0.0 - Rear View Camera?

56 replies to this topic

#21 Gun Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostAlondo, on 29 April 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

@ Gun Bear. Radar isn't the same as seeing. It helps sometimes to see more than a Dot on the radar. Claw55 said it best I think. Plus from a visual aspect it helps with immersion. Heck, modern fighter pilots have radar, yet they're trained to "Keep your head on a Swivel." Sometimes the Mk1 eyeball is the best.

See... too me this actually proves my point, you shouldn't let them get there in the first place.

#22 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Am I missing something here? I just re-watched for the idk how many times this makes, the game play trailer, and I did NOT see the view to be a compressed 360, so, again, I think a Refacing cam is a GOOD idea. and this is @Gun Bear: if your in an assault, unless you leg the faster mechs, they WILL end up behind you, theyd be stupid to fire head long into an assault mech.

#23 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Most assault mechs have more armor on their back than an entire light mech does on its body; if you can maneuver properly and make use of terrain and cover one light 'mech on your back isn't the end of the world and you can always out-pilot them if you work at it. Also as i mentioned before you have teammates for that reason; if someone gets behind you there should be someone there to make them wish they hadn't.

#24 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I know for fact... that if im in my light mech of choise and I run into an Assult Mech or most Mech larger than me, I sure am not going to try and go toe to toe with them and am going to make sure to stay in their rear arch where I can do my best damage. And that will be hit and run taking legs out so my larger lance mates can take you out a lot easier :P

View PostGun Bear, on 29 April 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Most assault mechs have more armor on their back than an entire light mech does on its body; if you can maneuver properly and make use of terrain and cover one light 'mech on your back isn't the end of the world and you can always out-pilot them if you work at it. Also as i mentioned before you have teammates for that reason; if someone gets behind you there should be someone there to make them wish they hadn't.
but you better believe that if you are an assult mech, im going for those legs :D Now if i wasnt a honerable fighter, I may go for the head ON PURPOSE but I dont believe in it if I can help it. The lightest armored spot on an Atlas is its head.

#25 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostGun Bear, on 29 April 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

One problem with this whole team mates thing. No built in VOIP from MWO, so coordination will be iffy at best, and if your in a PUG, then good luck getting a cohesive team. and no matter how good you think you are in that assault mech, theres gonna be that one lil scout you failed to spot on radar or just didnt see and hes gonna start drillin into your back. Willy Wonka and his choco gods know, I loves me a good heavy or assault mech, but, those blasted gnats or uh scout/lights are just bloody quick.

#26 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 29 April 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I know for fact... that if im in my light mech of choise and I run into an Assult Mech or most Mech larger than me, I sure am not going to try and go toe to toe with them and am going to make sure to stay in their rear arch where I can do my best damage. And that will be hit and run taking legs out so my larger lance mates can take you out a lot easier :P

but you better believe that if you are an assult mech, im going for those legs :D Now if i wasnt a honerable fighter, I may go for the head ON PURPOSE but I dont believe in it if I can help it. The lightest armored spot on an Atlas is its head.

You are a better man than me, I usually use a medium 'mech and that left eye might as well have a bulls eye on it...

#27 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Turn torso 90 degrees and look out side window :P

#28 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostGun Bear, on 29 April 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

You are a better man than me, I usually use a medium 'mech and that left eye might as well have a bulls eye on it...
When I play for a House like Kurita... I tend to play how I have always read them to be and that is to be honoable in battle. So while not all head shots are preventable, I will not aim at the head or cockpit if I can help it. NOW... If I ever get to play Clan... same applies here. While the Clans for the most part found it dishonerable to hit the head or even in the back, once their enemy showed no respect, all bets were off lol

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 29 April 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#29 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm playing a merc, I'm there to survive and get payed and I'm also there to win so that I get payed better in the future :P

#30 Makaveli

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

No, not standard. You will have to buy a trim package that includes pinstriping, satalite radio and convenince package IV.

#31 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

put rear mounted LRM in back?

where? in it's as$? so enemy can die in most humiliating way?

#32 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostMakaveli, on 29 April 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

No, not standard. You will have to buy a trim package that includes pinstriping, satalite radio and convenince package IV.

Does that include an undercarriage protection fee and headlight fluid warranty? I'll take 3

#33 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Rear-facing camera is a good idea but I also want to suggest a front-facing one: a camera that feeds the view of where the mech is going as opposed to where mech torso is faced, not unlike the one they had in Steel Battalion. Navigating through obstacles with your torso turned all the way to the side, especially in the urban environment, could be extremely collision-prone. You either have to turn the torso forward from time to time or try to guess your surroundings from the satmap. Both such tactics are flawed as the former makes you move your reticle from the target(for quite some time as torso twist speed could be quite low on some mechs) and the latter is not that reliable in many cases.

#34 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Devs hve said that we will not have rear firing weapons or arm flipping. I agree that a rear view camera would be useful. There is also no guarantee that our sensors are 360 degrees. If you look at the details for the various computer/sensor packages fitted to different mechs thay all had different ranges and arcs. It is almost certain that we are not going to have the "god mode" radar/sensors of previous games which did away with the need for scouts.

#35 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Without a rear view camera, how in the hell am I going know if that "big" "bad ***" enemy mech, that I am running away from, is gaining on me... LOL <_<

#36 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Radar. LOS from teammates. BAP.

#37 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Well i do need i rear facing camera otherwise i will crush stomp the dunkin donut shop when i am parking to pick some sweet snack.

But seriuosly it would be really usefull to have a small screen in the cockpit with the rear view.

#38 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostAttalward, on 30 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Well i do need i rear facing camera otherwise i will crush stomp the dunkin donut shop when i am parking to pick some sweet snack.

You need a Tim Hortons; think Dunkin Donuts x 10,000,000

View PostAttalward, on 30 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

But seriuosly it would be really usefull to have a small screen in the cockpit with the rear view.

Or perhaps a key/joystick button to press that would flash up a rear view at a better resolution so you can actually SEE what is behind you. Think Forza Motorsports where you can quickly press a button and flash the rear view to see where your opponent is then flash back by letting it go.

#39 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Maybe I'm imagining things but at one point didn't the devs suggest that you could swap the non-vital in-cockpit MFDs to a rear camera as one of the options? So you could see it at the same time as your forward camera, similar to driving games?

#40 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

If I can't have a rear facing camera, I at least want to be able to mount the oversized trailer towing mirrors on my 'Mech's nose.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users