Catapult Cplt-K2 Dual Ac20 Quad Medium Laser

59 replies to this topic

#41 Alexander 1978

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostKobura, on 29 November 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Do you also remember that you could hit any of ten different locations in the Tabletop, and only a more-difficult hit-or-miss roll allowed you to have any influence on where those shots landed?

Now you can aim for free for head/CT/arm/leg and even a miss has a strong chance of hitting a different location (Atlas head/CT, I'm looking at you)... so 40 damage even to this new doubled armor, that always strikes the same place, way more terrifying than a single AC20 in the tabletop. At least that thing hit me in the arm, then leg, then RT, then other leg. Yours is CT, RT, RT, CT, CT, HD, CT... get the picture?

You have a point there but even if I did not hit the same location twice in TT 20 damage would only leave heavy or assault class mechs without serious internal damage depending where your hit landed. You could take an arm of a med mech or at least cause internal damage. A leg from a light mech could also be crippled by 20 damage if I remeber correct (has been about 20 years since I last played the TT game so forgive me if I'm wrong). So it did not matter so much where you hit because those 20 points of damage were almost a guarantee for a serious effect on the enemy mech.

Since MWO is far from being a perfect and smooth experience for anyone outside the USA it is way more difficult to land hits.
For me as a european player the let me call it "not optimal" netcode creates "lagshields" for the mechs I try to shoot at.

Then there is the mech movement, weapon cycle time, cockpit shaking from enemy hits, the "heat of battle" and more factors that stress your aiming.

So unless you are shooting at a shutdown mech that stands still without beeing under heavy fire yourself, you may indeed not hit the same location with each shot.

At least that is the current situation.

In a lag free, perfectly smooth running game some of the things that can lead to missed shots may be eliminated but right now for me a dual AC/20 build is closer to a single AC/20 in a TT game then a single AC/20 in MWO.

#42 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

My build is pretty basic but i do have a total of 42 rounds (21 shots) and now that my elite box is unlocked i have a top speed of 53.6KPH which isn't bad at all. I rarely run out of ammo unless im goofing off or my FPS drops below 15 for the remainder of the match which makes your aim sluggish as heck.

#43 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts
  • LocationChicago Ill

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostElizander, on 29 November 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Remove Ferro and get DHS. Ferro is usually a bad deal on most mechs.

How do I remove Ferro, and what is a good Armour spread?

#44 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostSteelyDan, on 01 December 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

How do I remove Ferro, and what is a good Armour spread?

Go back to the Upgrade section and just select standard armor. You'll pay a cheaper fee to switch back. Normally I max out everything except the legs. You can check the armor spread I used in the image in the first post (upper right part of the image). If you don't put any weapons in the arms, you can reduce arm armor too.

#45 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I find a Quad Large Laser Cat to put out similar amounts of DPS, runs much lighter (more heat sinks, armor and better engines), takes no ammo and also has a vastly superior range. Nice build though.

I've gotten several 6 kill rounds with the 4xLL build and a few 1000+ damage games. Sadly when I take screen shoots they just come out as a black screen so I cannot provide any real evidence :/ But it works well, trust me.

Edited by Xenophontis, 01 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#46 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Am going to redo my Guass Cat build to something similar as the Gauss armour is going to be nerfed really bad. I am already scribbling specs down for a dual AC 20 build :D

#47 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts
  • LocationChicago Ill

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostElizander, on 01 December 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

Go back to the Upgrade section and just select standard armor. You'll pay a cheaper fee to switch back. Normally I max out everything except the legs. You can check the armor spread I used in the image in the first post (upper right part of the image). If you don't put any weapons in the arms, you can reduce arm armor too.

I'm sorry, 'nother NooB question...
I click on the Standard Armor, and it says "Too heavy..." Do i have to remove the weapons first, then redo the armor??

#48 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostSteelyDan, on 02 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

I'm sorry, 'nother NooB question...
I click on the Standard Armor, and it says "Too heavy..." Do i have to remove the weapons first, then redo the armor??

Since standard armor provides less armor per ton, yes. Just remove a ton of ammo, swap to standard armor. Should be enough to make the difference.

Upgrade-wise, you always want DHS/endosteel before you install FF armor, as those two will inevitably give you more benefits.

#49 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts
  • LocationChicago Ill

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

View Postwanderer, on 02 December 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Since standard armor provides less armor per ton, yes. Just remove a ton of ammo, swap to standard armor. Should be enough to make the difference.

Upgrade-wise, you always want DHS/endosteel before you install FF armor, as those two will inevitably give you more benefits.

Now, you tell me! :)

#50 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostSteelyDan, on 02 December 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Now, you tell me! :)

Heh. And to make it REALLY clear for all and sundry-

Endosteel's weight savings are not only able to let you mount armor equivalent to the gains you get with ferro-fibrous (and FF armor does NOT increase total protection, it only takes less tonnage to get there), but it'll save you a good chunk of additional weight besides- even on something as dinky as a Commando, endosteel goes on before FF armor. And likewise, the ten engine DHS > mounting any single heat sinks on your 'Mech, as it's effectively 20 SHS simply for your engine "freebies", assuming they're all mounted in the engine. For engines below 250 rating, whatever sinks you have to mount in critical spaces to get up to 10 sinks will run at 1.4 SHS equivalent instead- still better than SHS, as even in the worst case (100 rating engine), you're still getting 4 DHS at 2.0 + 6 DHS at 1.4 = 16.4 SHS equivalent cooling.

