A Simple Idea To Implement 3Rd Person In Without Losing The Sim Experience.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Blakout

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Either limit it to trial mechs or set it so you can only battle against others using 3rd person view. That way everyone can still have a fair fight without worrying about some player having a visual advantage.

Leave me your thoughts below.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Why should they ever implement 3rd person to begin with?

#3 Blakout

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 November 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Why should they ever implement 3rd person to begin with?

I personally don't mind if they implement it, but they should only implement it for new players who are starting out and people who want the option. In order to make sure people have a fair advantage, players who turn the option on should only be matched with other players who have the option ticked on. That way one side doesn't have an unfair visual advantage and that way it will be even.

#4 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yet again, rather than posting in one of the OFFICIAL threads on 3rd Person view, we just have to have another one??

#5 Blakout

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

If you want me to move this idea to another post, i'll do so. I only made a seperate post because i thought my post would go unnoticed.

#6 OldGrayDonkey

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I hate to say it, but after my initial thoughts on this, I think if this option is implemented, I will just bail on this game regardless. I was excited about Mechwarrior Online because it continues the Mechwarrior series, a series based on piloting a mech and being in the cockpit. I never did the PNP versions, but I started playing Mechwarrior with theCresent Hawks Inception (an RPG), followed by Cresent Hawks Revenge (RTS) and Mech Commander (Another RTS) (look em up). If you want third person, go play Mech Commander or get someone to make MC3. I really don't want to see this series go this way. Either pilot a mech and deal with everything that means or go play something else. You have sensors, learn to use them.

I am somewhat ok with trial mechs having a third person option since they're not going to be run very often once you get used to it, I also suggested this in the main thread, but the whole thing is starting to leave a bad taste. I don't see why you want to learn in a mode that you won't play in long term, which is what really bothers me. If they put it on the trial mechs, then the next big argument will be putting it on all the mechs.

FYI: Main thread is locked.

Edited by Darkstang, 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Stradius

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostBlakout, on 16 November 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Either limit it to trial mechs or set it so you can only battle against others using 3rd person view. That way everyone can still have a fair fight without worrying about some player having a visual advantage.

Leave me your thoughts below.

I won't necessarily comment on third person view in particular as I have already done that in the main thread but to suggest that only those who have third person to fight against others in third person is a bit weak. This will cause playerbase fragmentation and they'd essentially be running two different games.

#8 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

*IF* they decide to implement it (and I sincerely hope they don't), make it like this: If you want/need to look at the game from outside of your 'mech... Fine, here's a toggle switch, like the freelook button inside the cockpit so you can look around your 'mech while holding the key down. BUT, no shooting and no HUD while looking around in 3rd person. Just looking around, maybe getting your bearings, or see if there's some ****** trying to sneak up from behind. This will also allow people to get screencaps of their 'mechs without making it much of a combat advantage.

EDIT: "Bug" "ger" is censored here?

Edited by DirePhoenix, 16 November 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#9 Ravensol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

ok i'll say it a 3rd person view would fit this game perfectly if used right as a drone. If used to control your mech and everyone could use it oh well. If that is the case you want it use it if not don't. Remember that competitive matches will be back soon the smart thing to do would be let there be a option in the mm for those matches to turn off that aspect of the game. Nobody in a public game is going to care that much but in a competitive match that matters that is totally differant. Of course if they do put it in as a drone that plays into the information warfare role they have talked about very well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users