10 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

This is my most recent Atlas build after playing around with my Dual AC20 / Quad Medium Laser K2 and the main focus is pretty much just blowing a huge friggin' hole clean through your opponent.

I was checking and the trade off between the Atlas variants with the D-DC is that I swap (2) Energy Hardpoints for (1) Missile Hardpoint. Given that 2 energy points can do a maximum of 12 damage (Medium Pulse) for 10 heat, I decided to go with the D-DC to get one extra SRM6+Artemis for 15 damage and much less heat. The build can and will run hot but it is manageable and it kills things so fast it's not even funny.

(Note: I will edit the image later with the usual format but I'll use this for now)

Posted Image

Here's a summary until I get the main image done:

LA -> ER PPC + DHS (Using Large Laser now)
RA -> ER PPC (Using Large Laser now)
LT -> SRM6 + Artemis (x3)
RT -> AC/20
LL -> AC/20 Ammo, SRM + Artemis Ammo
RL -> AC/20 Ammo, SRM + Artemis Ammo
Head -> SRM + Artemis Ammo

Armor: Max except legs which have 50 armor each

You can harass and return fire at long range with the 2 ER PPCs but that's just for show. Try not to get too damaged in the long-range fight and wait for the enemy to get within range of everything else then just let everything lose in one go. You can do around 2 Alpha Strikes before you shut down. Medium mechs die in 1 usually same goes for anything shot in the back.

Weapon groupings are:

1 - ER PPC (x2)
2 - AC/20 + SRM6 (x3)
3 - ER PPC #1
4 - ER PPC #2

And that's it. Get within range and they really won't have a chance to fight back if you don't miss. Anything mildly injured is as good as dead if you have good aim.

Again, I repeat, I am not a good player. I got lucky again today on my first game with this config. I didn't even think we would win 'til I started one-shotting all the 64 kph medium mechs and blew up their Atlas in 2 alphas.

Posted Image

Sample gameplay. These are normal clips from matches with mistakes included so you can see what room for error you can have. It's possible to get a kill streak of 3-4 mechs if you get good shots at them and they will go down in around 2 alpha strikes. Lights might die instantly if they do not strafe. Again, this is not a show of skill. The purpose of this video is to show the build in action so you can judge for yourself if it's worth purchasing the parts for.

I had clips of harassing missile boats with the large lasers but they were too boring. Just know that you can make them back off if you hit them constantly or have some cover and that it has enough heat sinks to handle firing the two large lasers for a long time.

As usual comments, suggestions and criticisms are welcome. :(

Other References:

MECHWARRIOR ONLINE BUDGET SAVING TIPS / GUIDE (AS OF NOV 14)
Hunchback HBK-4SP (5x) Medium Laser (2x) SRM6
Catapult CPLT-K2 Dual AC20 Quad Medium Laser
Atlas AS7-D-DC Budget ECM Assault
Mechwarrior Meme Thread!

Edited by Elizander, 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#2 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

I've done something similar with my RS.

I call it the Derp Gun, in honor of the 155mm KV from WoT.

1 Guass and 4 PPC.

55 damage alpha from across the map. It's always fun to kill lights and mediums in a single volley. :3

#3 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostVechs, on 19 November 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

I've done something similar with my RS.

I call it the Derp Gun, in honor of the 155mm KV from WoT.

1 Guass and 4 PPC.

55 damage alpha from across the map. It's always fun to kill lights and mediums in a single volley. :3

I want to test it more extensively but I only get good internet connection some days and certain times. I know my net is really bad when I miss on powered down mechs. Once I get a few more good games in where my shots don't go to limbo I'll update.

I'm testing this with a lower heat build using LL instead of PPC (more DHS) and Gauss, but it has less oomph than this one. ;)

I tried 4 ER PPC on RS, the heat was like 80% on the first Alpha! :o

#4 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

ER PPC aren't very efficiently atm. If you need range than use Gauss+PCC and SRM6 for short range.

This is my D-DC:
1x LL, 1x PPC, 1x Gauss (4t) - for accurate damage and weakspots or heads
3x SRM6 (2t) - for CQB
std 325
Upgrades: ES, DHS
Heat eff: ~1.15, but it's fine because you will almost never fire an α strike.

I usually do between 500 and 800 dmg.

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

View Postred devil2, on 19 November 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

ER PPC aren't very efficiently atm. If you need range than use Gauss+PCC and SRM6 for short range.

This is my D-DC:
1x LL, 1x PPC, 1x Gauss (4t) - for accurate damage and weakspots or heads
3x SRM6 (2t) - for CQB
std 325
Upgrades: ES, DHS
Heat eff: ~1.15, but it's fine because you will almost never fire an α strike.

I usually do between 500 and 800 dmg.

They really aren't efficient and I don't use them much for long range. I really just go in close and Alpha Strike/shutdown 99% of the time with this build with all weapons in range. Using Large Pulse is an option for less heat and same damage. I might give it a try once I buy my A1 since I don't have any LPS lying around at the moment. ;)

#6 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Interesting setup. I may ditch my as7k and try this build.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image

Most kills were pretty much 1v1 or 1v2 which didn't mean much cause the first mech always died in like 5 seconds. I also snuck up on a Raven and I think he died before most of the missiles detonated when I shot him in the back. I ran out of ammo on the last 2 enemy mechs while my last team mate got the Streak Cat I had to 1v1 an Awesome. I couldn't core him due to lag shooting (I tend to hit left arm and left torso) and I did get his torso out but I had no more frontal armor then and died.

Again, not skill. Enemy mechs I fought in River City hit walls and got stuck so that gave me enough time to Alpha them 2 times and that's that. Plowed through everything from lights to assaults. Again, like my K2 build, it is ammo dependent and I ran out before the end of the match leaving me with 2 energy weapons (LL). This is a modified version with 2x LL instead of 2x ER PPC and more sinks.

I hope I get more days when I don't lag so I can try this build out more. It's just as fun as my dual AC20 quad Medium Laser K2 :(

Edit: Replacing with names blurred out. I keep forgetting.

Edited by Elizander, 29 November 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

D-DC is the best atlas variant by far. Especially because of ECM and the extra module slot.

Mines running:
x2 Medium Lasers
x1 Gauss
x3 SRM6
360XL engine (goes 62 kph)

Once modules and ECM come into play the real advantages of it will become more apparent.

Edited by Khobai, 29 November 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#9 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm running mine with 3xSRM4's, 2x ER Large Lasers, and Gauss. If I want to forego range, I like 2xLarge pulse, 3xSRM4's and LBX10.

Both have been quite good.

#10 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

My D-DC runs a 350 XL, eighteen double heatsinks, gauss rifle (four tons ammo), three SRM 6's (three tons ammo), and two lard lasers. Can plow through two other atlases before I have to have to alternate fire for heat. Probably gonna drop a ton of gauss ammo or a heatsink and half ton armor from the legs to fit ECM when it's goes live.

Overall, excellent variant if you want 1000+ damage in matches. :)

#11 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Also, don't know if you guys were playing during closed beta, but back then atlases could fit the 400 std/xl engine. Was hilarious steam rolling other mechs with knock downs! Can't wait for MASC, especially if we can fit the 400's again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users