By comparison, you won't even save a half ton of weight on lights, and probably won't notice the difference on anything lighter than a Catapult. FF armor is nice when you don't have the weight to spare otherwise, but endosteel gets you that extra weight for the same cost in critical spaces.

(That FF armor tends to expensive to repair is just icing on the cake.)

#51 ChaosAvenger0

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOntario

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I've wanted to build one of these for some time, this thread was a big help.

I only run with 2 medium lasers so I can carry more ammo. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8k4GT2YYY

#52 Damiler

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTunja, Colombia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostSpirit of the Wolf, on 18 November 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Awwww....
b-u-t-t-h-u-r-t about people who find good builds?

Tough **** buddy. Guess what; those builds take skill to use. Something like this build, which, yes, CAN oneshot people, also has the decidely large disadvantage of being a catapult, and more specifically, a K2. People are used to K2s being "exploited", as you put it, and they tend to be priority targets, much like atlai are.
"Any light mech that can run in a circle faster than a heavier mech can rotate"
Seriously? You're gonna go there? That's basically the entire point of light mechs. To be the "paper" to the "rock" of heavier mechs.

"Streak Cats"
Royal pain, yes; even worse before they changed SSRMs to target more than just the center torso. Get used to it, and bombard them from outside their range.

"Dual Gauss Cats"
Also can be annoying, but they have a 4 second firing delay if they don't know how to alternate fire, and a 2 second one minimum if they time them perfectly. Relatively low alpha, compared to what some catapults can do, and their primary danger comes to people who don't know how to turn, or from the rare gausscat pilot who picked it as a sniping mech because they can actually snipe with it.

"Dual AC10/20 Cats"
*See previous comparisons*

"Triple AC Dragons"
You might as well ban triple AC hunchbacks. A hunchback-4G can fit 3x AC2, and it still does almost nothing. A dragon can just move a bit faster, and is 10 tons heavier. Whoop-dee-friggen'-do.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I've seen enough of these posts to last me for the rest of my f***ing life at this point.
It's grating on my nerves quite a bit when someone asks a question or makes a post which has already been beaten well past its demise.

Also, if you complain about this stuff, you're REALLY gonna be pissed about the hardpoints on the Cataphract when it comes out it two days.
Suffice it to say, that some of these builds are transferable to Cataphract models. And they'll be more effective there.

As the Cataphract is now on store, i have one with SSRM2 and x4 AC/2, have got up to 6 kils with it, and can totally core, from 0 an atlas with full armor in 10 seconds. HE WILL SUUUURE BE MAD

#53 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

As a maximum speed Dragon I had fun soloing a build like that in caustic once by reversing faster than it moved forwards just outside its range. Actually... there are a number of popular atlas, Hunchback, and Catapult builds that you can do that to if you have a slight initial range advantage and they move slower than 63 KPH.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 11 January 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#54 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostDamiler, on 11 January 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

As the Cataphract is now on store, i have one with SSRM2 and x4 AC/2, have got up to 6 kils with it, and can totally core, from 0 an atlas with full armor in 10 seconds. HE WILL SUUUURE BE MAD

Do you really need that Streak-2? It feels wrong carrying just one.

Edited by Stingz, 12 January 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#55 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I just reconfigured my K2 ERPPC Cat to use 2 AC/20s and 2 MLs. I had to drop down to a STD200, but Holy Hell!! This is my kind of build. It's so slow that I just use it to guard the base in Assault (because that's all assault is these days is a base cap race). Dumbass Raven trying to cap? BOOM! History. Centurion feeling a bit brandy? BOOM! No arm (runs away). Hunchback thinking he can straight up brawl? BOOM! Several destroyed components. Continues to brawl? BOOM! Toast.

On the other hand, just like with a 6 PPC stalker, if you're alone, you're dead. Takes a good team for this build to realize it's potential.

#56 Scimatth7

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

How do you guys spread your armor on this build?

#57 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Nobody really listed thier build exactly on this yet. Here is mine

CPLT-K2

200 standard engine
11 double heatsinks
endosteel upgrade
2 AC 20 (4 tons ammo in legs)
2 Med laser (arms)
2 Small laser

armor for last guy who posted
H 18
CT 60/41
RT 41/19
LT 41/19
RA 40
LA 40
RL 41
LL 41

I didn't like the heat efficiency of 4 medium lasers. 2 smalls frees up 1 ton. Whether thats for the DHS or just for the armor either way is better in my opinion. Speed is 49.8 without tweek. alphas for 56 with heat efficiency of 1.01.

Edited by Soulscour, 14 January 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#58 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostScimatth7, on 13 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

How do you guys spread your armor on this build?

Augh, sorry. It seems like I messed up the image on an edit. I put it back. The armor should be there.

#59 TheSF934

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have been running this and get at least one kill a match

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62834cb9dd20c73

#60 SprinkleFree

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostTheSF934, on 20 August 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I have been running this and get at least one kill a match

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62834cb9dd20c73

Here, I tinkered with that build a little bit. By switching to ES, DHS, and an XL engine, you can nearly double your firepower, have increased cooling efficiency, AND a faster mech. Voila.

CPLT-K2

Some would argue that having a gauss rifle in the same compartment as an XL engine is risky... The Cat is one of the few mechs that I'm comfortable having an XL on because the side torsos are so small.

Edited by SprinkleFree, 23 August 2013 - 11:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users