970 replies to this topic

#41 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 27 April 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Ok, all spelling aside this is gonna be moved to............................

I have NO idea!!! There isn't actually a forum for Lone Wolf players but it doesn't belong here.

Garth!!!!!!! Attack!

Those that fight for money , right ??

#42 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

The debate itself shows that there is a distraction over the name of the site itself which, even though its technically correct, dissuades people from registering. I recommend changing the name to something that isnt a distraction. Marketing and branding is *all* about comfort and name cognition. You dont want to be known for the odd name of Wolfs even though its correct. Correct has no bearing in this case otherwise this debate will never stop.

Something like The Lair of Wolves or Wolf Space.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 27 April 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#43 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Isn't it something about proper nouns pluralising singular entities?

IE. Toronto Maple Leafs, not Maple Leaves.

Basically, everyone in the group is a wolf, and though they are all being grouped together by virtue of what they are, they are not, in fact, a distinct group of 'wolves'; they are wolfs. This is the 'herd of mavericks' school of English.

View PostMotionless, on 27 April 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Loan wolf is not a proper noun. It would be common noun. Supposedly Maple Leaf is a proper noun because it refers specifically to the symbol of Canada, the leaf on the flag and not just any maple leaf -- if it did then it would also be a common noun.

I suppose anything can be made a proper noun even if it's not originally a proper noun. If someone claims to be a Lone Wolf under the banner of a Lone Wolf then it becomes proper, even though the original term for it wasn't a proper noun. In this respect, I'll have to take back what I said and defer to Garth, because I cannot disagree.

But only under the restriction that "Lone Wolfs" is correct, but "lone wolfs" is incorrect - it must always be capitalised.

Inouye-sama is reading this thread! Arggh!

*Abandon thread*

View PostMason Grimm, on 27 April 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Ok, all spelling aside this is gonna be moved to............................

I have NO idea!!! There isn't actually a forum for Lone Wolf players but it doesn't belong here.

Garth!!!!!!! Attack!

Garth's already been here and he didn't do anything... also, if there isn't a forum for Lone Wolfs then this should really be in the general discussion section, except it's a form of recruitment. Gaah. I'm in favour of leaving it as it is for now.

#44 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Isn't it something about proper nouns pluralising singular entities?

IE. Toronto Maple Leafs, not Maple Leaves.

Basically, everyone in the group is a wolf, and though they are all being grouped together by virtue of what they are, they are not, in fact, a distinct group of 'wolves'; they are wolfs. This is the 'herd of mavericks' school of English.

Nonsense. ;) There is functionally no difference between "wolfs" and "wolves". They both mean the same thing -- more than one wolf.

#45 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

instead of thinking of the site as a place to work together, you can use the site as a place to share tactics and safe organizations to work with.

#46 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 27 April 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

/me watches as you try to form the Lone Wolfs Union and then as a singularity forms above the building sucking everything down past the event horizon; never to be heard from again.

Paradox can not exist, even in the Battletech universe ;)

Actually, as they approached the event horizon they would appear to slow to a standstill from the point of view of someone standing in normal space-time due to the phenomena of time dialation. They would be there for all eternity as far as the human race was concerned.

#47 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Actually, as they approached the event horizon they would appear to slow to a standstill from the point of view of someone standing in normal space-time due to the phenomena of time dialation. They would be there for all eternity as far as the human race was concerned.

I thought it would be the case that from the point of view of someone standing in normal space time they'd accelerate phenomenally fast into the black hole, but from their own point of view, we would be moving at a rate so slow we'd appear to be motionless for all eternity?

Need clarification here. My physics background isn't very strong.

#48 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 27 April 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

The debate itself shows that there is a distraction over the name of the site itself which, even though its technically correct, dissuades people from registering. I recommend changing the name to something that isnt a distraction. Marketing and branding is *all* about comfort and name cognition. You dont want to be known for the odd name of Wolfs even though its correct. Correct has no bearing in this case otherwise this debate will never stop.

Something like The Lair of Wolves or Wolf Space.

So it's a sub-branch of Clan Wolf? ;)

#49 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Guys, I set up a new website for sexy singles who want to stay single, and all the hot tips and tricks for repelling the opposite sex, how come only 1 person signed up?

#50 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostDihm, on 27 April 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

So it's a sub-branch of Clan Wolf? ;)

lol yeah that's something else to avoid. Dont choose a name that can be confused with that clan.

#51 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostHayashi, on 27 April 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

I suppose anything can be made a proper noun even if it's not originally a proper noun. If someone claims to be a Lone Wolf under the banner of a Lone Wolf then it becomes proper, even though the original term for it wasn't a proper noun. In this respect, I'll have to take back what I said and defer to Garth, because I cannot disagree.

It's true, you could make a group of people under a single "Lone Wolf" banner.

You wouldn't actually be lone wolves anymore, you'd be a group, but you could do it.

#52 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostHayashi, on 27 April 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

I thought it would be the case that from the point of view of someone standing in normal space time they'd accelerate phenomenally fast into the black hole, but from their own point of view, we would be moving at a rate so slow we'd appear to be motionless for all eternity?

Need clarification here. My physics background isn't very strong.

Well, relativity states the faster you travel through space the slower you travel through time. So I think falling into a Black Hole takes an instant of time to you, but that instant stretches into an infinity for someone watching the fall from outside. I've never tried it, but I thiink that's how it works.

#53 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostMotionless, on 27 April 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

It's true, you could make a group of people under a single "Lone Wolf" banner.

You wouldn't actually be lone wolves anymore, you'd be a group, but you could do it.

I think it becomes a semantic argument. I thought Hayashi explained it well. There would be no in game unit for them, it's just a place outside the game for people who want to remain unaffiliated to congregate and share their experience. There will be no "structure" or chain of command.

Just think of it like a bar or social club where they can swap fish stories. It's Lone Wolf Cheers.

Edited by Dihm, 27 April 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#54 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Ooo! Ooo! I have an idea! Add an apostrophe. Lone Wolfs' Website. Then, not only would it still be technically correct, it would seem even MORE odd on first inspection! Plus, it would reaffirm to the lone wolves that it's their website. They all together possess it. Encourage team spirit in those who didn't pick a team. Posted Image

#55 acheronlv426

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

If there's a Lone Wolf Cheers I call Norm, then I don't have to pay my tab. But I'll have to listen to that Clavin fellow, and he works for Com Star.....hmmmmmm, does that outweigh the tab ;)

#56 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I figured mechspecs.com would be where they all congregate...or http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/

I figured most of the LW are just Clanners waiting to be added into the game.

;)

#57 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Isn't a forum for Lone Wolves kind of like a group of Anarchists that like to plan things?

There's a term for that: OXYMORON

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 27 April 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#58 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I swear, people are missing the point entirely/purposefully just to make jokes.

#59 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostDihm, on 27 April 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I swear, people are missing the point entirely/purposefully just to make jokes.

Just be glad Dihm that we are fortunate to be part of close knit units and therefore don't have to deal with jokes or indifference. I really hope this takes off so Lone Wolfs have somewhere they can fee appreciated.

People go to bars to socialize and relax - that doesn't mean they are affiliated with the bar, or are in any way less independent individuals...

Edited by Listless Nomad, 27 April 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#60 metalwolf2900

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Locationwrenchin on a damn knee acuator in the garage

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

i for one support this idea, where alot of ppl would see randoms playing out aginst said aligned players, but with said wolf/wolves as a lose community, can become..quite a feirce force if required, then go bout there normal play ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users