Catapult Cplt-K2 Dual Ac20 Quad Medium Laser

59 replies to this topic

#21 Mordegar

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

The biggest logical flaw with such ballistic boating lore killer mechs is that most of them can't fit this sort of stuff into their hardpoints in table top, while they allowed them to do so in this game. A K2 was supposed to carry a energy heavy PPC or ERPPC loadout and there's not even 1 variant that went for anything bigger than machienguns in their ballistic slots.
Other Mechs like the Dragon have limited slots for missiles or cant even fit a single AC20, why should the Catapult K2 be able to then?

#22 Hellkyte

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

This has got to be a tough mech to run. Haters need to stop and think a bit before they lore-baw. A K2 without PPCs is immediately recognizable, and is almost always going to get primaried if possible. For gauss cats this isn't an issue due to them bein so far behind the lines, and having decent ish speed. This thing on the other hand has to be up close and personal and is also slower than molasses. Staying alive in this will require very good teamwork on your end and very bad teamwork on the opponents end. Still want to try it of course.

#23 Radiohazard

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

I faced off against one of these AC20K2 and it totalled my 4X CTF. It's a good mech, but it lacks one thing for a brawler... armour.

The next game, I alpha struck one to death with a single volley.

I'd take one just for the lols of going toe to toe with mediums and messing with their day.

#24 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostMordegar, on 19 November 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

The biggest logical flaw with such ballistic boating lore killer mechs is that most of them can't fit this sort of stuff into their hardpoints in table top, while they allowed them to do so in this game. A K2 was supposed to carry a energy heavy PPC or ERPPC loadout and there's not even 1 variant that went for anything bigger than machienguns in their ballistic slots.
Other Mechs like the Dragon have limited slots for missiles or cant even fit a single AC20, why should the Catapult K2 be able to then?

Except that's untrue. Go build one with Solaris Skunkwerks and see for yourself, it's quite easily done.

#25 Polk738

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I tried this build but wanted more from my ac/20s so I scrapped the lasers and just went straight ac/20s with 49 shots of ammo. I don't know ANYTHING about the battletech universe so I'm a complete newb when it comes to mechwarrior. I also went with the FF armor which I kind of regret, I think I should've went endo frame instead because I was only running a 190 engine so its slower than hell (can't even keep up with an atlas) However, I've still been very effective with this build when I used it in the right situations. I've only ran out of ammo one time that i can remember an i was the last mech standing in that situation-being slightly slower than an atlas has its advantages since those are the mechs you need to be behind anyway especially ones with AMS. Also this mech basically forces you to stay with your team because you will get smoked if you try to go anywhere by yourself (it still happens to me on occassion when i get too focused on a target and lose situational awareness) So with all that being said its a fun build, its definitely an ego boost to have mech's come around a corner an get stopped dead in thier tracks-2 shots to the cockpit will take down almost anything short of an atlas, blows arms off like they were made of tin, cripples lights if you can get a lucky shot on them.

#26 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostPolk738, on 28 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

I tried this build but wanted more from my ac/20s so I scrapped the lasers and just went straight ac/20s with 49 shots of ammo. I don't know ANYTHING about the battletech universe so I'm a complete newb when it comes to mechwarrior. I also went with the FF armor which I kind of regret, I think I should've went endo frame instead because I was only running a 190 engine so its slower than hell (can't even keep up with an atlas) However, I've still been very effective with this build when I used it in the right situations. I've only ran out of ammo one time that i can remember an i was the last mech standing in that situation-being slightly slower than an atlas has its advantages since those are the mechs you need to be behind anyway especially ones with AMS. Also this mech basically forces you to stay with your team because you will get smoked if you try to go anywhere by yourself (it still happens to me on occassion when i get too focused on a target and lose situational awareness) So with all that being said its a fun build, its definitely an ego boost to have mech's come around a corner an get stopped dead in thier tracks-2 shots to the cockpit will take down almost anything short of an atlas, blows arms off like they were made of tin, cripples lights if you can get a lucky shot on them.

Get rid of the Ferro armor. It sucks compared to Endo. It also increases your armor repairs by a significant amount so you lose out in the long run.

It's fine to take out the MLs for more ammo. The 14 shots the build has is meant for accuracy and really quick fights with the team. The front-loaded damage makes up for the lack of ammo since you can help take down 2-3 mechs really fast in the initial brawl and you can use the MLs later for cleanup when you're dry. It's meant to deal 50% more damage on the 14 AC20 shots (compared to just dual AC20s) then coast with 4 MLs afterwards. It's an early advantage kind thing.

#27 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

With this built I'd get killed in an instant due to constant overheating. I'm way to triggerhappy for so many laser. :P

#28 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDeep Frozen South

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I can't say I approve of taking out anyone in one shot...if I wanted to do that, I'd be in whatever the latest CoD/Battlefield game is...

#29 Alexander 1978

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

This build is nice and shouldn't be called "exploit" and I tell you why I think that.

You claim that in TT the AC/20 was rare and seldom used?
Do you also remember, that 20 damage to a single armour location did way more damage percentage wise then in MWO?

For the sake of longer fights PGI decided that each mech should have double armour, which is in my opinion a good decision for a mech game in real time.

The downside of this was, that the AC/20 lost it's bite so to speak. Because now 20 damage to a single armour location is only half as fearsome. Only a headshot could be leathal with a AC/20.

Therefore a dual AC/20 build is more or less what a single AC/20 was for TT or before they added the double armour.

