Why Is There So Much Silence On A Torso Lock Feature?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I just listened to the (infamous) podcast where they discuss 3rd person, and PGI said that they notice how frustrating it was for new people to get into the game because of how a mech handles.

I just want to know why implementing a torso lock option hasn't been addressed by PGI? Have they even acknowledged that this is something they've considered? Personally, I can't understand how they don't TRY a toggle for torso lock. It seems so obvious and so easy to do.

Edit: By Torso lock I mean this:

Pressing a hotkey (let's just say CTRL+C) will lock your torso's movement to the direction your legs are facing. Your mouse will control arm movement as normal, but your torso's horizontal movement is now locked and only controllable with (A) and (D). Vertical movement (and arm movement) remain as they do currently.

Edited by ShadowVFX, 16 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#2 G4M3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

They can do torso lock if they want -- because its a huge disadvantage to those that would use it, so basically who cares.

#3 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Maybe the new players just need to figure it out? I had no issue dealing with it when I first jumped into a game with a "torso twist" feature, just takes a bit of common sense and very little direction.

#4 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

When you say "torso lock", can you explain exactly what you mean? Is it "lock torso to legs"?

Edited by The Cheese, 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#5 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostG4M3R, on 16 November 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

They can do torso lock if they want -- because its a huge disadvantage to those that would use it, so basically who cares.

Unfortunately this. Using this will turn you into a big walking victim. The goal of a 3rd person camera is to help people wrap their head around torso movement. Locking them to the legs just removes the capability altogether.

#6 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

When you say "torso lock", can you explain exactly what you mean? Is it "lock torso to legs"?

Yes i believe he is referring to (For example) when you press (A) your legs AND torso will both twist left do you in theory always move in the direction your facing.

#7 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostDagnome, on 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Maybe the new players just need to figure it out? I had no issue dealing with it when I first jumped into a game with a "torso twist" feature, just takes a bit of common sense and very little direction.

Can we stop with this? Just because you understand something doesn't mean others will.

PGI has data and info none of us do. I'm sure they know far better than us how and why they are losing new players. If you take the time to listen to the actual podcast, he explains it pretty clearly.

I just want to know what they (PGI) thinks of a torso lock option. If it's a bad idea to them, I want to know why. My thought is; it's an option, if a person doesn't like it, they can turn it off. Where's the harm in that?

Edited by ShadowVFX, 16 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#8 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostDagnome, on 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Common sense is in fact uncommon.

#9 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

as asked above, is the op meaning something like locking the torso to face the same way as the legs? if so, it might be pointed out that to fire weapons in this manner, one would have to move in a straight line towards the target (or even worse, stand still facing them). does the inherent danger of making your mech an easy target not seem to offer an excellent reason not to do it?

#10 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostShadowVFX, on 16 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Can we stop with this? Just because you understand something doesn't mean others will.

PGI has data and info none of us do. I'm sure they know far better than us how and why they are losing new players. If you take the time to listen to the actual podcast, he explains it pretty clearly.

The reasoning behind his 3rd person suggestion is due to new players not understanding the torso twist fixture. Putting players in 3rd person would allow them to visually see the difference between leg direction and torso movement. They are "losing" new players because:

A ) Too much of a "grind"
B ) Trial mechs suck
C ) Lack of teamwork i mean.. "Premades" are too good
D ) They think this is a "released" product and don't know what the term "open beta" means.

Edited by Dagnome, 16 November 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#11 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postcmopatrick, on 16 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

as asked above, is the op meaning something like locking the torso to face the same way as the legs? if so, it might be pointed out that to fire weapons in this manner, one would have to move in a straight line towards the target (or even worse, stand still facing them). does the inherent danger of making your mech an easy target not seem to offer an excellent reason not to do it?

It might be difficult for someone who knows what they're doing in this game to fathom: But some people WOULD prefer that. At least until they know what they're doing. Running straight at an enemy and landing a few hits before dying beats walking into a building and not knowing how the hell to get out of the stupid starting zone.

#12 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Why would you need this.

#13 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostShadowVFX, on 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

It might be difficult for someone who knows what they're doing in this game to fathom: But some people WOULD prefer that. At least until they know what they're doing. Running straight at an enemy and landing a few hits before dying beats walking into a building and not knowing how the hell to get out of the stupid starting zone.

Does it really require that much common sense (Or more than a game or two) to actually figure that out? I think your severely underestimating the intelligence of new players. The problem I have with allowing a torso lock feature is a new player will start using it and continue to use it and then become terrible at the game because they still will not understand the torso twist concept.

#14 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostShadowVFX, on 16 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

I just want to know what they (PGI) thinks of a torso lock option. If it's a bad idea to them, I want to know why. My thought is; it's an option, if a person doesn't like it, they can turn it off. Where's the harm in that?

Yes and those whole 21 users in the poll that want this feature will surely be the make or break for the game. The 2300 that said no way, all probable to leave are a much more important group.

#15 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostLugh, on 16 November 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yes and those whole 21 users in the poll that want this feature will surely be the make or break for the game. The 2300 that said no way, all probable to leave are a much more important group.

WTF poll are you talking about? I'm not asking for 3rd person. Please read the post before commenting, you could save yourself a lot of wasted time.

#16 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Wow... sometimes I wonder how can people have so much trouble with torso twisting? I never had that problem since the first time I played Mechwarrior 2. It works just like controlling a tank and its turret. It's pretty damn easy.

#17 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

If you want to play with torso lock then simply bind all functions to your keyboard and never touch the mouse.

#18 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Press right control: it's bound as "free look" in the controls.
When you're holding Rctrl mouse moves arms only and not torso.

It does not lock torso to legs, but you can hit C then hold Rctrl for the same effect.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

there should be a lock torso toggle

there should be a lock arms reticle to torso reticle toggle

and there should be a rotate legs to torso button (all we have now is rotate torso to legs which is useless)

#20 InspGadgt

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I really don't have too much issue with torso twist...Where I run into problems is when backing up. The controls are the opposite of what most people are used to. Early on we were told there would be options to have the controls reversed when backing up but as far as I know those have not yet been implemented. If they have please let me know so I can turn them on!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users