970 replies to this topic

#61 walkingraven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 223 posts
  • LocationPort Krin, Antallos

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

I applaud a Lone Wolf Union. In assembling a similar group, I managed to defeat my own purpose and a chain of command fell in under me. I'm still the proud C.O. Of the IMC Browncoats and our goals are much the same.
I hope to count you and each of your comrades as an ally in the future.

#62 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 27 April 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I really hope this takes off so Lone Wolfs have somewhere they can feel appreciated.

Totally. It would suck to shoot people without the will to fight.

#63 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

I am not a lone wolf, but I am a mercenary unit commander. I am offering all lone wolves who A.) don't want to be a lone wolf and/or B.) are looking for a permanent home a chance to try out with Black Widow Company. Cheers.

--ff/bwc

#64 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Philosophical question, but if you band all the "lone wolves" together, are you even a lone wolf? Kind of defeats the purpose.

#65 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostFirefly, on 27 April 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

I am not a lone wolf, but I am a mercenary unit commander. I am offering all lone wolves who A.) don't want to be a lone wolf and/or B.) are looking for a permanent home a chance to try out with Black Widow Company. Cheers.

--ff/bwc

Posted Image

View PostLord Trogus, on 27 April 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Philosophical question, but if you band all the "lone wolves" together, are you even a lone wolf? Kind of defeats the purpose.

Read the earlier posts. ;)

#66 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 27 April 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

They aren't banding together though, so it's a moot point.

It's just an internet watering hole people.

#67 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

You know, I expected as much ;)

As to a Wolf Union, and or the paradox of Lone Wolfs working together, was never in my mind.

I just wanted someplace I could find a job or contract to work with, then relate how it went.

The Site, and it's premise; is a place to Evaluate you House units, and MercCorps. It also a place for you to evaluate a Lone Pilot that you may get as a pick-up.

If half of what I see on here is whats going to happen when MWO goes live, Wow

I just spent the time to create something, and your picking at Wolfs over Wolves..and such

damn

Edited by Opus, 27 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#68 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

A few of us at least have your back Opus, it will just take time to beat it through the heads of others. ;)

#69 Pyer

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'll tell you a secret I'M NOT A LONE WOLF I'M A BOUNTY HUNTER!!

#70 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostPyer, on 27 April 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

I'll tell you a secret I'M NOT A LONE WOLF I'M A BOUNTY HUNTER!!

When I first joined MWO forum, I raised the question of raiders/bounty hunters... not seeing it happen until a few years down the line

its going to be match-play with purpose.. yeah, what purpose...other then dots on a map changing colors..

edit, the beer has reached my fingers

Edited by Opus, 27 April 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#71 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 27 April 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I should be in there as a recruiter

ps - isn't it Lone Wolves not Wolfs?

Nomad that kind of grammatical checking is why I got the title "Former Dictionary".
<<<<<<<Look

Linguistically "lone wolves" is an oxymoron.

You might try " We are gathering together a pack of wolves from those current loners on the boards." But then the individuals cease to be "Lone" (to your point) and therefore become part of a conglomerate, in this case a PACK presumably.

Now.. the other way to get this over the hill with the pail with is to use "Lone Wolves" as a proper name, citing the paradoxical nature and humor in the name by enhancing the oxymoron and elevating it visually in any given comment.

Like saying "Cleveland Browns Football Team", the oxymora and paradox here are readily accessible to even the least skilled in the English language.

* I checked the website out of curiosity and that's awesome guys and gals! Good luck and see you all under the reticle.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 27 April 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#72 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 27 April 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Guys, I set up a new website for sexy singles who want to stay single, and all the hot tips and tricks for repelling the opposite sex, how come only 1 person signed up?

SO your responsible for MWO Forums?

#73 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 995 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 27 April 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Nomad that kind of grammatical checking is why I got the title "Former Dictionary".
<<<<<<<Look

You might try " We are gathering together a pack of wolves from those current loners on the boards." But then the individuals cease to be "Lone" (to your point) and therefore become part of a conglomerate, in this case a PACK presumably.

Now.. the other way to get this over the hill with the pail with is to use "Lone Wolves" as a proper name, citing the paradoxical nature and humor in the name by enhancing the oxymoron and elevating it visually in any given comment.

Like saying "Cleveland Browns Football Team", the oxymora and paradox here are readily accessible to even the least skilled in the English language.

* I checked the website out of curiosity and that's awesome guys and gals! Good luck and see you all under the reticle.

And the problem is? Oxy morons, anti oxy morons? I don't think this thread has shown exclusivity for moronic tendencies...
Think of this, Lone Wolves or Wolfs, is like you say, a proper name. If you say they are a group of individuals, you are right. Yet, they are not four legged wild doggish moon howlers( with maybe an exception or two), so they actually want community, just not willing to make a commitment as of yet, which, now that I think about it, is like a four legged lone wolf, looking for its own community, since it was not welcome at its original place of origin.

wikipedia

Lone wolf of the group

A paradoxical additional term used to describe someone who spends enough time with a group to be considered a member but not enough time to be very close to the other members. Such people tend to not take part in the group activities or "get-togethers". It is also rarely applied to someone who is shy and tends to refer to someone who simply spends most of their time alone.

When applied to military or security groups, it refers to someone who frequently acts on their own accord, insists on working alone, refuses to work with most of if not all members of the group and/or goes against the plans of missions/operations and attempts to complete said task alone.

#74 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Posted Image

#75 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

its kind of like "Anarchists"; they really are very well organized .

#76 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 29 April 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

its kind of like "Anarchists"; they really are very well organized .

in olden days, yes oxymoron, but in the internet world, they do share ideas really well on the matrix

#77 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Good thing you have a website, but only for recruitment. You won't b the ones picking fights and you will most probably play against your own regularly. :P

#78 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

One of these days your eyes are going to fall out from the constant eye-rolling Adridos. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but that is generally a condescending expression.

#79 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostOpus, on 27 April 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

You know, I expected as much <_<

As to a Wolf Union, and or the paradox of Lone Wolfs working together, was never in my mind.

I just wanted someplace I could find a job or contract to work with, then relate how it went.

The Site, and it's premise; is a place to Evaluate you House units, and MercCorps. It also a place for you to evaluate a Lone Pilot that you may get as a pick-up.

If half of what I see on here is whats going to happen when MWO goes live, Wow

I just spent the time to create something, and your picking at Wolfs over Wolves..and such

damn

No good deed goes unpunished... kinda sad....sounds like a grammer class...talk about off topic.

#80 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 27 April 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

No it's not. It refers collectively to a number of unassociated wolves. They are wolves, because there is more than one of them, but they don't necessarily have to be working together in a pack to be referred to collectively.

"Lone wolves work by themselves."
All of them share that quality, and so you can refer to them collectively to make that statement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users