior. And if your not for a larger player base for this game... then your doing it wrong.

we are NOT blowing this out of proportion. Why? Paul Inoyue Lead designer stated clearly: NO THIRD PERSON CAMERA/VIEW. Now they try this BS? We are reacting proportionately. This is a game breaker, player losing idea. that simple

#10 stVillain

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 14 November 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

we are NOT blowing this out of proportion. Why? Paul Inoyue Lead designer stated clearly: NO THIRD PERSON CAMERA/VIEW. Now they try this BS? We are reacting proportionately. This is a game breaker, player losing idea. that simple

EXCEPT that nobody, ever, has stopped playing because of these supposed "game breaker, player losing" ideas....

Russ even said so on the podcast. (he can see your playing statistics / forum posts)
and Devs from a million other MMOs have said the exact same thing.

so when they do introduce third person / if they do introduce third person... i doubt their active user base will even bat an eyelash.

so yes everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.

Edited by stVillain, 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#11 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

dude, considering more than 1500 of us are saying: NO and only like 76 are saying YES. do you think they will make the mistake of angering a huge contingent of players?

#12 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

those are PAULS OWN WORDS.

#13 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Some of us did get a refund. I voted with my wallet a while back when they abandoned 'nothing you buy that can only be obtained with cash will affect combat'.

#14 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Why not allow 3rd person view for spectators only & keep in-play to 1st person view only ?
everyone loves spectator view & using 3rd person view for this application instead of for someone piloting a mech would be awesome.
You could then leverage the 3rd person view for the interactive tutorials like MW2/3/4 had (to help all those noobs with their torso control) - hehh
You could also leverage it for possibly future options
Ex-1: have 1 player of each team assume commander & manage the battlefield with 3rd person view option instead of just the big battlemap but, they can't be in a mech themselves.
So once you're the team leader you can use 3rd person but, the trade-off is you can't pilot a mech during the match.

Ex-2: possible future Mech option to launch drones & could use limited 3rd person view from each drones perspective
You could control/move the drones around the battlefield from your mech but drones can't have weapons & they can be shot down for points & could be sensor jammed by other mechs running a jamming module. - see the options you can do here

I have suggested elsewhere to expand on the Spectator view for non-players to watch/monitor live matches like the old BT Center days - Make a non-player Spectator view web page as part of the MWO site - to let potential new players/subscribers get to watch live matches from 3rd person view & take in the whole expierience
This helps the devs towards getting things set up for future Tournament support
(having live 3rd person spectator view & commentary) - would love to have regular LAN parties set up with a solid lance

To the devs - Thank you for bringing this IP back to the masses, I am & will continue to support this with my hard-earned money

#15 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

why can they NOT do this? paul, you once said something, what was it? Oh right:

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

thats why.

#16 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 14 November 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

why can they NOT do this? paul, you once said something, what was it? Oh right:

-Paul
Lead Designer

thats why.

And where is your problem? We don't get it in the "near future".

As long as we have 1st person in the real battles all is fine - who cares for training matches? Btw, I'd like to see my mech with custom skin in the 3rd person view.
There is NO reason to panic like headless chickens.

#17 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

-Paul
Lead Designer

the problem is, lead designer says No. Russ says yes. PGI looks the part of a LIAR.
gives us reason to panic. Also, if its training, who gives two sh*ts if we have third person, but, in a live, ranked match, its an absolute NO GO idea.

#18 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Instead of posting a quote from Paul for sheer spite as an argument & ******* off the devs at the same time so that they're not motivated to help makes things better, try offering an alternative solution/suggestion or different perspective that the collective here may not have thought of - as I did a few minutes ago. Give them something they can work with.
It's easy to criticize other people's work but, I didn't see you pulling any long hours trying to make this game in the 1st place let alone any improvements. People will always respond better to positive criticism (more flies w/honey) but, if you're one of those that just wants to be an arm-chair coach & throw bricks at the TV then please stay out of the game & let us that appriciate that fact that MW is back at all (& a way better re-boot than Duke Nukem's come-back) ...enjoy the expierience.

#19 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Mul, I quote Paul for truth, and desperation that this mistake can be stopped. Easy way around this, is to take a page from Mechwarrior 2, Wire Frame Mech instead of a static display of your mech, that way you can see direction of travel, and over all health of mech. Shows no other mechs, so no visual advantage is given, but still lets you see which way the legs are headed. simple, effective, and the SMART move.

#20 Mul T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

See now that's a good point Rej - I know I would've been more receptive to hearing that instead of You said this, on this date & now you're a liar - no one would respond to that & technically there is no 3rd person view in-game currently
it's just a discussion & they're testing/playing/exploring possibilities with it but it has not effected anyone yet
(just a potential threat - hehh)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users