So no, it is totally ok for this build to be extremely effective at close range and when you're honest you have to admit that.

I'm looking forward to the AC/20 bullet velocity boost that will come soon. I am almost through with my 3rd Hunchback variant and still not sure what class/mech I'm gonna take as my next but the Catapult and the K2 variant are way up the list. Especially this build so thx op for putting this up. :P

Edited by Alexander 1978, 29 November 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#30 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Now updated with a short 'speedkill' on a shutdown Atlas with XL engine just so you can see what it is capable of doing to assault mechs that do not move. Please check the original post. :(

Edited by Elizander, 29 November 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#31 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Oh well, you do know that every mech can be killed in 2-3 salvos from a jenner when first one overloads, don't you?

#32 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

i think i just came.....

tho you have to aim with your torso so i see that as a slight flaw, if your target is high above you or below you you'll have to move yourself into a better spot to take shots. even tho you have the med lasers i'm sure it would be better to use the AC20s just to rip your target apart

Edited by Sid Solis, 29 November 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#33 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostAlexander 1978, on 29 November 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Do you also remember, that 20 damage to a single armour location did way more damage percentage wise then in MWO?

For the sake of longer fights PGI decided that each mech should have double armour, which is in my opinion a good decision for a mech game in real time.

The downside of this was, that the AC/20 lost it's bite so to speak. Because now 20 damage to a single armour location is only half as fearsome. Only a headshot could be leathal with a AC/20.

Do you also remember that you could hit any of ten different locations in the Tabletop, and only a more-difficult hit-or-miss roll allowed you to have any influence on where those shots landed?

Now you can aim for free for head/CT/arm/leg and even a miss has a strong chance of hitting a different location (Atlas head/CT, I'm looking at you)... so 40 damage even to this new doubled armor, that always strikes the same place, way more terrifying than a single AC20 in the tabletop. At least that thing hit me in the arm, then leg, then RT, then other leg. Yours is CT, RT, RT, CT, CT, HD, CT... get the picture?

#34 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostKobura, on 29 November 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Do you also remember that you could hit any of ten different locations in the Tabletop, and only a more-difficult hit-or-miss roll allowed you to have any influence on where those shots landed?

Now you can aim for free for head/CT/arm/leg and even a miss has a strong chance of hitting a different location (Atlas head/CT, I'm looking at you)... so 40 damage even to this new doubled armor, that always strikes the same place, way more terrifying than a single AC20 in the tabletop. At least that thing hit me in the arm, then leg, then RT, then other leg. Yours is CT, RT, RT, CT, CT, HD, CT... get the picture?

Oh i remember, just putting in my 2 cents

#35 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostKobura, on 29 November 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

So why not just play the tabeltop, then? As a real-time, simulation based game, it has to be balanced differently. Stats that work well in a turn-based, odds-based environment don't translate well into an actual game; are things difficult? Yes. Are some things, perhaps, broken? Yes. Does it have anything to do with tabletop canon? No. Get over it. It's a different game.

#36 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Very good 'room clearer' build, does lack long range power but if you're smart enough to set up in a position that forces a close range fight (and minimizes your risk of being flanked) you can wreck several mechs in a row head to head.

#37 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts
  • LocationChicago Ill

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Umm, I ask for a bit of advice...
I have a K2, Endo-Ferro Combo, I thinks that a mistake... 2 LPL and 2 SPL, and AMS with 25 Sinks...
Is this a bad set up, or should I change it up?
I was going to put AC 5s or at least 10s, but I don't have room...
I did have ER PPCs, but I kept overheating like a Toaster! *Waves self...*

#38 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostSteelyDan, on 29 November 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Umm, I ask for a bit of advice...
I have a K2, Endo-Ferro Combo, I thinks that a mistake... 2 LPL and 2 SPL, and AMS with 25 Sinks...
Is this a bad set up, or should I change it up?
I was going to put AC 5s or at least 10s, but I don't have room...
I did have ER PPCs, but I kept overheating like a Toaster! *Waves self...*

Remove Ferro and get DHS. Ferro is usually a bad deal on most mechs.

#39 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

That build is very limited in damage output. You can hit with the strength of a single Gauss rifle (give or take, depending on your accuracy) out to 300 meters, and add a little on top to AC20 damage at 90 meters if you fire all your weapons. Your chassis can mount 2 AC20's or 2 Gauss rifles + some backup weapons and still be heat efficient. If you like the close game, try and AC20 build, if you like the long range game, try the Gauss build. If you prefer energy weapons as a primary, try 2 PPC or large pulse depending on your range preference and 2 Medium Pulse or 2 regular large lasers as backup. Ditch the ferro fibrous for now and get dual heatsinks.

Edited by Monky, 29 November 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#40 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostHammerfinn, on 29 November 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

So why not just play the tabeltop, then? As a real-time, simulation based game, it has to be balanced differently. Stats that work well in a turn-based, odds-based environment don't translate well into an actual game; are things difficult? Yes. Are some things, perhaps, broken? Yes. Does it have anything to do with tabletop canon? No. Get over it. It's a different game.

I believe I was engaged in a discussion directly comparing and contrasting MWO to the TableTop perfectly civilly (despite my flamingly strong opinions on matters similar to these), and attempting to make parallels that would explain that while many items and concepts have survived the transition well, I believe that what is often being done to the K2 chassis is a poor carryover. If I'm not ALLOWED to have this sort of argument... then there are some four-letter words to be delivered one direction or another.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users